Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:18 AM

View Postedddeduck, on December 17th 2009, 10:12 AM, said:

Don't know why we have nothing to do with it :)

Edwin

It's just because we all wish Feral was doing it instead of Transgaming :P

#22 gmfeier

gmfeier

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:05 PM

Just wondering what the price of the deluxe version will be. Direct2Drive shows it as $59.95 on their site - until you click on it and it magically becomes $64.95. Gametreeonline has it at $64.95, so I'm guessing that will be the actual price. Anyone have more info?

#23 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

View Postgmfeier, on December 18th 2009, 01:05 AM, said:

Just wondering what the price of the deluxe version will be. Direct2Drive shows it as $59.95 on their site - until you click on it and it magically becomes $64.95. Gametreeonline has it at $64.95, so I'm guessing that will be the actual price. Anyone have more info?

It's 64.95 everywhere else, PC version included, so I am sure that will be the price.

#24 gmfeier

gmfeier

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:00 PM

View PostCougar, on December 17th 2009, 07:13 PM, said:

It's 64.95 everywhere else, PC version included, so I am sure that will be the price.

Thanks. I suppose I'll go for it anyway.

#25 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:49 AM

View Postgmfeier, on December 18th 2009, 01:05 AM, said:

I have to say that I definitely would not get the Deluxe Edition of the Mac "port" – not for that price (even though the $65 are less than the 50 € the PC version costs here in Germany). Just think about it: they expect you to pony up the same amount of money for the Mac deluxe edition as for the PC equivalent, even though the Mac version has far less content.

On the Mac, you get these ridiculous three in-game items, an extra DLC (which – as far as I know – is also available separately), bloody wallpapers and a "digital" soundtrack (probably popsnizzletily ripped MP3s).

For the same price, you get the PC version in a tin box, all of the above mentioned on physical discs – including the soundtrack –, a bonus DVD with a "Making of", concept art and trailers, and a frigging cloth map. While much of this is surely superfluous, it's still a lot more of content for the same price.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#26 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:58 PM

I have to admit I was a bit surprised with how much the Mac version cost given the fact it's download only. Jade Empire was much more competitively priced when it was released... although in this case Dragon Age is a much more current release.

In any case I'm going to wait for the moment - I've bought far too many new mac games lately :D Definitely will buy in the not too distant future though - I love Bioware's creations.

#27 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

View PostSargiel, on January 5th 2010, 04:58 PM, said:

I have to admit I was a bit surprised with how much the Mac version cost given the fact it's download only. Jade Empire was much more competitively priced when it was released... although in this case Dragon Age is a much more current release.

In any case I'm going to wait for the moment - I've bought far too many new mac games lately :D Definitely will buy in the not too distant future though - I love Bioware's creations.

It costs the same as the PC version at the moment.

However I'd hold off on buying it for now, it's plagued by some serious bugs and issues. Hopefully a patch is on its way
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#28 BobbyWatson

BobbyWatson

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Steam ID:BobbYWatson

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

I am tempted. However, my main concern is that I am not sure it will play on my MacBook. Granted, it meets the requirements, I think, though I'm not quite sure about the graphics. Will it work on an Nvidia 9400 laptop? Anyone tried it?

#29 Vader

Vader

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:36 PM

View PostBobbyWatson, on January 5th 2010, 07:49 PM, said:

I am tempted. However, my main concern is that I am not sure it will play on my MacBook. Granted, it meets the requirements, I think, though I'm not quite sure about the graphics. Will it work on an Nvidia 9400 laptop? Anyone tried it?

I'm playing it on a white unibody MacBook with 2GB of RAM. Not a single problem so far! I have the settings at 1280 x 800 resolution and most everything else is either medium or low. Looks great to me! No slowdowns. I've probably played about 5 hours so far.

#30 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:57 PM

i have also played it on a mbp 2.4 with 9600 runs like a charm. Love it so far, but the blood is a little over the top.

#31 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:21 AM

Although I was very reluctant to buy a Cider game again, I succumbed: the game is just to interesting and (as I mentioned elsewhere) the price was rather tempting due to the favourable US-$/€ conversion at the moment.

However, while the game is great (I'm about a third into the game now), the "port" is very shoddy, so I strongly advise against buying the game - at least at this time. Whenever you have the possibility, take the Windows version. I wouldn't be surprised if it ran better in CrossOver/Parallels/VMware than this Cider crap.

Problem number one: no support for DLC (apart those that are already part of the package you buy). No word so far how, when or if at all additional DLC will be available.

Problem number two arose one minute after installing the game: no way to activate the extra content on non-US Macs without cumbersome workarounds. The game just doesn't let you enter the "@" sign on non-US keyboard layouts. That's not only a sign of extremly bad quality assurance, the support request I sent to TransGaming also showed (once more) that TG's support is pretty clueless. They simply pointed me to a discussion of this problem in Bioware's forums, where luckily a solution turned up after a while. In addition, they promised a quick patch that hasn't turned up yet.

Problem number three: in average, in two of three times, the game slows down to a slideshow without any apparent reason after two or three minutes of playing. The solution is simple: quitting and restarting the game, but that's still annoying.

This is definitely the last Cider game I bought, not matter how promising it may be.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#32 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:37 AM

I'll be keeping an eye out for any news on updates then before taking the plunge ...

Also just noticed that Bioware announced an expansion for DA already - Dragon Age Origins - Awakening. Looks interesting ;)

#33 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:11 AM

What problem did you have with the DLC. I am in canada and i activated it without any problems.

#34 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

View Postijedi42, on January 6th 2010, 05:11 PM, said:

What problem did you have with the DLC. I am in canada and i activated it without any problems.
As I said: I could not enter the "@" sign which is needed to enter my e-mail address to log into my EA account – which in turn in required to authenticate the DLC.

#35 Lurker

Lurker

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:11 AM

I have to admit that I broke down and bought Dragon Age on my Mac, and for the most part, I've been pleased with the performance. I do have a couple of gripes with the port.

My number one gripe is that according to what I've been able to determine, the only DLC that is supported in the Mac version is the DLC that comes with the game. Looking at the new DLC, Return to Ostagar, I noted this statement:

Not available as a separate download for the Mac version of Dragon Age: Origins.

I suspect that means that Mac users will need to wait for a ciderized version of any new DLC before being able to play it. I had great hopes that the new DLC would be platform independent, and that I'd be able to download it and play it without any problems. It appears that Mac Users will have to wait until all of the DLC has been ciderized before being able to play it.

I haven't tried to download any of the player made mods yet, but with what I've seen with the Mac compatibility of the Bioware released DLC, I'm concerned that we may not be able to access any of the player made content until it has been ciderized as well. If anyone has had experience with downloading any of the player made content, I'd be interested in hearing how it worked out.

My second gripe is with the game's performance during some of the larger battles. I don't have the most powerful machine on the planet (MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz), but it easily matches the system requirements listed for the game. Please beware of minor spoilers in the next paragraph.

The mass melee in Redcliff really slows my system down noticeably, and this causes me concern about the some of the larger battles that I expect to see in the end game. I was so frustrated by the slow performance that I didn't try adjusting the graphics quality and trying the battle again. I'll give that a shot tonight and let you know how it worked out.

End of minor spoilers

Up until encountering the larger battles, the game performed flawlessly for me. Overall, I'm relatively pleased with this purchase. Dragon Age itself is a great game, but I do have some concerns about the Mac port.

#36 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

View PostJanichsan, on January 6th 2010, 11:49 AM, said:

As I said: I could not enter the "@" sign which is needed to enter my e-mail address to log into my EA account – which in turn in required to authenticate the DLC.

can you not just change your keyboard layout to american in the mac os x preferences, authenticate it and turn it back to whatever your using now?

#37 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:58 AM

DAO, and all of its additional content (expansions, DLC, & player-created - assuming any of it will work) looks like my dream game. Possibly good enough that I wouldn't need to buy any other game for the entire calendar year.

However, although I've had decent luck with Ciderized games (except for EVE and Warhammer) my late 2006 24" iMac is at the very bottom of the requirements list. Frankly I'm surprised it qualified at all. That said I'm waiting until I get a new Mac to even attempt to play it. My new Mac will most likely be a Quad core iMac, either one of the recent ones or the next refresh. I'm waiting until around May or June regardless.

DAO should be the perfect way to introduce myself to a new iMac.  :D

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#38 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:17 PM

View Postijedi42, on January 6th 2010, 06:13 PM, said:

can you not just change your keyboard layout to american in the mac os x preferences, authenticate it and turn it back to whatever your using now?
That's what the aforementioned solution from the Bioware forum boils down to. Still, that's not something that should slip by a decent quality control.

#39 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

That is true

#40 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

Has this already been covered: Which direct download service seems to have the best consumer feedback/option(s) to re-download?

TIA
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB