57 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8553 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:06 PM

Valve Software today sent out various teaser images to popular Mac and PC web sites confirming its intent to not only bring its digital download platform to the Mac, but will also be bringing its catalog of games to the Mac as well.

IMG has learned that Steam for the Mac has been in the works for well over a year and was first shown to Apple at last year's WWDC event back in June 2009. Since then the company has been porting its client along with several games to the Mac. It is expected that a full announcement will be made at next week's Game Developer's Conference, which is scheduled to run from March 9th to the 13th.

Several web sites have speculated that Portal and Team Fortress 2 will likelly be the first games to be ported.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 iEvan

iEvan

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:07 PM

The cake is not a lie!

Remember guns don't kill people... Pfhor do.

#3 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

I like their humor (and Mac culture references) in their various teaser images. Which have, according to MacRumors, shown clear hints of Half Life, Team Fortress, Left4Dead and Portal. (Though not necessarily all right away.)

Now that Quake Wars has me hooked on class-based team shooters, my first interest is in Team Fortress!

The idea of online-only software purchasing would once have appalled me, but the App Store (and a few indie titles) have won me over. Save energy, resources, time and money. And for us mobile users: no disc checks!

#4 iEvan

iEvan

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

Goodbye Windows 7 and hello extra drive bay for storage! (A spy is sapping my Bootcamp)

#5 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3845 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

View PostiEvan, on March 3rd 2010, 04:10 PM, said:

Goodbye Windows 7 and hello extra drive bay for storage! (A spy is sapping my Bootcamp)

Bingo. Goodbye BootCamp partition. Orange Box is the only reason I have it. Now, hopefully, my one Steam account will work on OSX.
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#6 Jeyl

Jeyl

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Steam Name:Jeyl
  • Steam ID:jeyl1984

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

Oh, baby. This is it. I'm so going for this first day.
Processor: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Mac OS X Version 10.7.3

#7 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but. . .

I recently purchased the Windows version of Orange Box.  I really hope that they will allow me to download the Mac version, either for free, or for a nominal fee.  If not, THIS SUCKS!!!
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#8 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

R U P O P S N I Z Z L I N me? Wow, one of the the greatest catastrophes in Mac gaming history, Valve pulling the plug on Half-Life for Mac, has finally been righted. I can't wait to fire up HL 2 on my Mac. :lol:
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#9 iEvan

iEvan

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

View Postclocknova, on March 3rd 2010, 05:15 PM, said:

I recently purchased the Windows version of Orange Box.  I really hope that they will allow me to download the Mac version, either for free, or for a nominal fee.  If not, THIS SUCKS!!!

Steam isn't quite like iTunes. If you were to format your PC, simply reinstall Steam and re-download all the games for free. Hooray for digital downloads (although I'm nutty enough to pay for a Mac Special Edition if one was released as I sent an e-mail to Gabe Newell years ago promising him that I would.. and I still honour that).

#10 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

View Postbookman, on March 3rd 2010, 05:23 PM, said:

R U P O P S N I Z Z L I N me? Wow, one of the the greatest catastrophes in Mac gaming history, Valve pulling the plug on Half-Life for Mac, has finally been righted. I can't wait to fire up HL 2 on my Mac. :lol:

I'm half- er. . . crapping you.  I will be seriously pissed if I have to repurchase the whole package for Mac (heck, just a week ago I bought Half-Life:Source), but I am extremely happy to see this announcement and am excited for the games to come.  It's great to see another game developer, like Blizzard, doing their own cross-platform work.  It means better support and, quite frankly, better ports.  And since the Mac and PC versions are coming from the same company, I hold out hope that they will be interchangable.

View PostiEvan, on March 3rd 2010, 05:25 PM, said:

Steam isn't quite like iTunes. If you were to format your PC, simply reinstall Steam and re-download all the games for free. Hooray for digital downloads (although I'm nutty enough to pay for a Mac Special Edition if one was released as I sent an e-mail to Gabe Newell years ago promising him that I would.. and I still honour that).

Except that version of games for different platforms are usually treated as separate products.  That is especially the case when the PC version comes from the original developer, and the Mac version comes from a porting house.  Paying for one does nothing for the company that made the other.  However, since both versions will ostensibly be coming from Valve, there is hope.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#11 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

With Blizzard, EA(partially), and now Valve on-board, I think I am set for Mac gaming for the foreseeable future. Glad I never succumbed to the Windows fad.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#12 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

View Postbookman, on March 3rd 2010, 05:30 PM, said:

With Blizzard, EA(partially), and now Valve on-board, I think I am set for Mac gaming for the foreseeable future. Glad I never succumbed to the Windows fad.

This certainly does look good.  With the existence of Boot Camp and products like Crossover, the only real future that Mac gaming has is for more gaming companies to port and publish their own Mac versions.  If Blizzard and now Valve can do it, more will come on board.

Now, if only we can get Bethesda. . .
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#13 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2510 posts
  • Steam Name:Mister Mumbles

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

Interesting. Even though Valve may have worked on this for a year or so, it still seems like a sudden turnaround from their previous stance when they just didn't seem to care unless someone threw a truckload of money at them.

I hope those ports are all native and not Cider-based (yuck!), and they better be cross-platform, too!
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#14 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

View PostPegasus, on March 3rd 2010, 11:08 PM, said:

Interesting. Even though Valve may have worked on this for a year or so, it still seems like a sudden turnaround from their previous stance when they just didn't seem to care unless someone threw a truckload of money at them.

I hope those ports are all native and not Cider-based (yuck!), and they better be cross-platform, too!
I welcome this as much as anyone else. Best Mac gaming news in a while!  However, I'm also very interested to find out whether these will be native or Cider ports, or will it matter that much to the average Mac gamer?  I suppose even Cider ports would still be a positive move for many Mac gamers, as long as it allows them to avoid Windows altogether or frequent rebooting.

#15 halprin

halprin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:50 PM

Awesome!

#16 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

What is Gabe smoking?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

Late 2012 iMac 27" Corei7 3.4ghz GTX 680 MX 8gb RAM 3tb FusionDrive
Now Playing: Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2

#17 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2701 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:15 PM

*Pure Joy, soon followed by Pure Despair as SS realizes what GPU he has in his macbook*

Ugh, now I need to upgrade my Mac.
- Snake

Tulkas - 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 16 GB RAM || ATi 4870  ||  512 GB Crucial M500 + 2 TB WD Black || OS X Mavericks
Odinheim - Core i3 4150 @ 3.5 GHz || 16 GB RAM || GTX 760  || 120 GB Vertex 4 + 1 TB Seagate SSHD || Win 7 Pro x64

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15794 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

Yay!  Portal and Half Life for my PPC!  ::glares at forum as if to say "don't pop my bubble":: Yay for me!  Yay for my PowerPC!  Woohoo!  Steam!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:20 PM

View Postjackdawsson, on March 3rd 2010, 04:24 PM, said:

I welcome this as much as anyone else. Best Mac gaming news in a while!  However, I'm also very interested to find out whether these will be native or Cider ports, or will it matter that much to the average Mac gamer?  I suppose even Cider ports would still be a positive move for many Mac gamers, as long as it allows them to avoid Windows altogether or frequent rebooting.

I have a feeling from the job posting a while back that source will be natively ported.

Anyway, this feels to me like one of those impossible things that are actually coming to pass!

Using one of those ads as my desktop background right now: screenshot
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#20 Agent5

Agent5

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:23 PM

Having given up on this happening I went and invested myself in the Gamer'sGate service, now owning thirteen games through them. The idea of frequenting two separate online distribution portals doesn't appeal to me all that much. Decisions decisions. I suppose I'll have to take a wait and see approach.