#21 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:15 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on March 3rd 2010, 07:16 PM, said:

Yay!  Portal and Half Life for my PPC!  ::glares at forum as if to say "don't pop my bubble"::

Heh heh heh.  Heh.  Heh heh.  Heh.  ::pops tBC's bubble::  Given that this is the second-longest Apple has ever gone between Mac Pro updates, it should be any...day...now....

--Eric

#22 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on March 4th 2010, 12:20 AM, said:

I have a feeling from the job posting a while back that source will be natively ported.

Anyway, this feels to me like one of those impossible things that are actually coming to pass!

Using one of those ads as my desktop background right now: screenshot
You may well be right about any ports being native. It also seems timely that Apple are adding "significant support" for APIs in OpenGL 3.0 in their next SL update, 10.6.3.  Hopefully, those improvements will tempt a few more game developers back to the Mac platform:

Support for OpenGL 3.0 added in beta build of OS X 10.6.3

Quite agree that after all the rumours, it's great to finally see some concrete signs of progress & things steadily coming together in this respect.  Looks promising overall, though I still have a few reservations until we get the official announcements. - BTW, quite a striking desktop (no pun intended).

#23 halprin

halprin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:40 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on March 3rd 2010, 06:16 PM, said:

Yay!  Portal and Half Life for my PPC!  ::glares at forum as if to say "don't pop my bubble":: Yay for me!  Yay for my PowerPC!  Woohoo!  Steam!
Hey man, glad to see you still have a PowerPC Mac!  Sadly mine peed itself.  It was the Dual 2.7 Ghz Powermac G5 and the only one that was liquid cooled.  About a year ago it sprung a leak and all the liquid coolant leaked and oxidized all over the processors and power supply.  I decided to retire that Mac and save up for a new Mac Pro instead of repairing the G5.  I tell you, that was a hard decision!  Now I am waiting for the next Mac Pro revision to click the buy button.  Anyways, here's to you and your PowerPC Mac and may it have many more long years ahead for it!

P.S.  Thanks for the birthday wishes!

#24 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:25 PM

Interesting.... Hell did froze over after all, huh?

Must be enough Mac's in circulation with enough gamers behind them to be financially attractive for Valve to add OS X to their targeted market.

Who would ever had thought that.... :huh:

#25 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:03 PM

View Postjackdawsson, on March 3rd 2010, 08:28 PM, said:

You may well be right about any ports being native. It also seems timely that Apple are adding "significant support" for APIs in OpenGL 3.0 in their next SL update, 10.6.3.  Hopefully, those improvements will tempt a few more game developers back to the Mac platform:

Support for OpenGL 3.0 added in beta build of OS X 10.6.3

Quite agree that after all the rumours, it's great to finally see some concrete signs of progress & things steadily coming together in this respect.  Looks promising overall, though I still have a few reservations until we get the official announcements. - BTW, quite a striking desktop (no pun intended).
I'm happy too that OpenGL 3.0 support looks to be finally coming, although I doubt it is directly related to Valve's interest in OS X. Valve's games aren't very hardware intensive and I don't believe they use any DirectX 10 features at all, which are an important part of what OpenGL 3.x bring to the table. With Leopard still being the most popular version of OS X, presumably Valve will want the minimum requirements to remain 10.5.8, which only supports officially supports OpenGL 2.1 in the software renderer while all graphics drivers officially report OpenGL 2.0 or lower although additional OpenGL 2.1 extensions are supported.

I am hoping that Valve isn't just porting Steam and a few Valve games to OS X. It'd be great if the Source Engine itself could be ported to OS X so that any developer could simply take their code-base and compile it directly to PC, XBox 360 or Mac. This is in contrast to Source Engine support for the PS3, which I believe was actually ported game by game, and the Source Engine itself can't generate code for the PS3. Having another Mac friendly game engine is always a good thing seeing the UE3 Mac support seems to be in limbo while id Tech 5 seems a while away.

Personally, I'm surprised the Source Engine hasn't been ported to the iPhone OS given that's where most of the Apple related news is nowadays. Especially now that UE3 is going to have iPhone support while OS X support is in limbo. The Source Engine seems to be well suited to the iPhone given that it's a very light engine by modern standards and a very flexible engine with code paths for DirectX 6 all the way to DirectX 9.0c. The Source engine's DirectX 6 and 7 code paths would translate well to the 1st and 2nd gen iPhone and iPod Touch's PowerVR MBX, while DirectX 8.0/8.1/9.0/9.0c paths could target third-gen and higher hardware with the PowerVR SGX and shader support. Supporting all devices from the same code base compared to UE3 which only supports third-gen hardware and higher.

On another note, given that IMG previously reported that Gabe Newell wanted $1 million from Apple to bring Half Life 2 to Mac, I wonder if there is any chance bringing Steam and Valve games to Mac has anything to do with Steve Jobs' recent statements on spending their $40 billion cash reserve to "think big"?

#26 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:38 PM

View Postltcommander.data, on March 3rd 2010, 10:03 PM, said:

On another note, given that IMG previously reported that Gabe Newell wanted $1 million from Apple to bring Half Life 2 to Mac, I wonder if there is any chance bringing Steam and Valve games to Mac has anything to do with Steve Jobs' recent statements on spending their $40 billion cash reserve to "think big"?

If he's spending some of the $40 billion then I sure hope they got more then just Valve doing some work. For a few billion they could make a big push with new GPU's and some contracts from game company's to put out native ports for mac. Also maybe some partnerships with AMD or Nvidia
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#27 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

You know, I'm wondering if Gabe isn't being pushed into this direction, in some small way, by the potential of OnLive? If it works as expected (and that is still a big if), providing AAA titles cross-platform, distribution by "purchase" and rental, then Steam is going to be one of the losers in the gaming sphere (along with brick and mortar stores like Gamestop). Just a thought.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#28 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:40 PM

View Postclocknova, on March 4th 2010, 09:15 AM, said:

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but. . .

I recently purchased the Windows version of Orange Box.  I really hope that they will allow me to download the Mac version, either for free, or for a nominal fee.  If not, THIS SUCKS!!!
Yeah, if this does not work, I will be pissed. I also just bought it a few weeks ago.

View Postclocknova, on March 4th 2010, 09:32 AM, said:

This certainly does look good.  With the existence of Boot Camp and products like Crossover, the only real future that Mac gaming has is for more gaming companies to port and publish their own Mac versions.  If Blizzard and now Valve can do it, more will come on board.

Now, if only we can get Bethesda. . .
Hmmm, I wonder when that would happen, as Hell has frozen over.

View PostEric5h5, on March 4th 2010, 12:15 PM, said:

Heh heh heh.  Heh.  Heh heh.  Heh.  ::pops tBC's bubble::  Given that this is the second-longest Apple has ever gone between Mac Pro updates, it should be any...day...now....

--Eric
When was the other update?

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#29 varcos

varcos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:29 PM

See! The Saints win the Superbowl and now Half-Life on a Mac! Everyone was worried about the year 2000, it seems like the crazy stuff is happening in the year 2010.  I'm going to hide under my bed now, call me when half life is out.  It'll be fine to be turned to dust by an asteroid if I don't know what's going on around me.

#30 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:51 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on March 3rd 2010, 08:57 PM, said:

You know, I'm wondering if Gabe isn't being pushed into this direction, in some small way, by the potential of OnLive? If it works as expected (and that is still a big if), providing AAA titles cross-platform, distribution by "purchase" and rental, then Steam is going to be one of the losers in the gaming sphere (along with brick and mortar stores like Gamestop). Just a thought.

It seems to me that unless Valve has greased quite a few palms OnLive is probably going to have a bigger selection of games. However not everyone has the type of connections needed for HD gaming over OnLive like me for example... where I live I can only get 1.5Mbps DSL. When I lived in another town where I had cable the latency on it was bad and I could not play games like Doom 3 multiplayer. So only those people lucky enough to be in areas with low latency high speed connections will be able to fully take advantage of OnLive. I'd rather go with games on steam than deal with the lag and low image quality I'd most likely have to put up with.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#31 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:52 AM

View PostEric5h5, on March 4th 2010, 02:15 AM, said:

Heh heh heh.  Heh.  Heh heh.  Heh.  ::pops tBC's bubble::
What the Battle Cat did to Eric after he burst tBC's bubble:
Posted Image

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#32 rhywun

rhywun

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:36 AM

So a slightly-higher percentage of the world's best-selling games will make their way to the Mac - yay, I guess. Will it result in any games which don't make it in the Valve universe, making it to the Mac?

#33 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:08 AM

This is an awesome news! If they don't let me use my PC serials i will going to buy them again, this is a dream come true.
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#34 Jeyl

Jeyl

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Steam Name:Jeyl
  • Steam ID:jeyl1984

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:35 AM

View Postrhywun, on March 4th 2010, 04:36 AM, said:

So a slightly-higher percentage of the world's best-selling games will make their way to the Mac - yay, I guess. Will it result in any games which don't make it in the Valve universe, making it to the Mac?
That depends on you. Just because they're released, doesn't mean more will be on the way. If you want games that aren't made by Valve to come over to the Mac, well, this new move by Valve has to be successful to a certain degree. And the best way to do that is to actually buy their products. And when other studios see that Mac users do indeed buy games from Valve to a rate that they actually can make money, why wouldn't others follow suit?
Processor: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Mac OS X Version 10.7.3

#35 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:21 AM

View Postltcommander.data, on March 4th 2010, 03:03 AM, said:

I'm happy too that OpenGL 3.0 support looks to be finally coming, although I doubt it is directly related to Valve's interest in OS X. Valve's games aren't very hardware intensive and I don't believe they use any DirectX 10 features at all, which are an important part of what OpenGL 3.x bring to the table. With Leopard still being the most popular version of OS X, presumably Valve will want the minimum requirements to remain 10.5.8, which only supports officially supports OpenGL 2.1 in the software renderer while all graphics drivers officially report OpenGL 2.0 or lower although additional OpenGL 2.1 extensions are supported.

I am hoping that Valve isn't just porting Steam and a few Valve games to OS X. It'd be great if the Source Engine itself could be ported to OS X so that any developer could simply take their code-base and compile it directly to PC, XBox 360 or Mac. This is in contrast to Source Engine support for the PS3, which I believe was actually ported game by game, and the Source Engine itself can't generate code for the PS3. Having another Mac friendly game engine is always a good thing seeing the UE3 Mac support seems to be in limbo while id Tech 5 seems a while away.

Personally, I'm surprised the Source Engine hasn't been ported to the iPhone OS given that's where most of the Apple related news is nowadays. Especially now that UE3 is going to have iPhone support while OS X support is in limbo. The Source Engine seems to be well suited to the iPhone given that it's a very light engine by modern standards and a very flexible engine with code paths for DirectX 6 all the way to DirectX 9.0c. The Source engine's DirectX 6 and 7 code paths would translate well to the 1st and 2nd gen iPhone and iPod Touch's PowerVR MBX, while DirectX 8.0/8.1/9.0/9.0c paths could target third-gen and higher hardware with the PowerVR SGX and shader support. Supporting all devices from the same code base compared to UE3 which only supports third-gen hardware and higher.

The hopeful part of me says, how great for Mac gaming, Apple really should do this, etc. I'd also second Sneaky's reply in hoping there'd be a bigger contingency plan to take things even further by bringing more game developers on board & bringer a better gaming option on the Mac hardware side.  My realism however thinks otherwise & that it's probably unlikely. Going by what Jobs' said, sure it seems highly likely that Apple will be making a major acquisition soon. I just don't expect any of that money to be invested in gaming-related ventures.

However, if Apple surprise me on this, then I'd also hope that they would back the venture with the introduction of the oft-mentioned Mac mid-tower.  Can't see it though as Apple's focus seems to be increasingly directed on mobile computing platforms.  :(

But some very good points overall. I just hope that all this excitement doesn't become a huge anti-climax if this Steam service turns out to be related to distributing games for iPhone & iPod Touch, rather than Mac OS X.

#36 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:44 AM

View Postikir, on March 4th 2010, 05:08 AM, said:

This is an awesome news! If they don't let me use my PC serials i will going to buy them again, this is a dream come true.

Please don't tell Valve that.  Most of us who bought the PC versions are NOT willing to spend the money again, and we don't want them thinking they can get away with it.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#37 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:23 AM

View Posthalprin, on March 3rd 2010, 05:40 PM, said:

Hey man, glad to see you still have a PowerPC Mac!  Sadly mine peed itself.  It was the Dual 2.7 Ghz Powermac G5 and the only one that was liquid cooled.  About a year ago it sprung a leak and all the liquid coolant leaked and oxidized all over the processors and power supply.  I decided to retire that Mac and save up for a new Mac Pro instead of repairing the G5.  I tell you, that was a hard decision!  Now I am waiting for the next Mac Pro revision to click the buy button.  Anyways, here's to you and your PowerPC Mac and may it have many more long years ahead for it!

P.S.  Thanks for the birthday wishes!
Thanks and you're welcome.  We've got the same model Mac but the only thing peeing itself here is me waiting for the next Mac Pro revision.

View PostJanichsan, on March 3rd 2010, 11:52 PM, said:

What the Battle Cat did to Eric after he burst tBC's bubble:
Posted Image
I've been joking about it, but it turns out that it's true, Eric really does live in his parent's basement.  And I didn't threaten his mom, I simply bit through her car tires.  She is such a drama queen.  Splains some things about Eric eh?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#38 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:12 AM

Naturally, none of that is true.  tBC just doesn't want to admit that when his bubble was burst, he had a "senior moment" (without his litterbox) and hid under the stairs.

--Eric

#39 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

View Postclocknova, on March 4th 2010, 04:44 PM, said:

Please don't tell Valve that.  Most of us who bought the PC versions are NOT willing to spend the money again, and we don't want them thinking they can get away with it.

And what about an upgrade?
maybe 50%-75% off the price to buy mac version of your already purchased pc titles?
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#40 Wolfchild

Wolfchild

Marathon: Resurrection

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on March 4th 2010, 07:23 AM, said:

Thanks and you're welcome.  We've got the same model Mac but the only thing peeing itself here is me waiting for the next Mac Pro revision.

Is that what that smell is?

In any case, I'd probably be willing to pony up $40 each for for an OS X version of TF2 and Portal even though I already own Orange Box - provided they were quality ports and get equivalent frame rates.  I've more than got my original money's worth of fun out of the Orange Box.  As a game franchise, Team Fortress 2 is having some real legs, thanks entirely to Valve's continually upgrading it with new features, items, achievements, maps etc.
What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?