Organizing The Sims 2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cheshirekat

cheshirekat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:39 AM

After not playing for nearly two years, I got hooked on The Sims 2 this week. I only have the base game with the University expansion pack. But, I am waiting for UPS to arrive today with the Glamour Life and Seasons expansion packs I ordered. I am so excited!

Anyhow, I am considering doing a fresh install of the base game and the expansion packs. I have a bunch of stuff I downloaded for the game (custom content) and want to know if it is okay to put the downloads in folders within the ":Users:cheshirekat:Documents:EA Games:The Sims 2:Downloads:" folder? So I can have something like this:

Downloads
... Appliances
... Beds
... Furniture
... Skins
... Walls
...  etc

Also, since it has been so long ago that I installed the game, will I need the manual for the base game or the University expansion pack to install them? I found the DVDs (in their cases), of course, but am worried whether this is one of those games that ask for some text from the manual when installing.

How do I package up one of the houses/lots so I can install them later? I have a backup of my entire hard drive, but would like to make a backup of specific houses/Sims from the game to install after I do a fresh install of the games today.

Thanks
Better to die, and sleep
The never-waking sleep, than linger on
And dare to live when the soul's life is gone.

-Sophocles, "Ajax" (circa 409 B.C.)

* Mac Pro 2 GHz Quad Xeon * OS X 10.4.11 * 12 GB RAM * 23" Apple Cinema Display

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7096 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:04 AM

View Postcheshirekat, on September 4th 2009, 04:39 PM, said:

Anyhow, I am considering doing a fresh install of the base game and the expansion packs. I have a bunch of stuff I downloaded for the game (custom content) and want to know if it is okay to put the downloads in folders within the ":Users:cheshirekat:Documents:EA Games:The Sims 2:Downloads:" folder?
Unfortunately not (when I recall correctly). The game won't find your downloads when put into a sub-folder.

Also, since it has been so long ago that I installed the game, will I need the manual for the base game or the University expansion pack to install them? I found the DVDs (in their cases), of course, but am worried whether this is one of those games that ask for some text from the manual when installing.
Well, you should make sure you still have your serial number, but games stopped asking for stuff from the manual a long time ago.

How do I package up one of the houses/lots so I can install them later? I have a backup of my entire hard drive, but would like to make a backup of specific houses/Sims from the game to install after I do a fresh install of the games today.
That can be done in-game. When selecting the lot, click on the star and export the sims as a package. The package can then be found in PackagedLots folder.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 cheshirekat

cheshirekat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:02 PM

View PostJanichsan, on September 4th 2009, 09:04 AM, said:

Unfortunately not (when I recall correctly). The game won't find your downloads when put into a sub-folder.

Well, you should make sure you still have your serial number, but games stopped asking for stuff from the manual a long time ago.
That can be done in-game. When selecting the lot, click on the star and export the sims as a package. The package can then be found in PackagedLots folder.

Thanks Janichsan for your reply. I've been looking for info on various Sims2 sites while waiting for the delivery. Looks like there is software that allows pc users to organize subfolders for their downloads folder, but I don't see anything for Mac. Haven't been able to find much in the way of specific Mac questions about the game. I assume that Mac users can have subfolders if it is allowed in the pc version but would like to be sure.

But it is interesting to read the game play I can expect from the two new expansion packs. So I may not have to think about new downloads for a while. But I have stuff that I have already downloaded that I would like to try out. Since I'm already going to be doing a fresh install, I may as well test what happens when I make subfolders.

I don't know when the UPS will get here, sometimes they don't arrive until late at night. So I may try to explore more Sims2 sites before I try to package up a couple of my lots and start the fresh install. I haven't played much so I only have one Sim family I want to save but I have a few houses I made that I really like and want to continue to use.

Looks like the serial number is on the case for The Sims2, thankfully. Not on the fat University case. The one family I want to save has the one and only sim I sent to college and got her to graduate, so I definitely want to keep working on getting the sim to the top of the medical career.
Better to die, and sleep
The never-waking sleep, than linger on
And dare to live when the soul's life is gone.

-Sophocles, "Ajax" (circa 409 B.C.)

* Mac Pro 2 GHz Quad Xeon * OS X 10.4.11 * 12 GB RAM * 23" Apple Cinema Display

#4 Togglemeister

Togglemeister

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:59 AM

I picked up this Sims 2 game for $30.27 (amazon), Open for Business $9.96 (amazon), Seasons $6.59 (amazon), and University $7.98 (amazon). The season expansion is what opens up first after I installed all of them. Do I still have university there? and the others included in the game now?
(Now) Late 2013 27" 3.4 ghz iMac, stock configurations.
(Then) 2005 Powermac G5 Dual Core 2.3 ghz, Leopard, 256mb nvidia 6600GT.
(Archived) DA w/Single Sonnet G4 1.4 ghz  2mb L3, Tiger, 1 gb ram, 128 mb ati 9800 pro (AGP)

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7096 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:15 AM

View PostTogglemeister, on 17 May 2011 - 12:59 AM, said:

I picked up this Sims 2 game for $30.27 (amazon), Open for Business $9.96 (amazon), Seasons $6.59 (amazon), and University $7.98 (amazon). The season expansion is what opens up first after I installed all of them. Do I still have university there? and the others included in the game now?
Yep. The game's icon and title always changes to the latest installed expansion pack. The content of the previous packs is still available, though.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"