3 replies to this topic

#1 Lobby4

Lobby4

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:04 PM

I want to back up both my Mac and Windows partitions on the same portable hard drive.  If I buy a (I assume NTFS-formatted) portable hard drive, can I use Disk Utility to create a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition without disrupting the NTFS section?  Will OSX even recognize NTFS?

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7215 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:01 AM

You'll probably have to reformat the NTFS partition under Windows after creating the Mac partition, but basically your idea should work. MacOS X can read NTFS partitions, but (out of the box) not write on them.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2705 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

Format the drive to FAT32, both OS's can read that
- Snake

Tulkas - 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 16 GB RAM || ATi 4870  ||  512 GB Crucial M500 + 2 TB WD Black || OS X Mavericks
Odin - Core i3 4150 @ 3.5 GHz || 16 GB RAM || GTX 760  || 120 GB Vertex 4 + 1 TB Seagate SSHD || Win 7 Pro x64

#4 tomy

tomy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

View PostJanichsan, on November 19th 2009, 02:01 AM, said:

You'll probably have to reformat the NTFS partition under Windows after creating the Mac partition, but basically your idea should work. MacOS X can read NTFS partitions, but (out of the box) not write on them.

Mac os x if you can read and write to NTFS under what is needed as the MacFUSE some plugins for it.

The downside of FAT32 files over 4 G may not fall ...