3 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:53 PM

Originally announced earlier this year the new 1.13 patch for Blizzard Entertainment's action RPG Diablo II has once again been delayed. This time the release has been held up by worries about the impact of increased player stash sizes on the battle.net servers. Blizzard's Bashiok, in a recent forum posting, said the issue is being examined and more information will hopefully be made available next week.

The Diablo II 1.13 patch is on temporary hold while we investigate potential impact on the Battle.net service. As we moved closer to launching the patch concerns grew that an increase in the player stash size (a feature in the patch) could compromise the Diablo II Battle.net service. The hardware and configuration could potentially not handle the increased stash size gracefully under heavy load. Currently we’re investigating potential impact as it is one of the larger content features in the patch and we’re hoping it can remain a part of the release. If it does have to be removed it will require additional time to remove it, generate new patches, and test, which will add time before we can go live on the PTR.

We’re hoping to have our diagnostics and a final decision on how we’ll be moving forward decided by early next week and we’ll have an update for you at that time.
Read more at the forum listed below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 TrooperSam

TrooperSam

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:32 AM

I don't mean to stir up trouble, but I see their excuse is bs. I can't see how an increase in stash size from 8x6 to 12x10 (I think that is the new size) can cause such problems. There is a feature of many Diablo II mods called PlugY. It makes the Horadric Cube 8x10 and the stash size is 10x10 and, get this, 4.28 billion (yes, **billion** ) pages of inventory. Guess what? It runs fine.
I can't help but think that someone at Blizzard did a very bad job at writing code. The Warcraft 3 patch that fixed the malware problem (could end up downloading malware when you downloaded a map) caused many maps (even Blizzard's own maps) to not work. Fans were talking about how bad the patch was.
Bashiok earlier announced that they had a meeting and decided that only the quickest and easiest problems would be fixed. Sounds like this patch won't be that much of a patch. Reminds me of the 1.12 patch that fixed two bugs, and that was after 28 pages of fans discussing the problems that exist in the game.

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8583 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:54 AM

View PostTrooperSam, on October 2nd 2009, 12:32 PM, said:

I don't mean to stir up trouble, but I see their excuse is bs. I can't see how an increase in stash size from 8x6 to 12x10 (I think that is the new size) can cause such problems. There is a feature of many Diablo II mods called PlugY. It makes the Horadric Cube 8x10 and the stash size is 10x10 and, get this, 4.28 billion (yes, **billion** ) pages of inventory. Guess what? It runs fine.
On the online multiplayer Battle.Net? I don't think so.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:43 PM

They're still supporting Diablo II years and years after it came out and you're complaining?   :blink: