Snow Leopard Game Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Enyale

Enyale

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:54 AM

I've just upgraded to Snow Leopard and started up all my programs in turn to reenter registration information if needed and check for compatibility issues.

There were several games among them. Most seem to work fine (or at least they start up fine):

Age of Empires III
American McGee's Alice™
Apeiron X
Bubble Trouble X
Command & Conquer Generals
Command and Conquer - Red Alert 3
Command and Conquer 3
Deimos Rising
Doom 3
Dungeon Siege
Halo
Heroes of Might and Magic V
Jade Empire Special Edition
Kitty Spangles Solitaire
Myth II
Neverwinter Nights
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 1 & 2
Oni
Pangea Arcade™
Prince of Persia The Two Thrones
Quake 4
Quake3
Warcraft III
WingNuts 2
XIII

One application seems to be broken under 10.6 though: it's the great RPG 'Freedom Force'.

Here is the error as reported in the 'FF.err' file:

PYTHON: 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback

'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
glob: Undefined error: 0
glob: No such file or directory
cpu time = 0x0000041b : 0x01f6e652
cpu time = 0x0000041b : 0x01f8714e
System processor count is 2

MacPLay no longer exists, but the port was made by the OmniGroup at the time. So maybe a patch is not out of the question? Let's hope so anyway. I'd hate to see that game remain incompatible.

Best.

#2 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

View PostEnyale, on August 29th 2009, 09:54 AM, said:

I've just upgraded to Snow Leopard and started up all my programs in turn to reenter registration information if needed and check for compatibility issues.

There were several games among them. Most seem to work fine (or at least they start up fine):

Age of Empires III
American McGee's Alice™
Apeiron X
Bubble Trouble X
Command & Conquer Generals
Command and Conquer - Red Alert 3
Command and Conquer 3
Deimos Rising
Doom 3
Dungeon Siege
Halo
Heroes of Might and Magic V
Jade Empire Special Edition
Kitty Spangles Solitaire
Myth II
Neverwinter Nights
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 1 & 2
Oni
Pangea Arcade™
Prince of Persia The Two Thrones
Quake 4
Quake3
Warcraft III
WingNuts 2
XIII

One application seems to be broken under 10.6 though: it's the great RPG 'Freedom Force'.

Here is the error as reported in the 'FF.err' file:

PYTHON: 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback

'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
glob: Undefined error: 0
cpu time = 0x0000041b : 0x01f6e652
cpu time = 0x0000041b : 0x01f8714e
System processor count is 2

MacPLay no longer exists, but the port was made by the OmniGroup at the time. So maybe a patch is not out of the question? Let's hope so anyway. I'd hate to see that game remain incompatible.

Best.

I've not had much time to go through my games yet but you can add 4x4 Evo, Wolf ET, RTCW, and Virtual Grand Prix 3 to the OK list. Rosetta is needed for the PowerPC ones of course.

I doubt we will see any patches for the old MacPlay titles, it didn't happen for FAKK2, Giants, NOLF2, AVP2, TRON 2 or SOF2 - they all either don't work of have serious issues since around 10.3.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:46 PM

While it is not an ideal solution, you can play the steam version of Freedom Force in Crossover. Works great. You can get FF1 and 2 (the one that never made it to the mac) for a nice $7.49. You'll need the RC1 of Crossover Games 8, as 7 does not work in SL. You can get it at the Codeweavers support forums. I think the final version is supposed to come out Sept. 1.

#4 Camille

Camille

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:09 AM

How did you get Red Alert 3 working ? My copy launches fine but crashes when before entering any map.

#5 Stark Rhavyn

Stark Rhavyn

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:38 PM

What about Star Wars: Empire at War?
I finally got a new Intel chip mac (been living on a G4 for years) with Snow Leopard and I want to finally get this game. But I'd like to know if anyone has tested it out on 10.6 before I buy.
Thanks!

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

View PostStark Rhavyn, on September 3rd 2009, 09:38 PM, said:

What about Star Wars: Empire at War?
I finally got a new Intel chip mac (been living on a G4 for years) with Snow Leopard and I want to finally get this game. But I'd like to know if anyone has tested it out on 10.6 before I buy.
Thanks!
Works perfectly fine for me – I just tested it for some quick wasting of Rebel scum. (Now I just have to make myself stop whistling the Imperial March...)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:23 AM

Okay, I found one casualty on the weekend: Fallout (1) does no longer work. The screen turns black and remains so, though the game is obviously running. A pity.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3815 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

Heroes Of Newerth runs fine.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#9 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:05 PM

Has anyone with a X1600 or X1900 upgraded to Snow Leopard and tried playing KOTOR?

http://www.brad-oliv...ves/001099.html

Brad mentioned that the problem with poor performance with KOTOR and ATI HD2000 series GPUs and up in Leopard is that HD2000 and newer drivers no longer include support for ATI_text_fragment_shader.

http://developer.app...ties/index.html

Well, it looks like it was a sign of things to come as Apple has dropped support for ATI_text_fragment_shader completely even in the X1000 series drivers in Snow Leopard. It makes me think that I might just hold off to buy a new MacBook Pro when the Nehalem refresh comes around rather than upgrading my X1600 MacBook Pro to Snow Leopard.

Apple has also eliminated support for various iterations of the NV_register_combiners and NV_texture_shader extensions from all nVidia drivers in Snow Leopard, which might be the cause of some problems for nVidia owners and older games.

#10 billworld

billworld

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:18 PM

On my new MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard Age of Empires III (latest patches applied) suffers odd display flickering issues from time to time and CONSISTENTLY (e.g. every time) freezes about 40 minutes into the game (just when things get intense).

Anyone else see this? Is this a  know issue with a fix on the way?

I hope so!

#11 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:01 PM

View Postbillworld, on September 12th 2009, 03:18 PM, said:

On my new MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard Age of Empires III (latest patches applied) suffers odd display flickering issues from time to time and CONSISTENTLY (e.g. every time) freezes about 40 minutes into the game (just when things get intense).

Anyone else see this? Is this a  know issue with a fix on the way?

I hope so!
Sounds like a driver problem. Are your drivers up to date? Also did this happen before Snow Leopard? Oh and welcome to the forums. These guys should be able to help ya out  :nods:
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#12 Stark Rhavyn

Stark Rhavyn

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

I just tried out Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns.
Seems to work just fine under Snow Leopard!
Though, for some reason it wouldn't let me choose the biggest aspect ratio on my 24" iMac.
I don't know about online play though. I haven't been able to play that game online in years anyway. GameRanger just made it way to complicated.

#13 Vulpine

Vulpine

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:45 AM

View PostJanichsan, on September 7th 2009, 03:23 PM, said:

Okay, I found one casualty on the weekend: Fallout (1) does no longer work. The screen turns black and remains so, though the game is obviously running. A pity.

I can report that Fallout 1 works perfectly for me. I'm on 10.6.1, with a late 2008 unibody MacBook Pro.

#14 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:34 PM

I know this is rather off-topic, but my grandparents have been given a Macbook (white edition with 9400). Leopard was installed on it, when I opened it up and got it ready. As it was only bought very recently, Snow Leopard has been bundled with it.

Because of that, I am not sure if I should have Snow Leopard installed on it, or not? The reason for my thinking is because SL is only a few weeks old at the most, and Leopard was released in 07', would it be worth it installing it now, or waiting until a few of the bugs, and errors and other little things have been ironed out? This brings me onto the next questions…

Has anyone found any (rather larger) irregularities or errors or anything bad happening with the OS update? Are there any other bad things that have happened from upgrading to SL? If not, what are some of the less obvious good things that you have found from upgrading?

Thanks, Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#15 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on September 17th 2009, 10:34 PM, said:

I know this is rather off-topic, but my grandparents have been given a Macbook (white edition with 9400). Leopard was installed on it, when I opened it up and got it ready. As it was only bought very recently, Snow Leopard has been bundled with it.

Because of that, I am not sure if I should have Snow Leopard installed on it, or not? The reason for my thinking is because SL is only a few weeks old at the most, and Leopard was released in 07', would it be worth it installing it now, or waiting until a few of the bugs, and errors and other little things have been ironed out? This brings me onto the next questions…

Has anyone found any (rather larger) irregularities or errors or anything bad happening with the OS update? Are there any other bad things that have happened from upgrading to SL? If not, what are some of the less obvious good things that you have found from upgrading?

Thanks, Liberator.

I would go with Snow, the Leopard to Snow upgrade can be buggy (from our support issues) so in terms of low maintenance going forward I would get everything on Snow Leopard working instead of putting off and then potentially having issues in the upgrade. I don't quite know what goes wrong but a few people get crashes on our games after upgrading but if they make a new user all is fine so something left over in the user library can sometimes go wrong but I don't know what.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Edwin

#16 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

Okay, thanks.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:42 PM

View PostVulpine, on September 16th 2009, 07:45 PM, said:

I can report that Fallout 1 works perfectly for me. I'm on 10.6.1, with a late 2008 unibody MacBook Pro.
In full-screen or windowed mode? I'm coming to believe that I the problems I experienced are basically the same that plague SMAC (lacking support for 256 colour screen modes in SL).

#18 tomy

tomy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:55 PM

Neverwinter Nights ot compatible, since its first installation disk error arises because.

#19 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:25 PM

View Posttomy, on November 3rd 2009, 07:55 PM, said:

Neverwinter Nights ot compatible, since its first installation disk error arises because.
Hm, the game itself works (when it's already installed).

#20 dnaimagery

dnaimagery

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:34 AM

Can someone check to see if Baulders Gate II::SOA & TOB work?