#1001 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

View PostBifBologna, on 25 January 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

Where you play it first counts as long as you install it and play it within a month. If you wait longer than a month the payment defaults to the original or "primary" publisher.

Yeah, otherwise no one might get paid for months or years, or maybe never. Valve would have to maintain a reserve of money just in case an old game that people bought and didn't play suddenly won Overlooked Game of the Century, and everyone started playing it. And what if the original publisher didn't exist any more?

So I can see why Valve does it this way but it would be nice if they could work in a new rule to cover the case where a Mac/Linux version is pending and people are stocking up a few months ahead of time.

Oh well, lesson learned (by me). I've heard the Mac publishers say that they are overall pleased with how its gone with SteamPlay so I won't lose sleep over these two titles, but I will keep the 1-month rule in mind next time.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#1002 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

Often times that decision is not made easy because we don't know when if or when a game will be released. Even worse with companies like Aspyr whom we don't know if they are working on anything new for this year. Yeah, I know people would say, "Of course they are!"... it's still a mystery to me exactly what it is.

What you could do though.. is if you really want to support the publisher yet partake in sales you could buy it when it's on sale* and then later on when for example Feral releases the Mac port buy it again directly from them so you can support their efforts. Sure, you end up paying twice... but you can rest assured that the porting studio gets paid. :)

*Still doesn't work in some cases like if you are hopeful a game will come to the Mac. It's not wise to buy games willy nilly in the hopes they'll someday get a Mac port especially if you are going to end up purchasing it again at that time anyway. Ah, the dilemma of the mac gamer... hold out in the hopes that it'll come to your platform or buy it now and bootcamp\virtualize\wrap it.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#1003 Djevlen

Djevlen

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

Which is why I wait for a release date before buying/pre-ordering a game, just because a game is on sale somewhere doesn't mean you have to buy it. :P I'll never install windows on any of my macs anyway so that solves that problem.

Basically if the game isn't coming to OS X I won't be playing it.
Mid-2011 27' iMac:  i5 3.1Ghz 16gb ram 6970m 1gb 1tb HDD
2010 17' MBP i7 2.66Ghz 8gb ram GT330m512 320gb HDD
iPhone 5 Black 64gb
iPad 4 Black 64gb Wifi

#1004 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Well if that works out for you and you can live with it then that's perfectly fine. But you are missing out on a lot to be honest.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#1005 Djevlen

Djevlen

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

Sure I am, but on the other hand I get to spend time with some great indie titles that I probably wouldn't have been playing had I installed Windows.
iPhone 5 Black 64gb
iPad 4 Black 64gb Wifi

#1006 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

I'm leaning towards Djevlen's approach. In my case I'm already buying Mac games faster than I play them. I could do with a little more self-control when it comes to Steam sales, even when I know for a fact that the game is already slated for a Mac port.

> But you are missing out on a lot to be honest.

I agree, but what I'm really missing is time to play all the games I'd like to play. Sticking to Mac-only is one way to keep it more manageable, and also avoid complaints from certain family members that I closed down their browser window. :-)

#1007 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 27 January 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

[...] also avoid complaints from certain family members that I closed down their browser window. :-)

I detect rumblings in the Diamond family abode.  Take my advice, use the iron fist approach.  You're not elected right?  Make use of this to force your iron will upon your scrabbling minions.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#1008 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 27 January 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

I detect rumblings in the Diamond family abode.  Take my advice, use the iron fist approach.  You're not elected right?  Make use of this to force your iron will upon your scrabbling minions.

Great idea! I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

</lastwords>

#1009 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 27 January 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

I'm leaning towards Djevlen's approach. In my case I'm already buying Mac games faster than I play them. I could do with a little more self-control when it comes to Steam sales, even when I know for a fact that the game is already slated for a Mac port.
Don't get me wrong though. It's not like I'm hoarding tons and tons and tons *keep going ad infinitum* of games that I can't ever play or doing all my gaming in Wine or Parallels (no I don't bootcamp). Or buying stuff that I know for certain is coming to the Mac because I just can't wait.

It's just that in my case I personally know there's stuff I played that I know I would have missed on had I not gone with those solutions... and at least with some games such as say... Street Fighter (or anything japanese, fighting games) and many others. I have a strong suspicion that Feral or even Aspyr will never port them to the Mac nor will they (the original company) do it themselves. Sure I make suggestions sometimes but just the word of one lowly gamer doesn't cause them to suddenly get to work on whatever it is that I want at the moment. :P

So it's easier for me to decide to get the Windows version and play that... otherwise I'd never ever play it. Could I live without playing it? Sure I can... just like I live without playing consoles. Am I happier having at least tried it via the methods I listed above... When it works.. yes... definitely. When it doesn't? Well.. I just learn to live without playing it until I find out that it can be played.

I'm happy to have played Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Tekken vs Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat 9, Aliens Colonial Marines, etc. either via parallels or Wine (they are just examples, I know they don't necessarily fit the tastes of people reading this and they would no doubtedly say "I can learn to live without those"). The former obviously requiring a copy of Windows.. the latter requiring tinkering. Did it suck up all my time though? No.. I also don't spend every waking moment gaming. In fact I go days and weeks without firing up a game sometimes.

My tastes and desires don't just revolve around what Feral or Aspyr thinks Mac gamers (as if they are homogenous group*) are interested and or what they are interested in. That's all. :)

*Maybe they are a homogenous group and I'm an outlier. :P
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#1010 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

Don't you just love the kind of "this is why you don't game on a mac" or "it was a mac what do you expect" or "You used a Macbook there's your problem right there" type of comments that articles like this attract?

http://kotaku.com/wh...fuel-1510215370
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#1011 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 27 January 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

Great idea! I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

</lastwords>

Remember to use class warfare, tell them that the pie is a zero sum gain and that if somebody in the family gets something, that means somebody else goes without.  Once they have counted up each other's stuff they will all at each other's throats leaving you with a free hand to rule by royal fiat.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#1012 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 27 January 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

I'm happy to have played Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon,

Blood Dragon was ammaaaaaaaaaaazing. :teehee:
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#1013 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

Well, the mystery has been solved about Shoot to Thrill and it's not Batman Arkham Origins...

It's LEGO Marvel Super Heroes....

This was pointed out to me on facebook recently... here's the image the radar pic was clipped from... top right corner of the front wheel...

for reference:

Posted Image

Posted Image
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#1014 Djevlen

Djevlen

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

Makes sense with all the Lego games they have ported(or published, if I remember correctly I read somewhere that Feral only acts as a publisher on the mac version of these type of games) in the past.

Also by reading some reviews it looks like Batman: AO wasn't nearly as good as the two other Batman games, so perhaps it doesn't matter that it isn't being ported, I'd rather see Feral port all the great games out there and not waste their precious time on average games. :)
iPhone 5 Black 64gb
iPad 4 Black 64gb Wifi

#1015 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

I've also read that Batman Arkham Origins is "just more of the same"... rather than being worse. I still want it... Personally I didn't think Bioshock 2 wasn't nearly as good as the first and it too was made by a different studio than the first. But I am still glad the Mac has it even just for completion sake. There are people who due to their interests don't think any LEGO or Rayman game is more than average because they just don't like that style. People on facebook have been saying, "NO I DON'T WANT THIS I WANT BATMAN NAO!"
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#1016 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

Someone on facebook guessed Medieval 2: Total War for Starship Enterprise rather than Anno 1701 or 2070 because, byzantine empire.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#1017 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 28 January 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

Remember to use class warfare, tell them that the pie is a zero sum gain and that if somebody in the family gets something, that means somebody else goes without.  Once they have counted up each other's stuff they will all at each other's throats leaving you with a free hand to rule by royal fiat.
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#1018 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:40 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 28 January 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

Well, the mystery has been solved about Shoot to Thrill and it's not Batman Arkham Origins...

It's LEGO Marvel Super Heroes....
Ah, I was already beginning to wonder when this would come. Since LMSH is apparently one of the best LEGO games so far (and since I like the LEGO games), that's still very fine with me.

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 28 January 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

I've also read that Batman Arkham Origins is "just more of the same"... rather than being worse. I still want it...
That's the impression I got, too. It's not bad, but mainly Arkham City done again. Which is also fine with me, since Arkham City was great. I'll definitely get Arkham Origins sooner or later, but will probably wait for a complete edition with all the DLC bundled (there are apparently still some coming).

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 28 January 2014 - 08:01 PM, said:

Someone on facebook guessed Medieval 2: Total War for Starship Enterprise rather than Anno 1701 or 2070 because, byzantine empire.
Well, since my guess is Anno 1404 or 1701, it still fits. :P

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#1019 Djevlen

Djevlen

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

Looks like their radar technicians are on vacation because Tomb Raider is still a signal on it, and we all know that the plane carrying ms Croft has landed at Feral International Airport.
iPhone 5 Black 64gb
iPad 4 Black 64gb Wifi

#1020 Trautman

Trautman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

http://steamdb.info/...#section_depots
Probably Hitman: Absolution is SteamPlay.