Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:56 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 04 October 2011 - 07:37 AM, said:

Looks like reviewers are giving the game quite a hard time.. And a 9 hour campaign? Daaamn...
Well, it's id. Their games never were known for deep plots and great characters. But that really sounds disappointing. The demo I played on the GamesCom was pretty fun for the roughly 10 minutes I was allowed with it, but if that's really all there is, that wouldn't carry the game for long... :(

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#162 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

Eh?  Seems to be mostly 9+/10 and 4+/5 reviews, judging from this anyway.

--Eric

#163 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:06 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 04 October 2011 - 07:37 AM, said:

That page is from '09 so quite outdated.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#164 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

Broken, buggy mess on the PC. I would advise anyone to stay away for now. Playing for an hour I experienced a lot of the below issues, and the game hard crashed on me 3 times in addition to constant texture issues.  EPIC fraking fail on id's part. Seems like everyone falls to the consoles eventually. So very sad.

Issues:

No Custom settings for Video Cards
No Console command Read here to enable the console key: http://forums.steamp...;.php?t=2154191 & via config file here http://forums.steamp...;7&postcount=89
No Vsync options – Results in screen tearing – Forcing Vsync causes the game to crash the drivers and game(AMD)
Unable to skip intros??? To disable the intro videos put this “+set com_skipIntroVideo 1″ in the launch options of Rage Via Steam.
Mouse acceleration?
Can’t use Crossfire or SLI..
Bad FoV for PC’s – Short-term solution: FOV adjustment howto

Bugs:
Texture Streaming is bad and slow resulting in always reloading the same textures thus causing the textures popping in effect –

Missing/blinking textures…
Game crashes when exiting the Arc.
LoD issues(popins dispersing items)
Crashing after intro video
Audio stuttering and not blending properly.
Occasional Artifacts appearing- http://img812.images...;0322215294.jpg
Low Frame rates with occasional fps spikes
Loading saves causes videocard drivers to crash…
Game Fails to start with error code #51.

Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#165 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

View PostEric5h5, on 04 October 2011 - 09:00 AM, said:

--Eric
well, then here is the anti-thesis :
http://arstechnica.c...-ever-gamed.ars

:)
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#166 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

Some of the problems where kind of foreshadowed by Carmack's Quakeworld 2011 keynote:

"There's a spectrum of behavior you can expect where the worst behavior you can expect is is if you take a DVD with a 360 without any hard drive which means that every texture that you pull in has to come in off of the DVD. We do a bunch of smart stuff to go ahead and know where all the textures are schedule all the reads batch them up, try and read linearly. But the bottom line is you want to have a new piece of texture data on there and it can take 150 milliseconds on a bad case or something to pull that in and the screen might be made up of 1000 different little pieces.. so in a worst case it can take 15 seconds for every last little bit of detail to come in and I know we're going to get dinged some by that… there are going to be people that run up and and if you want the recipe to make things look as bad as possible it's uh.. kind of back your way into something with a high sensitivity you know walk backwards through town then flip around and look at something you haven't had any chance to do. And it'll come in and it'll be blurry and it'll come in and work its way in. And that is just the reality of the way the technology works that we have to deal with. But we do a lot of work to make this not an issue."

"I've got my 80 degree field of view"

"Here we are at the point with all these broken up little texture blocks on there. If we loaded them directly from the DVD or even the hard drive at that point you would have a significant lag. You'd be going around… every time you turned a little bit it would have to bring in a whole row of pages and that doesn't work particularly well. We started off on the PC with that where if you have a ton of memory and you look at everything once after you've gone through it it stays sort of in your buffer cache and that's not too terribly bad. But on consoles we had to manage everything ourselves."

"We're treating the PC as a muscular console at this point"
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#167 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:22 PM

View Postmindnoise, on 04 October 2011 - 12:55 PM, said:

well, then here is the anti-thesis :
http://arstechnica.c...-ever-gamed.ars

:)

Ouch - almost makes it sound like they would be doing us a favour not to port it (not that lack of a Mac version can ever really be a good thing).
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#168 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:52 PM

View PostEric5h5, on 04 October 2011 - 09:00 AM, said:

Well, that's what seven years of stoked expectations and the name of John Carmack can do. But there are several not too favourable reviews.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#169 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

On the other hand part of the issue is notoriously bad OpenGL drivers for Windows especially for AMD\ATI which don't have the same kind of issues on OS X.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#170 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 04 October 2011 - 02:44 PM, said:

On the other hand part of the issue is notoriously bad OpenGL drivers for Windows especially for AMD\ATI which don't have the same kind of issues on OS X.
You'd think they'd have time to prepare for it seeing how long RAGE has been in development. There should have also been work done on the OpenGL driver to better support Heaven, although I suppose they were probably only optimizing for the specific benchmark there.

http://www.phoronix...._item&px=OTk2OQ

Michael Larabel's been told that the Linux version is expected in 2012, so I guess the Mac version won't be out this holiday season unless Aspyr has a surprise up their sleeves.

#171 lewdvig

lewdvig

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:15 PM

By the time the Mac version is out the bugs will be sorted out and there might be some good DLC. I can wait.

Right now I am starting Portal 2, and shocked at how well it plays on my modest little MBA 11 i5.

#172 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:02 AM

http://www.geforce.c...w-simple-tweaks

An interesting note about RAGE, is that it uses CUDA to decompressing the textures on the GPU if it has extra cycles between processing graphics.

http://www.google.ca...MDmq9skbIPrSKcg

However, id has also said they were planning on supporting OpenCL for this task as well. Hopefully, they'll have that implemented by the time they ship for Mac. Finally an OpenCL accelerated game.

#173 dag

dag

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

Did anyone else try this game on Bootcamp on an ATI/AMD graphics powered iMac? I posted a thread about
The issues I experienced on the windows gaming forum.
System specs:
iMac 12,2 (27", Mid 2011)
Intel Core i7 3,4 GHz
12 GB RAM
256 GB SSD, 2GB HDD
AMD HD6970M with 2GB RAM

Mac OS X - Lion
Windows 7 (Bootcamp)

#174 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

I'm playing the PS3 version and I'm well beyond 9 hours already, and I just reached a place called Subway Town which I'm told is just past the halfway point. I think whoever beat it in 9 hours put it on easy and charged through it without doing any side missions or exploring.

My only real complaint with the game so far is the story is bland compared to what they could have done with it, and that texture pop-in is just meh in large areas. That said, it's fun to play, and not short at all.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#175 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

View PostFrost, on 09 October 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

I think whoever beat it in 9 hours put it on easy and charged through it without doing any side missions or exploring.
At least the Joystiq reviewer says he finished most side missions, but doesn't mention his difficulty level.

#176 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:55 PM

The patch from the other day makes the game playable finally and minimizes the texture pop-in. I'm about 6-7 hours in. The game is fun, but as someone said above, it could be so much more. The game hints at lots of depth, or has room for it, but really has none. It gives the illusion of it openness but is really strictly linear. Its like they designed all this framework and structure for a much greater, better game but never made it. Oh well, maybe Rage 2.

Its an okay game, but far from being worth $60 in my opinion. I'd give it a 6/10 or maybe 7/10 at the most.  The consolization is painfully evident in much of the design and some of the gameplay mechanics and its too bad we can't get a real PC game from id, but rather a console game that we can simply play on our computers. Such is life these days.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive