F/A-18 OIF - Training Part II

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 La Porta

La Porta

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:34 PM

Hi fellas! I'm new here, and this will be my first post.

I have followed up with the posts here regarding button training for OIF. I have a Gravis Xterminator joystick. 10.6.2 (and yes, OIF works!) on a MacBook Pro 17" Core Duo. As far as stick calibration, button training...good to go. The trouble I am having is assigning the throttle and view switches (which are analog). Being analog, I obviously can't "click" them to reassign them. The throttle does nothing, and the view switch controls the throttle...which doesn't work properly because the switch auto-centers, keeping the throttle around 65%. I want to assign the throttle switch to obviously control the throttle. I have even opened the OIF application Package, looked around in the HID settings, but can find no sort of preference as to what buttons are assigned what....and anything I do find is over my head. Any ideas from anyone at all?

-John

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:53 AM

First of all: welcome aboard.

Regarding your question: you are not missing something. OIF's joystick support was rather broken right from the beginning and despite several promises from GraphSim never has been properly fixed. You might have success on the solution of your problem with some additional programs like USB Overdrive or GamePad Companion (which unlike its name suggests also works for joysticks), that give you additional options to assign special functions to your joystick's control elements.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 La Porta

La Porta

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:50 AM

Well, USB Overdrive was unable to fix the throttle issue, regrettably. However, the in-game training and calibration worked well enough that I can use the rest of the stick just fine. So, I'm back to doing all those wonderful Hornet things!