#1 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

ME2 is coming out on tuesday (26th) and it's looking be one amazing game. IGN's review states that it basically surpasses the original in every aspect, and if you still have your save from ME1 you'll have one of the best story lines you've ever played. The only bad thing they said is that is has to many references to the 1st, but in my opinion that's a good thing, since it brings the two games together as part of a trilogy, and not two separate games.

I've got exams all next week unfortunately and no gaming PC at the moment, but next weekend I'm building myself a machine with a 5850, and sitting down to run through ME1 quick to replay all of my decisions (my save game was lost many windows re-installs ago ;) ).

I'm really looking forward to this game. Bioware kinda has a monopoly on my gaming time at the moment. I just beat Dragon Age, I'll be moving onto ME1 and then ME2, and then probably a replay of DA, and then the giant DA expansion comes out in March. Hard to believe all of this goodness is coming from one company.

Launch Trailor

Video Review - 9.6/10
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on January 23rd 2010, 03:43 PM, said:

"The Reapers are still camel toe ... I mean out there."
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

I just pre-loaded it in Steam today.  I'm ready to flip the switch when it goes active in 2 more days.  The bonus materials are loaded, but I can't use them yet. :(

#4 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

View PostJ, on January 23rd 2010, 11:35 PM, said:

I just pre-loaded it in Steam today.  I'm ready to flip the switch when it goes active in 2 more days.  The bonus materials are loaded, but I can't use them yet. :(

I didn't get the Digital Deluxe version of DA and now I'm regretting that decision. I'll definitely be buying the DD version of ME2. I am throughally pumped for this game. I finish all my school work this thursday, throw together a new gaming PC on the weekend, and then storm the galaxy as commander shepherd :D
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#5 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:39 AM

I got this on release day from a local shop. I could say lots of things, but I'm going to be lazy and paste in what I wrote to a friend recently via email about it. We've both played ME1 before, but he hasn't got ME2 yet. No spoilers here, (okay one, but its tagged) just my impressions and comments on the game so far.  

---

Yeah so I've put about 12 hours into it over the last 3 days. And its awesome. Like so much more awesome than #1 in every way. I'm blown away all over again. Every aspect is improved, and some removed that wasn't good. Graphics are much better and textures (can max it no problem on our machines) and environments and levels are really well designed. Some very atmospheric stuff.  Dialogue and script is still amazing, but now even more cinematic, especially with the camera angles. There's a few hacking minigames now which are fun, and better. And you know how you'd have those annoying ass landing missions all the time to just get a few credits and shoot a few robots? Well those are gone, seems to only be specific mission landings. Instead you can scan every planet for resources, and launch probes in certain spots to collect them. And you need them because of upgrades. Weapons, armor, tech, your ship. Its fun stuff. Exploration is actually fun now, and more rewarding. I thought the Mako would be in, but I think its isn't..not sure yet.

Yeah and the combat actually feels like a shooter now, not the clunky thing it was in the first. Every class has specialized powers, although all the skills are streamlined. Which on first appearance is like wtf? where did all the skills go? Well there's no weapon or armor skills anymore to upgrade, those are what they are per class. No more using a gun which you don't have the skill for. (which means everyone but the soldier can only use 2 or 3 weapons, while he can use anything. But they all got awesome powers.) There's also now full ragdoll and body-hit detection, which means sniping is freaking fun. Or shotgunning fools over crates and edges. Another change is no more overheating, you have 'cooling rods' which means ammo clips in essence. Its a lot better system. Cover system and squad control remains the same. There's no more inventory actually, just your character screen. You don't change out weapon mods, but you have ammo types via powers. (soldier has  them all, others only get 1 or 2 I think.)  So that's actually quite fun, and the ammo power is just 'active' as long as you have it on. Disruptor for shield bypass and synthetic, incinerate for armor and organic, and cryo which freezes anything. Also your health regenerates now, you only use medi-gel for your teammates when they go down. I find it works better. Also you can totally customize armor color and pattern no matter what suit your wearing. Which is really nice, so I'm rocking red and black.

I imported my Soldier character from ME1 which gives you a good resource bonus and start at level 2 instead of 1. Of course all the big choices you made affect the story. If you start off new,
Spoiler
so its cool. Will definitely do it again with a new character and see how it affects the story. Lots of permutations. Story starts off with a bang, really grabs you. Pretty cool intro I have to say. Lots of new characters, and the one's from ME1 show up along the way.

What you're still reading this? GO AND BUY IT NOW. I know your busy, but this seems easier to put a little time into that Dragon Age did in my impression. I think that's also because its familiar, while DA was all new.  

---

That's my thoughts so far. Its very impressive, can't find anything particularly that I dislike so far. I heard some people dislike the planet scanning mini-game, but I think its fun. A lot better than having to go through a whole landing, run-around-in-the-Mako thing like in the first. I suppose the only other thing, which isn't really bad, is that you have 10 teammates to choose from. Of course not at all once, as you recruit them. But its a lot. Hard to choose sometimes, but it is nice to have the variety. They seem to be customized versions of the classes, a lot of them having  their own special powers, or mixed skillsets. (An adept with assault rifle weapon ability for example.)
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#6 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

I just built my new PC today this afternoon, i'm on semester break right now, so I'm loading up ME1 tonight and playing through it in order to redo my actions (I didn't save my game from my old HDD). I want to get the full experience and plus I haven't played through ME1 since around the time it came out, so it'll be good to go through it again.

I'm very much looking forward to ME2 :)

#7 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

I couldn't wait :P

I started a new ME1 game and got to about level 8 or so, but then I found a handy website that lets you download ME1 saved games, so I found one that resembled my 1st one, and I'm installing ME2 now :D

#8 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:07 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on February 2nd 2010, 08:17 PM, said:

I started a new ME1 game and got to about level 8 or so, but then I found a handy website that lets you download ME1 saved games, so I found one that resembled my 1st one, and I'm installing ME2 now :D

Slight spoiler (non-story spoiler)
Spoiler

#9 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:21 AM

I'll wait for the seemingly inevitable PS3 version.
MS don't have much of a handle on many of their 3rd party exclusives (then again, Sony don't either), and they're constantly jumping ship. If the GTA4 expansions can make it over, then so can ME2, courtesy of 20 bajillion non-denial denials from Bioware and EA. Seriously, if they were never going to bring it over, then they would have said so.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#10 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:06 AM

This game is definitely a GOTY contender. I played for a few hours last night , and I'm very impressed. It's better then ME1 in every way I've seen

#11 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on February 3rd 2010, 06:06 AM, said:

This game is definitely a GOTY contender. I played for a few hours last night , and I'm very impressed. It's better then ME1 in every way I've seen

/me tries not to be jealous of Sneaky's 5850 . . .

/me tries to be happy with his GTS 250 1 GB (which was all the budget could afford).

I agree on the GOTY thing, but then again, BioShock 2, Just Cause 2, and many other titles I've been playing this year aren't out yet. But damn is ME2 a solid and fun game.

I'm not sure about the 'eventual port' to the PS3. I kept figuring Fable II would eventually make it to the PC - but it never did.  Then again BioShock wasn't originally slated to get to the PS3.

#12 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:33 PM

View PostJ, on February 3rd 2010, 01:32 PM, said:

/me tries not to be jealous of Sneaky's 5850 . . .

/me tries to be happy with his GTS 250 1 GB (which was all the budget could afford).

I agree on the GOTY thing, but then again, BioShock 2, Just Cause 2, and many other titles I've been playing this year aren't out yet. But damn is ME2 a solid and fun game.

I'm not sure about the 'eventual port' to the PS3. I kept figuring Fable II would eventually make it to the PC - but it never did.  Then again BioShock wasn't originally slated to get to the PS3.

Haha, the GTS 250 is a nice card and runs everything just fine. I only really see gains in like 2 games - Crysis and Stalker, and neither of them are really worth spend hundreds of dollars over. I needed to but a GPU, so I thought I'd spend the money and go current.

I'm up to 8 hours played of ME2 now, dang this game is good! And battling aliens in the Blood Dragon Armour from Dragon Age is bloody fun :P

#13 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:00 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on February 3rd 2010, 08:33 PM, said:

Haha, the GTS 250 is a nice card and runs everything just fine.

It really does.  I decided to go Core i5 instead of Core 2 Quad, as my last CPU was Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4 GHz).  It's ironed out a good number of my games  like Batman AA, Borderlands and such.  However, even on the new build, the Zombie Island of Dr. Ned can still drop down to a still perfectly Vsync'd 30 fps.  Pretty much everything runs fine at 1680x1050 (my monitor's native resolution).

On a ME2 spoilery note, my favorite area is
Spoiler
, which on my 2nd playthrough, I have saved for last. :)

#14 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:37 AM

I was all running and then there was like "OHNOES GETH" and I shot them (pyew pyew) and then my party was all like *BIOTICS! POW!* and then I ran into a wall and got stuck there and had to reload a save.

Reviews these days are longer than they need to be.

Despite being a hardcore RPG pervert, it's nice that the gear system has been simplified somewhat, and I actually quite enjoy the game being a little more action focused than the first. I only get to play the game on Saturdays though, so I've not made a world of progress :(
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#15 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:33 AM

View Postcharmin, on February 4th 2010, 12:37 AM, said:

"OHNOES GETH" and I shot them (pyew pyew) and then my party was all like *BIOTICS! POW!* and then I ran into a wall and got stuck there and had to reload a save.

I've had that glitch a few times - you walk into something and suddenly you're suspended in the air. In some cases, if you fight with it long enough, it'll release you.  

Also, as this is more action oriented, there is location based damage . . . i.e. aim for the head! . . . well when you're fighting people anyway.

Isn't it 'pew pew'?

Posted Image

#16 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:52 PM

Weird, I posted here this morning, but my post isn't here?? I mean a 2nd one, not the longer first.

Anyway was saying I finished Samara's personal mission last night and I had a lot of fun with it. Quite different from the others. I'm impressed by the variety and depth of all the side missions so far. I've done about half of my squad members so far. whew, 10 is a lot to go through! But oh so rewarding in XP and upgrades. I've recruited all but one squad member at this point. Had a choice to continue the main story or 'build the team' which I chose to do. Always like to do everything I can first time around.

Haven't finished the game yet, but about 18 hours in. My favorite area so far is
Spoiler

Also: Pew! Pew!
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

View PostWumpus, on February 4th 2010, 03:52 PM, said:

Weird, I posted here this morning, but my post isn't here?? I mean a 2nd one, not the longer first.
If one of the moderators or admin deleted your post it would be in the trash queue, but there is nothing in there from you.  Searching your post log, the last time you posted was January 31st.  If there were internet congestion, you might have quit your browser or logged out etc before the post was sent.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:08 AM

View Postteflon, on February 3rd 2010, 06:21 AM, said:

I'll wait for the seemingly inevitable PS3 version.
MS don't have much of a handle on many of their 3rd party exclusives (then again, Sony don't either), and they're constantly jumping ship. If the GTA4 expansions can make it over, then so can ME2, courtesy of 20 bajillion non-denial denials from Bioware and EA. Seriously, if they were never going to bring it over, then they would have said so.
http://www.bit-tech....coming-to-ps3/1

Well for what it's worth, BioWare has re-denied the existence of a PS3 port of ME2 since PS3 references in the PC version are simply due to UE3 and they claim that the Mass Effect series is only intended for the XBox and PC.

I am very pleased that Episodes of Liberty City is coming to PC, although it was kind of expected and easier given that the core game was already on PC and PS3, compared to bringing Mass Effect to PS3 which would be a fresh port.

#19 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:07 PM

Haven't started it yet, but will soon (360 version that is; don't have a gaming PC, but it's the same game aside from crappier hardware and a controller). I did the little intro, but that was it. I found out there's apparently a LOT more that a Mass Effect 1 save affects than I previously thought, so I'm replaying ME1 first as both a refresher (last played it almost two years ago to the day) and to get a "perfection" run where I do everything the way I want it done instead of just farting around doing things for kicks. It would also be nice to actually notice what is affected by what I did in Mass Effect 1, which I wouldn't have otherwise; memory of an RPG played in late 2007/early 2008 isn't that good aside from major plot points. So again, a refresher should help me enjoy ME2 a lot more.

Nearly done with that, so I'll probably be starting ME2 this weekend.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#20 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:04 AM

View PostFrost, on February 5th 2010, 09:07 PM, said:

Haven't started it yet, but will soon (360 version that is; don't have a gaming PC, but it's the same game aside from crappier hardware and a controller). I did the little intro, but that was it. I found out there's apparently a LOT more that a Mass Effect 1 save affects than I previously thought, so I'm replaying ME1 first as both a refresher (last played it almost two years ago to the day) and to get a "perfection" run where I do everything the way I want it done instead of just farting around doing things for kicks. It would also be nice to actually notice what is affected by what I did in Mass Effect 1, which I wouldn't have otherwise; memory of an RPG played in late 2007/early 2008 isn't that good aside from major plot points. So again, a refresher should help me enjoy ME2 a lot more.

Nearly done with that, so I'll probably be starting ME2 this weekend.

I'm not sure how the 360 will feel, but the PC versions of ME1 and ME2 have VERY different feels to me.  Certain shooting / pausing / power mechanics remain, but it is done very differently. I jump back to ME1 to compare some things now and then, and I notice how much further the camera is from my person in 3rd person and how the combat mechanic feels so much more simple in the first game.  I think you'll find the 2nd one pleasantly surprising.