Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:36 PM

Well, I've clocked 10 hours so far and have just about finished recruiting everybody. So far, there are some things I like more than Mass Effect 1, and then there's nearly everything I like less.

What I like more:

1) Switching what ammo I'm using quickly and easily without having to go into inventory. In Mass Effect 1 I'd often switch between Tungsten rounds (Geth), Shredder rounds (everything else), and Inferno or Snowblind rounds (special purpose) during the course of a mission*

2) Being able to give orders to individual squaddies and using bounding overwatch to advance. Woohoo!#

3) The cover system can be easier to use mid-firefight+

4) The new fuel and probe system was fun=

5) Enemies are a little smarter about staying in cover usually

6) The addition of heavy weapons for seriously screwed up situations is great, although even with a lot of upgrades ammo is scarce and they don't hold much, limiting their utility

What I like less:

1) *and yet, having to do this multiple times for the same f'ing enemy is tedious and insanely annoying

2) #but why the popsnizzle do they keep taking cover in nonsense spots. I aim VERY clearly at the wall I want them to take cover on, they go there, and then take cover on a protrusion about 3 feet to the left of it facing nothing. Gee, do you think you should defend against popsnizzle coming down the hall, or coming out of the wall to your side? Dolts.

3) +but at the same time, seems to be less functional in numerous areas. I've already had innumerable occasions where I tried to take cover on a small protrusion that in ME1 wouldn't have presented a problem, but in ME2 I just can't take cover there.

4) =for about an hour. Then it got tedious as hell. Fly away from the center system. Go to one, MAYBE two other systems. Run out of probes by the time you finish scanning a single planet. Go back. Get more fuel and probes. Return to system. Get 1 more planet. Go back. Get more fuel and probes. Return to system. Ugh.

5) The new exploration system. People complained that driving the Mako around on alien worlds was tedious, so instead we got this scanning minigame that's about 500 times more tedious and irritating? You are fire trucking popsnizzleting me! At least in ME1 I got to drive around fascinating new places and go mineral prospecting in person, explore old ruins, have vehicle-on-vehicle fights in the Mako and then crash into a pre-fab base and have a shootout with the enemies holed up there. Now? Sit there and hold the left trigger and zone out until I see a spike on the little sensor thing, then drop a probe. Then do it again. Meeeeeehhhh.

6) The new health and shield system. Sorry, I found the old system far more enjoyable than this. Old system was interesting. New system is just Halo 2, with the sole difference of you can see how much health you have left when you get to the health bar. Lame.

7) The adrenaline system. This is Mass Effect, not a John Woo movie. Would be a lot cooler if it was a regular power like Overkill/Marksmanship/etc. and lasted longer with a longer cooldown time.

8) Speaking of which, what happened to Overkill/Marksmanship/Assassination? Those were WAY more fun to use than this silly adrenaline thing.

9) "Storm" replacing sprint. Unlike sprint, in which Shepard actually did a full-on sprint, making it very useful for going from cover to cover or just covering a lot of ground fast, you now "storm" the enemy at about the speed of a slow run, and even more annoyingly it slows all the sounds down as if you're going really fast in adrenaline mode even though everything's still shooting you in real-time, and your teammates talking to you turns into "Wrrrrrr baarrrrrrrr boowwwwaaaaaaaa." For God's sake.

10) Practically every mission is just a COD-style on-rails shooter. fire truck THAT! I liked exploring and having varied environments! Now "exploring" is checking out a random door off the on-rails section that has 10 credits stashed in open view. Oh joy.

11) The new experience system. Or rather, the complete lack of one. You just get 1000 experience points and a level thrown to you when you complete a major mission, or just 50 experience here and there for minor ones. Lame.

12) Character skills have gone from extremely varied and interesting, allowing unique specialization of your squad, to everybody just has like 4 generic abilities and two character-specific ones. Whoopee.

13) Speaking of your squad, I liked being able to customize the hell out of them for every situation, as well as have us actually look like a team by using the same gear. In my ME1 playthrough preceding this one, I had Shepard and Ashley in Predator H X and Garrus in Predator M X armor, and they looked like a squad. They were also all using unique ammo and weapon setups geared to the situation. All that's gone now. Shepard's customization options are about a third of what they were, and your squad's customization options are about a twentieth of what they were. You've can't even have them put a helmet on in the middle of a damn firefight for pete's sake. Your only customization options are, if you gain their loyalty, you can pick between two colors on their armor. WTF?

14) In the vein of the above, now I have to go back to the ship, go up to the captain's quarters, then back to where I was just to have Shepard pop some head protection on when going into a firefight or off when in a non-hostile area talking to people? What was so terrible about going to the squad screen and tapping the left bumper?

15) Also in the vein of 13, it really does look ridiculous when Shepard is duking it out with the enemy in shock troop armor and Miranda and Jacob are in a lycra bodysuit and a shipboard uniform, respectively. No wonder my squaddies keep croaking on me, they wear lounge around the house clothes into a combat zone.

16) The whole manner of docking at a station. It, frankly, sucks. Now instead of docking and then heading out the airlock, and coming back through the airlock to talk with your requisitions dude and sell/buy some stuff mid-mission or change out your crew, you are teleported from the galaxy map to the station, and each time you come and go from the ship you have to take off, fly into space, then land again (with appropriate cinematics each time), then take off again... for fire truck's sake just stay in the GDed port until I'm ready to leave like you used to. Between missions teleporting me off the station as well as picking up things for the crew, while visiting Omega I docked at and flew away from the station about eight times and I never even intended to leave one of those times.

17) The ammo system. Changing from seemingly infinite ammo and just dealing with overheating to using finite amounts of ammo and having to reload sounded like it would be a fun change, until I used it. It usually takes a full magazine or two to take anything but the weak enemies down, so you're constantly out of ammo and reloading, and the ability to use suppressing fire is largely non-existent. I don't really care for it at all, I'd rather go back to managing weapon heat.

18) The lack of anything to do off the beaten path. I used to be able to go exploring and get random missions from Admiral Hackett. When I left the citadel in ME1 for the first time I had leads for 2 or 3 hours worth of sidemissions in addition to the primary missions of checking out Feros, Noveria, and the Artemis Tau cluster. Now? I'm sitting here with literally nothing to do off the beaten path other than the scanning minigame to get upgrades. I got a whole four side missions at the start, and of them, only one took more than 5-10 minutes to complete.

19) The Presidium on the Citadel is one room. One room. You are popsnizzleting me. And the Wards take about 3 minutes to go through. That sure is tiny for a gargantuan space station that it previously took hours to fully check out.

Yeah, so, overall. Little bit of good changes, and an enormous amount of changes that I flat out hate for the enumerated reasons. Mass Effect 2 is still a lot of fun, but so far it's not even touching the experience of Mass Effect 1 for me.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#42 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

I thoroughly agree that the planet research thing is just silly grinding. However, as long as I have enough resources to do what I want with research, I just quickly check planets and leave the system.  This has led to some very interesting sidequests, although they have been shorter. It seems that much of what was changed between the first game and this one was for the purpose of catering to someone with a shorter attention span.

I also agree, that in comparison to all of the planet scanning, I'd take the Mako missions.  I feel like this is an artificial 'necessity' to make the gameplay take longer.  

The exploration / linear-ness of the areas is something I agree with. I was actually looking forward to returning to some old haunts on the Citadel and although I liked the areas we were presented with, as well as the quest links to the first game, I was a bit disappointed with the Citadel we can NOW access.

I echoed the "why do I have to fly away from the planet just to get back on the ship" idea.  That seemed silly, but something I worked around.

I didn't have many complaints. I liked the leaning down of things which allowed me to stay more in the story / adventure.  The first game's deep RPG elements were fun, but not as engaging to me as the 2nd game.

However, I've moved on to my next game obsession. :)  ME2 is so 2 weeks ago! :)

#43 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

17) The ammo system. Changing from seemingly infinite ammo and just dealing with overheating to using finite amounts of ammo and having to reload sounded like it would be a fun change, until I used it. It usually takes a full magazine or two to take anything but the weak enemies down, so you're constantly out of ammo and reloading, and the ability to use suppressing fire is largely non-existent. I don't really care for it at all, I'd rather go back to managing weapon heat.

I haven't had big ammo problems, but that's possibly because I'm an assassin-oriented Infiltrator, and my sniper rifle can now take out a full armor bar, and most of the health bar with one headshot. The pistol is powerful enough to take out most of a weaker enemy's health with one headshot, leaving them vulnerable to a shot or two from the squad, and I can rely on my squad to wear down barriers or shields with powers.

I agree that the new inventory has simplified things a bit too far. I think the old system was a bit ridiculous - far too many redundant items differing in tiny amounts, and just having to sort through them to figure out what to sell was a pain. Given that I'm also utterly sick of any sort of loot-whoring games (Borderlands was alright, but man I got so tired of constantly comparing stats on guns), I'm pretty happy to not have to pick tons of stuff up. However, being able to customize weapon mods would have been a nice thing to keep, or even just a few different weapon models with different strengths, especially given that I don't have access to all the different ammo types.

The only thing I really hate is the planet scanning thing. It just replaced an imperfect system with an abominable one, IMO. Like I said previously, the planet exploration would have been totally OK if they just jazzed up the environments a bit, and got rid of some of the more frustrating terrain to drive. Hell, I could write some pretty decent procedural generation if you gave me three or four years to do it. But maybe the kids these days are too used to their Halos and their CoDs (back in my day that was a fish! And we liked it that way!), and can't stand the thought of having to travel some place before the shooting begins.

That said, my favorite thing about ME1 was the writing and the good acting that supported it, and I'm pretty happy that I can mostly just spend time with that and the totally decent shootery. I'm not sorry that they concentrated on those bits, since I'd actually argue that it's a much better RPG than many games that have you futzing about with your inventory all the time, since it has really great characters, and your interaction with them has such major consequences. They just didn't need to go totally overboard in cutting it all out. I increasingly identify myself as a certain fogey-demographic of gamer by saying stuff like this, but Deus Ex got this stuff pretty well balanced, why are we still trying to figure it out?
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#44 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:14 AM

View PostPeopleLikeFrank, on February 13th 2010, 09:42 PM, said:

I agree that the new inventory has simplified things a bit too far. I think the old system was a bit ridiculous - far too many redundant items differing in tiny amounts, and just having to sort through them to figure out what to sell was a pain. Given that I'm also utterly sick of any sort of loot-whoring games (Borderlands was alright, but man I got so tired of constantly comparing stats on guns), I'm pretty happy to not have to pick tons of stuff up. However, being able to customize weapon mods would have been a nice thing to keep, or even just a few different weapon models with different strengths, especially given that I don't have access to all the different ammo types.
Yup, agreed, I should've mentioned that as one of the changes I do like, sort of. The loot mountains were unnecessary your first playthrough, and just annoying your second playthrough when you've already got 9999999 credits and can't get anymore, so you're just dumping stuff to clear up inventory space. Rather than cutting it out completely, though, it would've been nice to have a whole loot system, but have you just get like 1/5th as much as you did in Mass Effect 1. Enough to occasionally come across nicer stuff than your own, and maybe some different armor and mods, but not tons. Still, I'd rather deal with the loot mountain than have absolutely NO upgrades or customization for your team and only a tiny bit for yourself; that just sucks.

View PostPeopleLikeFrank, on February 13th 2010, 09:42 PM, said:

I increasingly identify myself as a certain fogey-demographic of gamer by saying stuff like this, but Deus Ex got this stuff pretty well balanced, why are we still trying to figure it out?
Hear hear. Deus Ex handled the whole package excellently.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#45 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:19 AM

on planet scanning:  

you dont really have to do it. I did all the research and only scanned... 40 planets? at most.  Once i figured out how to indentify which ones would be Rich, i just did those.  At the end of the game i had 100k E-zero and 300k of everything else, AFTER i'd done all the research.  

All you have to do to unlock the N7 missions is to just "Enter Orbit" - EDI will say "I've detected an Anomoly", you scan till you find it, and move on.  

Only scan for minerals when you need them and it is a LOT less frustrating.  

I personally feel that both systems pretty much sucked, but this planet scanning was better than the Mako, as long you dont let yourself feel like you MUST scan everything and just do it when you need to.

My major gripes are still the shortness of the Main Story Arc (but not the game as a whole), the inability to customize your squad's armor, and the WAY too minimalistic weapons.  Oh.. and the part where i dont understand how you could possibly lose any of your squad in the last mission if you have a brain in your head.  It was touted as a major thing (people... will...die!) but seemed like it was impossible unles you made deliberately bad choices.  

All in all, though, i still very much enjoyed it and will be playing through again. THe character development on some of the characters (Thane, Samara, Miranda, in particular) was amazing.  

If they strike a balance on gear between ME1 and ME2 for part 3, and make the main story arc 40% or more of the content (as opposed to the... 20 or 25% it is now), i'd be pretty damn satisfied.  

And oh yeah, make Biotics work like they used to, thanks.  Having Singularity, etc, etc be useless when you see a guy with shields is just blech.

edit:  

I'll agree that Deux Ex got it right.  This game constantly had me thinking about Deus Ex.  

I think a better compromise for the loot system is a hybrid of the two.  Im fine with not having piles of loot.  But make... say, 6-9 guns for each type.  Give them some variance (rate of fire, accuracy/spread, shots/heat clip, etc) and then a variable number of mod slots.  But keep the mods like they were in ME2, where you research them or buy them, and then everyone can use them.  have,s ay...  7-10 types of mods available.  More ammo, better accuracy, reduced spread, faster releod, better heatsinks, etc etc.  But each gun only has 0-3 mod slots (3 only on the "end-game" items) so you can only have some of it.  

Then make it so i can change that per-squad member.  So on my sniper rifle i go for the better heatsink and the damage (since i dont need the accuracy since im controlling the character) but for Thane i put in different mods for his sniper rifle and then an even different set for Garrus.  

Do the same with armor - instead of having squad-wide armor upgrades and stuff, have the "parts" you buy be available to all of your squad, l ike the guns.  The chest-plate should have mod slots, again, 0-3 depending on the item.  Then you can apply your armor research.  More shields? Or add "Armor" to my armor?  Reduce tech damage taken?  have 8-12 types of mods, making it matter which you pick.  

I think that's a good compromise.  I actually liked the new ammo system better (them being abilities).. since i could change the whole squad easily between Shredder Rounds, Cryo Rounds, and Disruptor Rounds quickly and in the middle of the fight.  

Also, i'd love to see some skills go back to being class-specific, even if they arent leveled. (I.E. you dont spend points in them, you just have them for being your class) like decryption and hacking - dont have someone in your party whose class provides it?  No hacking for you.  For the plot-centric doors that you need to hack, just have alternate ways to do it.  No hacker in the party but you have Jack?  No problem.  Shockwave, door goes flying.  Just put them on a separate list from the skills you spend points on - I.E. they are just abilities of your class, period.

#46 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:04 AM

View PostFrost, on February 13th 2010, 10:36 PM, said:

6) The addition of heavy weapons for seriously screwed up situations is great, although even with a lot of upgrades ammo is scarce and they don't hold much, limiting their utility

Really? Cos my beam weapon currently holds about 1000 'rounds', which was plenty to kill
Spoiler
by just pointing at it and holding the mouse button down.

The singularity generator has a tiny little clip, but at the same time it takes 5 seconds to fire, so it's more of a novelty than anything else.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#47 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

View Postcharmin, on February 14th 2010, 07:04 AM, said:

Really? Cos my beam weapon currently holds about 1000 'rounds', which was plenty to kill
Spoiler

The singularity generator has a tiny little clip, but at the same time it takes 5 seconds to fire, so it's more of a novelty than anything else.

I actually just happened to have gotten the
Spoiler
when I started that mission. It's a bit hilarious because
Spoiler

---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64

#48 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

Posted Image

:rotfl:

View Postcharmin, on February 14th 2010, 06:04 AM, said:

Spoiler

Perhaps I just need to get further into the game and get more upgrades so my guns do more damage and it'll be more enjoyable. I'm sure finding it annoying at the start though.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm playing on Veteran, not Normal since that's the one recommended for "experienced" shooter players. Maybe it's a little better handled on normal.

Eric5h5:

#49 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

I'm playing on Veteran too - your ammo situation definitely gets better as you go along a bit. Damage upgrades to weapons help, but so do improved powers.

And holy crap, I just got the .50 BMG sniper rifle (don't remember what it's called in-game), and it, combined with a couple sniper damage upgrades, the headshot damage upgrade, the visor I'm sporting which improves headshot damage as well, and my assassin perk, is just ruining peoples' days (along with their hairdos, recently polished helmets, and general cognitive abilities) all over the galaxy. It's almost a little excessive - I'll get a cutscene introducing some badass boss, and five seconds later it's like "gee, where'd the back of your skull go?".
---

#50 Jarmo

Jarmo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

View PostFrost, on February 14th 2010, 12:36 AM, said:

Well, I've clocked 10 hours so far and have just about finished recruiting everybody. So far, there are some things I like more than Mass Effect 1, and then there's nearly everything I like less.

I pretty much agree with everything in the list.
I do kind of understand why the changes were made, just can't agree they were for the better.

Like.. optimizing the party equipment for about 1/4:th of the game in ME1, probably not for everyone.
ME1, having so many choices when making you're character, you're bound to screw up and end up needing just the sidekicks you wouldn't like to drag along.
But the new system is just dumbed down way too much.

I really like being able to hack & bypass with any character (and later on, learning to use a proper gun with any character).
And it seems to be a pretty damn fine game plotwise.

#51 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:59 PM

Just a warning to those who haven't beaten the game, the following is kinda a spoiler

I found that the ending was way to easy. Like extremely easy. I went in there expecting a suicide mission and i ended up losing one squad member. The boss right with the reaper I finished in less then a minute with the grenade launcher + sniper. Mind I did play it on normal difficulty, but it still shoulda been harder.

And I'm with PeopleLikeFrank, the sniper rifles are loads of fun, especially against mechs. Nothing quite like scoping in on a mech's head, pulling the trigger, and hearing that metallic "ting" as your bullet blows apart its metal head, sending parts everywhere. Or, if your getting bored with head shots shoot out a leg and watch them crawl around for a little bit
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#52 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on February 15th 2010, 08:59 PM, said:

Just a warning to those who haven't beaten the game, the following is kinda a spoiler

I found that the ending was way to easy. Like extremely easy. I went in there expecting a suicide mission and i ended up losing one squad member. The boss right with the reaper I finished in less then a minute with the grenade launcher + sniper. Mind I did play it on normal difficulty, but it still shoulda been harder.

And I'm with PeopleLikeFrank, the sniper rifles are loads of fun, especially against mechs. Nothing quite like scoping in on a mech's head, pulling the trigger, and hearing that metallic "ting" as your bullet blows apart its metal head, sending parts everywhere. Or, if your getting bored with head shots shoot out a leg and watch them crawl around for a little bit

Spoiler

#53 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

[quote name='Tetsuya' date='February 16th 2010, 01:27 PM' post='385058']
[spoiler] My only death was the leader of the other squad, and I think it was because of my choice of leader. I choose Zaaed, the merc, thinking he'd be good, but in the end he died and I didn't really care cuz he was the one I disliked the most[/spoiler]
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#54 Jarmo

Jarmo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:15 PM

Spoiler

In the end, I was left a bit disappointed. It's not that this wasn't a good game as such, just not what I'd have wanted from a Mass Effect sequel.
Some great moments, some moral choices, but nothing that'd compel me to replay it or anything. ... well maybe to try other romance options, but nah.

#55 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:27 AM

I just finished a little under two hours ago... overall, great game. The combat got MUCH less annoying after I had about 75% of the upgrades and started actually being fun, and the main plot was a great run.

That said, I still feel very strongly that while the primary segment was great, the secondary missions were positively threadbare, and seemed almost an afterthought. You could almost double Mass Effect 1's length by doing a completionist run through all the side missions, and apart from a few short, quick ones most were interesting. I've done three completionist runs of Mass Effect 1 and I found I still enjoyed doing the majority of the secondary missions, and many of them also tied in at least somewhat to the primary story.

In ME2 I had completed about 25% of the side missions by the time I had everything but the
Spoiler
done, and was really disappointed to find that I was able to do the other 75% in a whole 3 hours, literally half of which was spent just finding them. Of the side missions, only 3 or 4 I felt were truly fun and interesting; the rest were filler at best. They felt like lame standalones when the writers get writer's block in a story-arc TV series.

The main plot I felt was up to par with ME1's and engaged and held me just as well, but I thought they really dropped the ball on other stuff to do.

Mass Effect 1: 10 (I give out 10s extremely rarely; I really did like ME1 that much)
Mass Effect 2: 9 (was an 8 for the first half of the game, but after combat started actually becoming fun once I had upgrades it earned itself an extra point)

Spoiler

And speaking of heavy weapons, did anyone else find all but the nuke cannon, grenade launcher, and flamethrower to be completely superfluous and/or useless? The
Spoiler
I suppose was useful too, but really it didn't do much better than a fully upgraded M8 assault rifle with an appropriate ammo type selected. The nuke cannon and grenade launcher also never had enough ammo. The flamethrower always had enough ammo to really wreck popsnizzle with it, but the nuke cannon you never got more than one shot per mission, resulting in (at least on the first playthrough when you don't know what you're up against) often going through the mission not even using it because you were saving it incase there was a really nasty boss, and while the grenade launcher was often great for dispatching cluster of enemies, except when you have almost double ammo near the end of the game from upgrades/armor it can only be used a choice few times and then it's dry with only very infrequent chances to refill it.

Also, TO HELL WITH the new charm/intimidate system! I can't have fun switching between advanced renegade and paragon conversational options just for flavor on subsequent playthroughs like ME1, I'm stuck doing one or the other. And it looks like I don't even start with the ME1 import bonus to paragon and renegade on new game+, so I have to spend the entire game going straight paragon or straight renegade in order to
Spoiler

F that. I'm using the Jacob morality glitch at the beginning on my Insanity game to get plenty of points so I can have fun with the dialog like in new game+ on ME1 instead of playing only for the end of the game.

And, my final complaint: why in sam hell is there no option to turn off auto-aim in Mass Effect 2 (at least on the Xbox version)? You could switch it on and off at will in ME1. Now it's on permanently, and while I haven't even noticed it while using other weapons, it throws my aim off when sniping CONSTANTLY and is EXTREMELY annoying, making it almost impossible to lead a moving target without using maxed out adrenaline, because auto aim will compensate instead of leaving my crosshairs alone, throwing them off in some random direction.

Eric5h5:

#56 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:57 AM

I rather easily had maxed Paragon/Renegade by about... 1/2 of the way through the game.  And I mean maxed both.  When you choose to buy levels in your class skill matters.

#57 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:46 PM

Well I don't see how that's possible. I did literally everything there was to do, had the class skill bonus almost from the start thanks to beginning at level 5 plus a bonus to paragon and renegade, both from my ME1 import, and when I finished I had only JUST filled the paragon bar and the renegade bar was about 1/3 full.

I'm playing a soldier; does one of the other classes have like a 200% bonus to your morals meter? Biggest bonus a soldier gets is 100%.

Also:

:lol:

Posted Image

Eric5h5:

#58 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

buy your class skills *later*.  it doesnt (to the best of my knowledge) give you a bonus to paragon/renegade you earn - it applies that bonus to what you *already have*.  

try it out - take a skill point in your class skill and watch it go up.  

My Paragon/Renegade bars are only about half-full. Then i take the ranks of my class skill and they both max out.

#59 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:11 PM

View PostTetsuya, on February 20th 2010, 05:29 PM, said:

buy your class skills *later*.  it doesnt (to the best of my knowledge) give you a bonus to paragon/renegade you earn - it applies that bonus to what you *already have*.  

try it out - take a skill point in your class skill and watch it go up.  

My Paragon/Renegade bars are only about half-full. Then i take the ranks of my class skill and they both max out.

Ohhh ok, well that makes sense. I was wondering how on earth you could do that. Mine are at about half each as well, but I didn't do that class skills stuff.

#60 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:25 PM

Man, Insanity is no joke. It was tough in ME1, and even tougher in ME2 since I couldn't keep my weapon upgrades, credits, or resources, just weapons/armor/level. The early fights on Omega were a BITCH to get through. Didn't killed get except on the final fights with
Spoiler
, but I sure burned through a crapload of ammo.

About 1/3 of the way through right now, just finished the
Spoiler

My squad dies constantly because they don't understand the concept of staying in cover when your shields are down and keep popping out and getting machinegunned. And it's safe to say every time I see an YMIR Mech I groan because it's gonna take half my entire store of ammo to bring it down even with 95% of shots finding their mark.

That said,
Spoiler
It's pulled my ass out of the fire 30 times or more already. Although the 12 second cooldown reinforces my annoyance at the dumb decision to have switching ammo be affected by power cooldown (wtf).

I don't know why, but
Spoiler

Eric5h5: