iGame Radio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on January 26th 2010, 11:05 AM, said:

Need (must haves to buy)
- something between the power/storage of the iPod touch and 13" MacBook Pro
- real, all-day battery life (real-world, not in Steve's absolute-zero fridge)
- decent pricing (between a top end iPod touch $400 and the low end MacBook, $1000) ... $699 and $849 (high end model?) ... $599 would be better
- no forced data contracts for 3G connectivity (if it has it at all?)

It would be incredibly stupid to *not* have power/storage between that of the iPod Touch and 13" Macbook Pro. There would be no point to Apple releasing something that was equivalent in power and storage to an iPod Touch...for far cheaper, they could just stretch the edges of an iPod Touch and call it a "tablet". That's what Ballmer did.

All-day battery life? LOL! Nothing has true all-day battery life right now. I don't expect Apple will improve upon that yet.

Pricing, though, most all analysts have been putting between $500 and $1000, so you will probably get your wish.

Considering that Apple is rumored to be booting AT&T out the door very soon, I highly doubt you'll be seeing any forced data contracts (as in, you must have a data contract with this particular telecom). But required to have a data contract? You can chat with the telecoms about that one.

Wants
- 10" diagonal screen (I, too, have a cardboard mockup of that size and that size is delicious)
- ability to run new versions of iLife/iWork '10
- light, sleek industrial design
- new UI thinking (get ride of desktop folders metaphor)
- ability to run current iPhone apps
- always on connectivity through multiple 3G cellular partners (see below)
- ability to run new apps that get recoded for device ... e.g., Coda, Acorn or Pixelmator, Sketchup, PopCap stuff etc

Some have quoted 7" for the screen, but I'm really thinking that that will be too small for what this device would need to do, so I think you'll get your wish there.

Considering that the device is supposed to be running on the iPhone OS, which is a mobile version of Mac OS anyway, I would be very surprised if you wouldn't be able to run iPhone apps. I would expect you would be able to run a trimmed down set of iLife/iWork software. Ditto on the 3G.

Light, sleek industrial design? Uh, this *is* Apple. They can't even send out boxes that don't look cool.

Up until a day or two ago, I wouldn't say you'd get the new UI concepts. Then I saw the rumor all over of Jobs' statement that this would be the most important thing that he had ever done. Considering that this would probably be an overstatement (c'mon, the Apple ][, the Mac, the iPhone, the iPod...*these* are revolutions!), even so he'd have to so something well beyond cool software and connecting various ways of thinking about hardware to make this "the most important thing". So, maybe you'll get this wish.

You're going to get new apps recoded for the device, but I doubt much in the way in recoding is needed...or at least, I would say no more than most ports from Mac to iPhone would need (for the backend). Course, I know a lot less about the coding side then I do other things, so feel free to tell me I'm talking out my ass here.

Fantasy (these would be nice, but so would an anti-gravity belt)
- new Sketch/paint app (or a version of something like Scribbles or ArtRage that can run on it)
- bundled MobileMe account
- data plans through multiple carriers cheap ... 10GB for $20/month, no three-year contracts required
- hell, why not, let's also toss in some form of cloud-based iTunes/apps thingy too
- no Flash
- and it needs to make bacon, too (not too crispy though), and give massages like Frigidman's iSexBot

The sketch/paint app would be awesome. In fact, I would be surprised if you didn't see something like that, as well as some kind of photoshopping tools available as well. This would be the perfect device to use for that kind of manipulation.

MobileMe account bundled: in your dreams.

The data plans through multiple carriers? Uh, maybe it's because I got in on the ground floor, but my carrior (the dreaded AT&T) gives me $20/month for *unlimited data* (well, now $30 since I have the 3GS). I'd really rather have that one, thanks.

The cloud-based stuff is the future, and I think that Apple really needs to take heed if they want to remain in the forefront. That said, Apple is not a company that does cloud-based technology. If you mean that it should place iTunes in the clouds...perhaps. I would have thought that was already the case, but maybe I'm wrong.

No Flash. Java. Definitely Java.

Regarding your last request: You can get your own bacon, thankyouverymuch. And the bed is over there. Lube in the top drawer. Enjoy.
Omaha Sternberg
Host
iGame Radio

#22 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

View PostOmaha Sternberg, on January 26th 2010, 06:36 PM, said:

The data plans through multiple carriers? Uh, maybe it's because I got in on the ground floor, but my carrior (the dreaded AT&T) gives me $20/month for *unlimited data* (well, now $30 since I have the 3GS). I'd really rather have that one, thanks.

Regarding your last request: You can get your own bacon, thankyouverymuch. And the bed is over there. Lube in the top drawer. Enjoy.

$30/month unlimited data? What country do you ... oh, yeah, the states. Here, for example, Bell charges $100 for their iPhone plan with 3GB. Rogers charges $75/2GB and you can buy additional 500MB for $40. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see this thing launch US-only. Heartbreaking, sure, but if Rogers/Bell aren't willing to dish out decent data rate plans for the time being .....

Lube and bacon! Oh! Party at Omaha Sternberg's place! I brought the Jell-O!

P.S. Tiny lie. I just found Rogers offers a separate data plan ... 3GB for $60/month. sarcasm->Hurray for Canadian wireless companies!

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#23 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:50 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on January 26th 2010, 07:04 PM, said:

sarcasm->Hurray for Canadian wireless companies!

Sounds like Omaha's lube would be pretty handy when dealing with them.

--Eric

#24 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:03 PM

View PostEric5h5, on January 26th 2010, 04:50 PM, said:

--Eric
So, is Omaha's Lube available in drug stores or do you have to deal with unsavory online spambots?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#25 Omaha Sternberg

Omaha Sternberg

iGame Radio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

View PostEric5h5, on January 26th 2010, 04:50 PM, said:

--Eric
Well, you know that bacon seems to be really popular in soooo many products...

;)
Omaha Sternberg
Host
iGame Radio

#26 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

I think the problem with Apple naysayers is that they are focused on the short term, what they need now, and specs. (No one here btw, I'm refering to the usual tech pundits who diss Apple at every turn.) You now, the ones who said Apple' early iPods were too expensive and didn't do everything that other MP3 players at the time did.

But Apple isn't designing for now, it's designing for what we will need a decade from now. Building devices to make their vision of a future come true. I suspect the tablet, if there is one, is nothing more than a most elegant window and gateway to all of our information and media in the future. We'll hear the usual naysayers tomorrow and there will be some (seemingly) technical or cost disappointments with this v1 thingy, but five years from now we'll all have one. Preaching to the choir, I know.

Now, can someone pass the bacon?

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#27 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:33 PM

So whats with this offer to test out the 4G iPhone? Should I have not deleted it as spam?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#28 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:11 AM

View PostFrost, on January 27th 2010, 08:04 AM, said:

I could totally do with an iSexBot too. Custom-tailor her how you like, and best of all, if she starts getting too clingy or annoying, you can just turn her off for a while till you get the urge for her company again. Perfect!
Why not just make a clean slate of it, so there is no history, and everything can be started afresh. ;)

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#29 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:07 AM

View PostOmaha Sternberg, on January 27th 2010, 10:36 AM, said:

Some have quoted 7" for the screen, but I'm really thinking that that will be too small for what this device would need to do, so I think you'll get your wish there.
It would be rather delicious if the screen was 9", just like the original Macintosh.

#30 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:41 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on January 27th 2010, 01:11 AM, said:

Why not just make a clean slate of it, so there is no history, and everything can be started afresh. ;)

Liberator.

A clean "slate" ... tee-hee.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#31 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:43 AM

I wrote this to an ex-co-worker and fellow Apple fan this AM ...

Bad news? Given that I suspect what this tablet is meant to be a decade now is the first of our "always on data access appliances" I have a very very bad feeling that it will not be offered in Canada anytime soon.

In the US you can get an unlimited 3GS data plan from AT&T (plus phone plan) for only $30.

Rogers, here caps the plans at 3GB, and Bell at 2GB. You can buy a separate data plan from Rogers ... 2GB for $60. That's half a legally purchased HD movie from iTunes.

Given that Rogers and Bell have the CRTC in their control (all but), and they are still stuck in some early 20th Century fantasy about how they need control and how people are supposed to use data, I don't think they're going to be offering an affordable data plan for a device like this anytime soon.

I sure hope Apple proves me wrong by making them do that or having their own carrier or something, but I'm getting a bit depressed this morning that that will, in no way, ever happen soon. Which means no tablet in Canada.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#32 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:19 AM

View PostFrigidman, on January 26th 2010, 08:33 PM, said:

So whats with this offer to test out the 4G iPhone? Should I have not deleted it as spam?
I can't find it to give you an opinion.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#33 Omaha Sternberg

Omaha Sternberg

iGame Radio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:28 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on January 27th 2010, 05:43 AM, said:

I wrote this to an ex-co-worker and fellow Apple fan this AM ...

Bad news? Given that I suspect what this tablet is meant to be a decade now is the first of our "always on data access appliances" I have a very very bad feeling that it will not be offered in Canada anytime soon.

In the US you can get an unlimited 3GS data plan from AT&T (plus phone plan) for only $30...
Now one thing to note is that Verizon just recently stated that they are seriously considering putting a cap on data usage for smartphone data plans here in the States. And because the rumor is that Apple is ditching AT&T and may go with Verizon, AT&T might be stimulated to do the same.

Now if Apple were to just open up the field for all telecoms, that would be an entirely different story...
Omaha Sternberg
Host
iGame Radio

#34 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:13 PM

Well, the unveiling is pretty much playing up to expectations so far.

9.7" screen (IPS for the win!), 0.5" thick, 10 hours battery life, 16GB and up memory. I think the kicker here, though, is that the CPU and GPU is an Apple custom made system on a chip. It's ARM, hence why it does all the iPhone apps with no problems, but it'll be damned interesting to see how it stacks up against its direct family. The tegra, snapdragon etc. etc. All of which are also based on the same ARM tech...

I'm not too keen on the styling, though. I know it needed a bezel for you to hold onto, but I just think it looks stupid... A much much better design, whilst still being fairly practical, would have been to emulate the iMac's design, with a big ass chin on the long edge made out of brushed aluminium. When you hold it portrait, its easy for your left or right hand to grab on to, and when you're holding it landscape, it'll be slightly unwieldy anyway.
I just think that'd look better.

One thing I do like it the size. 10" is gonna give you plenty ability to hold it in one hand and type with all your fingers using the other.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#35 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:27 PM

I've looked at the images on Engadget (http://www.engadget....the-apple-ipad/ ) I must say I don't like the design and the 'iPhone's big brother' idea makes it look like the Playschool "My First iPhone - phone."  

Is this supposed to be an alternative to a netbook?  Pricing is going to be a big determiner of how well this sells.  I have a MacBook Pro, a desktop PC and an iPhone.  I see no use for this device in my life. (although one might argue I already have too many devices in my life.)

Is anyone really hyped about this thing?  If so, to what use do you see yourself using it?

#36 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

I like it. I'll finish saving for the next 90 days (until the 3G version hits the streets and see what deal Apple can make with Canadian wireless companies like Rogers and Bell. $30/month unlimited is a dream, even some reasonable cap is OK (20-50GB?) but both companies are going to have to offer a hell of a lot more than 2GB and $60/month in fees for any sale from me. Plus I think Steve will really have to twist arms to get a no-contract thing flying up here.

But overall, I liked it. A lot. Everything I expected pretty much.

Nice to see Sketches (which means SketchBookX will be available) the remaining questions are: multitasking? notifications? locally storing files ala dropbox, and, for me, some form of code editor/ftp app?

I was very happy with the pricing ... my last tweet was 599/699/799 but I was too high. On an Apple product, no less.

@J'nathus ... use it for everything I currently do on my MacBook and my iPod touch, combined, as my computing needs are becoming trimmed way down with time. Less a few minor things (aka code editing and image editing via Photoshop for web) I will simply do, instead, on my iMac at home.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#37 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:51 PM

Well, what pricing do you get for data only 3G USB sticks? 'cos that's pretty much what it'll be, no doubt about that.
In fact, since you can buy it from Apple outside of the contract, you can then just nab yourself a cheap and cheerful one of those sticks (make sure it's got the right type of SIM card) and just use that.

The more I look at the design the more I dislike it. Of course, I imagine it'll look a lot better in real life, but that bezel is just too damned big and so hideously noticeable in those images.

EDIT: ugh. 1024x768? Is this 1999? come on! everything should be either 16:9 or 16:10 by now, with obvious minor conceits to small devices like phones where video isn't one of the primary focuses. Watching movies on this is going to be like peeking through a literal as opposed to the usual metaphorical letterbox.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#38 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:00 PM

So, there it is – the fabled Apple tablet, aptly named the "iPad". And it is...

...an oversized iPod touch.

Posted Image

I'm completely unimpressed.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#39 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

Seriously, what's the point?

1. It's not a good eBook reader. There's a reason why (most) dedicated eBook readers like the Kindle use eInk displays and thus limit themselves to black and white or grayscale at the best: readability. No liquid crystal display can provide the same contrast and clarity as eInk.

2. It's not a good portable media player. Okay, it's a really good media player – but not really portable. You can surely carry it around with you, but just look at the size of that frigging thing: it certainly doesn't fit in your pocket and to lug it around, you'll need a decently sized bag.

3. It's not really a netbook competitor. As limited and cheap (in every regard) netbooks are, they still have an advantage over the iPad: they run a fully featured operating system with fully featured software – which makes some more appealing for work. The portable iWork is surely nice, but still no equivalent of MS Office (as despicable as it is – it is the standard). Furthermore, netbooks have a real keyboard – out of the box. The touch keyboard of the iPad is pretty useless for real work (how the hell are you supposed to hold that thing while typing anyway??) while the additional keyboard dock (for which we still don't know a price) reduced its portability.

It really surprises me, but this is probably the first Apple product for a long time that does not tempt me at all. Not. The. Slightest. Bit.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#40 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

Yeah, I gotta admit that I think Apple coughed up another Cube. Oh well.

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."