#21 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:34 PM

View Postandyst, on September 26th 2009, 01:54 PM, said:

I hate to put a downer on things, but having played the game to completion on XBOX why would I want to buy another copy for Mac? Especially with Bioshock 2 due early 2010?

Frankly, from what I've read/seen about Bioshock 2 it looks much more like a spin-off than an actual sequel. Yes, the first game had some flaws, but, overall, I doubt B2 will be the better game. I certainly don't think it'll provide the same kind of atmosphere in comparison to the original. They just should have left it as a standalone game... but I guess business is business.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#22 Jeyl

Jeyl

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Steam Name:Jeyl
  • Steam ID:jeyl1984

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:08 PM

View PostPegasus, on September 26th 2009, 07:34 PM, said:

I certainly don't think it'll provide the same kind of atmosphere in comparison to the original. They just should have left it as a standalone game...
This situation kind of reminds me of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm. It's not so much an expansion, but more of an upgrade like Leopard to Snow Leopard. Same stuff, with tad bit more features. Everything else is the same.

I think the atmosphere will be maintained, because we're still in an underwater city that's leaking like crazy. Only this time we have a Resident Evil NEMESIS roaming around called Big Sister. That's pretty much it.

Oh, don't forget the drill.
Processor: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Mac OS X Version 10.7.3

#23 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

View PostJeyl, on September 26th 2009, 07:08 PM, said:

This situation kind of reminds me of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm. It's not so much an expansion, but more of an upgrade like Leopard to Snow Leopard. Same stuff, with tad bit more features. Everything else is the same.
I'm no WoW cheerleader, but I think that comparison is not well thought out.  Cataclysm is supposed to change the quests from 0-80 to be more diverse.  The majority of the world is going to be changed (along with the quests), and that it is all 'on the surface.'  Much of Snow Leopard's changes were below the surface and not obvious / visible.  I don't see that comparison at all.  

After watching the gameplay for BioShock 2, I have to say that I want it...  but alas, it might not make the cut at the time it comes out.  Especially if Splinter Cell Conviction comes out around that time.  

To me, the original BioShock is an incredible experience, worth playing over.  Even though I feel I've sort of mastered it and the gameplay goes smooth for me, I still find it an enjoyable retelling . . . sort of like watching a favorite movie again.

#24 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:49 PM

View Postteflon, on September 27th 2009, 10:05 AM, said:

Its simple... Apple just have a single disk pressed, and then change the EULA. Covers themselves from excessive abuse, allows them to advertise the $29 as not being for 10.4, yet maintains the continuing near total lack of administrative hassle that an upgrade to the latest OS X entails.
Nobody loses, apart from those still on 10.4 who don't realise this and so buy the big box. But if you think about it, they're basically just paying for 10.5 and then 10.6 and getting a bunch of free software in the process. Hurrah!

Anyway, just get whichever one you want. Just beware that if you break the EULA, then you're literally signing off on letting Steve Jobs kick down your door and stamp on your hands. Which he can now do thanks to his new liver.
Okay, okay, thanks. How would you break the EULA?

View PostEric5h5, on September 27th 2009, 11:12 AM, said:

Also, when you die you will burn in Apple Hell, in which everybody is forced to use the puck mouse for all eternity.

--Eric

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on September 27th 2009, 11:33 AM, said:

You will also be forced to play games only on machines that play them at 2FPS.
Ha ha ha. I could imagine… :bleedingeyes:

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#25 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:59 PM

View PostThe Liberator, on September 26th 2009, 11:49 PM, said:

How would you break the EULA?

By buying the $29 "Leopard upgrade version" and installing it over 10.4 (which, as I may have mentioned, causes you to go to Apple Hell when you die).

Personally I'm bypassing the entire issue by not being able to upgrade my G5 to 10.6 even if I wanted to, and the next Mac I get will have it installed as standard anyway.

--Eric

#26 Jeyl

Jeyl

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Steam Name:Jeyl
  • Steam ID:jeyl1984

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:59 AM

View PostJ, on September 26th 2009, 09:43 PM, said:

Cataclysm is supposed to change the quests from 0-80 to be more diverse.  The majority of the world is going to be changed (along with the quests), and that it is all 'on the surface.
Actually it's 1-80. But the whole comparison I"m trying to point out is that it's still the same world of Rapture that has been altered. With Cataclysm, you can now fly in classic areas. In BioShock 2, you can walk out into the ocean to access different areas. But overall, it's just changes to a world that's already established instead of overall brand new content and new worlds that most sequels (and certainly the previous WoW expansions have given) tend to provide.
Processor: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Mac OS X Version 10.7.3

#27 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:00 AM

The EULA for the $29 version says you can only install it over Leopard.
TUAW have a better explanation of it.

But none of this affects the software and the actual installation capabilities.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#28 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:48 AM

Would there be any way that Apple would be able to find out, like when asking for help, or warranty servicing or something?

Thanks, Liberator.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#29 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:25 AM

Nah, not really. If you're feeling particularly paranoid you could do a clean & install instead of an upgrade (can you even do an upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6?.

Anyway, this kind of things been in the EULA for years with the whole single and family licenses thing.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#30 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

Is this two years or one year late?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#31 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:46 PM

View PostJeyl, on September 27th 2009, 03:59 AM, said:

Actually it's 1-80. But the whole comparison I"m trying to point out is that it's still the same world of Rapture that has been altered. With Cataclysm, you can now fly in classic areas. In BioShock 2, you can walk out into the ocean to access different areas. But overall, it's just changes to a world that's already established instead of overall brand new content and new worlds that most sequels (and certainly the previous WoW expansions have given) tend to provide.

I suppose I see the point you were trying to make, but even with that bit of information, I still disagree. The 'same world of rapture' won't be the same playing areas as the previous game (at least, nothing I've seen looks like any shared areas are used). Additionally, the ability to fly in classic areas sort of ignores that those classic areas are going to be heavily retooled / redesigned.  

Again, not a comparison I'd make.

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on September 26th 2009, 06:24 PM, said:

Yeah I'd rather play it on OS X than play it again in Windows. Especially Windows 7 there seems to be sound issues with it on there.

Sound issues fixed in the release candidate (possibly sooner, I didn't try any of the leaked interim builds).  

(I have a lot of UE3 based games and noticed the pronounced sound issues in all of them in the 7000 build).

#32 Kayos

Kayos

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:49 PM

View Postandyst, on September 26th 2009, 05:54 PM, said:

I hate to put a downer on things, but having played the game to completion on XBOX why would I want to buy another copy for Mac? Especially with Bioshock 2 due early 2010?
Everyone moans about the state of games for the Mac, but it’s no wonder when games hit the streets a year after their PC/XBOX/PS3 counterparts. Only when PC and Mac games hit simultaneously (thanks Blizzard) will Mac gaming get better. Good luck to Feral - I do hope you make some money out of the project! But sadly, mine has already been spent.

I have to agree. With the advent of BootCamp, I'm not willing to wait and see if these games will be released on the Mac. I've already bought plenty of games for Windows (the only reason I use Windows at all) including Bioshock, I'm certainly not going the shell out another $50 to save me the three minutes to boot into Windows.

That being said, if I knew a Mac version would be coming out I would wait to purchase it. I'd much rather play on OS X. :nods:

#33 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:59 PM

View Postteflon, on September 28th 2009, 12:25 AM, said:

Nah, not really. If you're feeling particularly paranoid you could do a clean & install instead of an upgrade (can you even do an upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6?.

Anyway, this kind of things been in the EULA for years with the whole single and family licenses thing.
Hmmm, okay thanks.

View PostAussieMacGamer, on September 28th 2009, 09:29 AM, said:

Is this two years or one year late?
I am probably wrong, but I think it is just one year late.

Liberator.

#34 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

View PostThe Liberator, on September 27th 2009, 07:59 PM, said:

I am probably wrong, but I think it is just one year late.

BioShock was released August 21st, 2007.

#35 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:15 PM

…yes, that definitely makes more sense.

Thanks, Liberator.

#36 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:20 AM

View PostJ, on September 27th 2009, 05:46 PM, said:

Sound issues fixed in the release candidate (possibly sooner, I didn't try any of the leaked interim builds).  

(I have a lot of UE3 based games and noticed the pronounced sound issues in all of them in the 7000 build).

I was running the pre-RTM RC build and a few builds before that.. each much newer than the 7000 build. Anyway that was not on my computer and by the time I get my new Mac the Mac version will be out. BTW, it was because of problems with the FMOD sound system and Windows 7 on that particular computer not because of the unreal engine (which Bioshock uses a modded 2.5 not 3). I did my research into the problem.

Hasn't anyone considered that Bioshock is coming out on the 7th because it doesn't use UE3? Bioshock is not being held up by the UE3 port to the Mac being delayed because of this. Bioshock was being developed in general long before the UE3 was available.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#37 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:20 AM

View Postandyst, on September 26th 2009, 01:54 PM, said:

Good luck to Feral - I do hope you make some money out of the project! But sadly, mine has already been spent.

Good for you and thanks for the comment :) I hope you enjoyed the XBOX version, I know we did while doing the testing. :) The Mac version took a little longer than planned (just like the PS3 version in fact) although we do tend to get a lot closer to PC/Console dates in recent years. Games like LEGO Batman and TombRaider Anniversary came within only a few months of the PC/Console versions.

If we could release the same day we would but it is not always possible for a number of reasons. However we always aim to get it ported asap to you can all play asap.

Cheers,

Edwin

#38 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:17 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on September 28th 2009, 08:20 AM, said:

Hasn't anyone considered that Bioshock is coming out on the 7th because it doesn't use UE3?

It's coming out then because that's my birthday, and I had a word with Feral.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#39 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:49 AM

I think I read the PS3 version had some extras like a few extra big daddy designs. Will these be in the Mac version?
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#40 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:51 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on September 28th 2009, 04:49 AM, said:

I think I read the PS3 version had some extras like a few extra big daddy designs. Will these be in the Mac version?

The PS3 had some floor reflections and also some extra exclusive puzzle rooms. These are only in the PS3 code and this code is not compatible with the PC code which is also a different version to the Mac version.

So short answer no it does not. It does however have all the PC fixes and updates rolled in.

Edwin