82 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

"If you annualize our quarterly revenue, it's surprising that Apple is now a $50+ billion company," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "The new products we are planning to release this year are very strong, starting this week with a major new product that we're really excited about."

This from the outstanding financial call going on this afternoon. Hude profits for Apple.

But what is this "major new product" STeve is referring to?

I've not heard anything about that.  :happy:

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#2 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on January 25th 2010, 05:06 PM, said:

"If you annualize our quarterly revenue, it's surprising that Apple is now a $50+ billion company," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "The new products we are planning to release this year are very strong, starting this week with a major new product that we're really excited about."

This from the outstanding financial call going on this afternoon. Hude profits for Apple.

But what is this "major new product" STeve is referring to?

I've not heard anything about that.  :happy:

I would be really interested in the tablet for school but only if it has full iWork functionality and video out (to do presentations). I have my doubts, but we'll have to wait and see.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#3 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

I would totally buy a tablet if it had the ability to unite with other tablets, take over the world, and enslave humanity to serve me as Ruler of Everything for eternity.  Also it should be able to squeeze oranges so I can have some nice fresh orange juice.

--Eric

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

Not even Steve's RDF can make an iTablet seem useful to me. It better be able to do something flat-out amazing or this is gonna be underwhelming.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

Im interested to see what they bring out, but I don't think I'll be getting one or find one useful.
It'll also be interesting to see how it's received by critics and the public alike.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:09 PM

My guess is that it will be the iWidget, proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that Steve is barking out his arse anymore.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

I, for one, welcome our new Tablet overlords.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#8 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:10 PM

Whatever it is, Jobs and Co. will find a way to make us need it. I think the only real question right now is wether it will be a glorified iPhone or a small touch panel Macbook

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

Its the new "iTV Anywhere" device. It basically picks up the satellite receptions from DishNet and DirecTV and gives you all channels all the time no matter where you are in the area of coverage for those providers. Its a little larger than the iPod touch, but just as slim and pocket friendly. Has an out plug to go directly into any TV's HDMI port for full screen viewing. Charge lasts 8 hours. Usual accessories available.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#10 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:44 PM

Do we start on specifics now?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#11 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:33 PM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on January 25th 2010, 10:10 PM, said:

Whatever it is, Jobs and Co. will find a way to make us need it.

Indeed: http://www.penny-arc...omic/2010/1/22/

--Eric

#12 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:59 PM

:lol:

The sad thing is that it would probably apply to some people. Yeesh!
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#13 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:11 AM

The tablet is totally going to turn out to actually be the iPhone Video. As in, it makes video calls. Comes with two little suction cup mounted cameras that you stick to the screen on the other person's pupils so it doesn't look like the participants are staring at each others' toes.

Screen with tactile feedback optional, for those "extra special" calls.

#14 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:21 AM

I'll hold off until Wednesday, but when the alleged iSlate (or whatever) turns out to be what the rumour mill says it will be, I will deem it pointless.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#15 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:45 AM

View PostTesseract, on January 26th 2010, 07:11 AM, said:

Screen with tactile feedback optional, for those "extra special" calls.

They really should make it with force feedback, so that if you punch the screen in the person's face, their iSlate will jump up and smack them one...

They should also make an X rated version. All those kids are gonna forget sexting if Apple releases what's tantamount to being a sex bot...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#16 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:49 AM

View Postteflon, on January 26th 2010, 05:45 AM, said:

They really should make it with force feedback, so that if you punch the screen in the person's face, their iSlate will jump up and smack them one...

They should also make an X rated version. All those kids are gonna forget sexting if Apple releases what's tantamount to being a sex bot...

iSexBot

mmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:11 AM

View PostFrigidman, on January 26th 2010, 06:49 AM, said:

iSexBot

mmmmmmmmmmmmm.......
Poor Frigidman's been all alone in that big new house of his a little too long.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on January 26th 2010, 10:11 AM, said:

Poor Frigidman's been all alone in that big new house of his a little too long.
LOL

-Fm [1oM7]

#19 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:05 PM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on January 25th 2010, 10:10 PM, said:

Whatever it is, Jobs and Co. will find a way to make us need it. I think the only real question right now is wether it will be a glorified iPhone or a small touch panel Macbook

I broke my "wishes" for the tablet-thingy into three lists ... need (to buy), want, fantasy. I actually have approval to buy, based on the current household finances, given my criteria. To answer your question, AMG, I definitely need it be something more than a large iPod touch, but yes, less than a MacBook Pro. I will not be buying if it's nothing more than a glorified (aka big) iPod touch.

I assume at a minimum it has WiFi 802.11N access. And multiple colours like the nano (just like the invite perfectly matched the iPod nano colours; it is a consumer device after all).

So without further ado, and so that we may mock me tomorrow after noon (Eastern time) when I'm remarkably wrong, here is my list ...

Need (must haves to buy)
- something between the power/storage of the iPod touch and 13" MacBook Pro
- real, all-day battery life (real-world, not in Steve's absolute-zero fridge)
- decent pricing (between a top end iPod touch $400 and the low end MacBook, $1000) ... $699 and $849 (high end model?) ... $599 would be better
- no forced data contracts for 3G connectivity (if it has it at all?)

Wants
- 10" diagonal screen (I, too, have a cardboard mockup of that size and that size is delicious)
- ability to run new versions of iLife/iWork '10
- light, sleek industrial design
- new UI thinking (get ride of desktop folders metaphor)
- ability to run current iPhone apps
- always on connectivity through multiple 3G cellular partners (see below)
- ability to run new apps that get recoded for device ... e.g., Coda, Acorn or Pixelmator, Sketchup, PopCap stuff etc

Fantasy (these would be nice, but so would an anti-gravity belt)
- new Sketch/paint app (or a version of something like Scribbles or ArtRage that can run on it)
- bundled MobileMe account
- data plans through multiple carriers cheap ... 10GB for $20/month, no three-year contracts required
- hell, why not, let's also toss in some form of cloud-based iTunes/apps thingy too
- no Flash
- and it needs to make bacon, too (not too crispy though), and give massages like Frigidman's iSexBot

And I still say the name iBook is in the running, although I do like Canvas. I want this thing to redefine what a mobile PC "is" ... it should be powerful enough to do most basic app tasks on its own, but also act as a portal back to a desktop unit (and maybe run apps that way as well?). I know there are nay-sayers who will never ever use a flat tablet to type on, but there is no denying that if this thing meets more than 50% of basic expectations, it will sell like mad.

PS Apple awarded 13 patents today ... many of which tied directly to tablet-like-things.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#20 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:04 PM

I could totally do with an iSexBot too. Custom-tailor her how you like, and best of all, if she starts getting too clingy or annoying, you can just turn her off for a while till you get the urge for her company again. Perfect!
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.