Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:52 AM

View Postteflon, on August 26th 2009, 09:09 AM, said:

I honestly don't know why Apple bothered not to keep it as a compulsory part of 10.6 considering its size.
I guess they want to get used to the idea that Rosetta might be dropped in 10.7...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#22 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:04 AM

Yeah, it looks like they have taken a subtle approach. Let you keep it for now but pushing it aside somewhat. I wouldn't be surprised if it is gone by 10.7 either. Although it is nice to still have it around for now.

#23 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:37 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows about ram usage with snow leopard. If you have a mac pro, will applications start using more then 4gb of ram? or will they need to be updated first by developers?

#24 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:30 AM

View Postijedi42, on August 27th 2009, 08:37 AM, said:

If you have a mac pro, will applications start using more then 4gb of ram? or will they need to be updated first by developers?
Only when they already are available in a 64 bit version (and when they need more than 4 GB of RAM). Otherwise not.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#25 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:47 AM

Snow Leopard improves the reliability of ejecting discs and external drives. Sometimes when an application or process is using the files on a drive, Mac OS X prevents you from ejecting it, but you don’t always know why. In Snow Leopard, you’ll get fewer of those errors and when you do get them, you’ll see exactly which application is using the drive, so you can quit it and eject the drive properly.

Worth 40 bucks right there.

Single most hated Mac OS issue dealt with.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#26 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:10 AM

Appleinsider have just run with the story that you don't need the big box to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6
I guess it should have been pretty obvious really, Apple aren't going to go around printing off two separate types of the discs, on that lets 10.4 upgrade and one that doesnt. It doesn't make much sense.
Also good is that its not dependant on having an OS installed already, which some people might have been worried about.

Looks like Apple are carrying on with their very open OS install processes. Win!
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#27 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

View Postteflon, on August 27th 2009, 07:10 AM, said:

Looks like Apple are carrying on with their very open OS install processes. Win!
/QFE

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#28 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:29 AM

FYI, this wiki has a partial list of Mac applications and their compatibility status with 10.6.  
http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

#29 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

View Postteflon, on August 27th 2009, 06:10 AM, said:

Appleinsider have just run with the story that you don't need the big box to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6
I guess it should have been pretty obvious really, Apple aren't going to go around printing off two separate types of the discs, on that lets 10.4 upgrade and one that doesnt. It doesn't make much sense.
Also good is that its not dependant on having an OS installed already, which some people might have been worried about.

This is making me reconsider 10.6...
Hmm....
I could then sell it when I sell my macbook..,
hmm...
Mac Mini- 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
5GB RAM, 500GB HD + 250GB and 160GB External HDs

Rev.B-Macbook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
1GB RAM. 60GB HD

2nd Gen 8GB iPod Touch + OS 3.1

#30 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:25 AM

View PostRanger_Joe, on August 27th 2009, 10:29 AM, said:

FYI, this wiki has a partial list of Mac applications and their compatibility status with 10.6.  
http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/
thanks!

#31 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:38 AM

apparently some sites popped up yesterday that offered a free download of SL, while in reality it was malware.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#32 Magnum

Magnum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

So, does anyone have their copy yet?
2.71828183 * 3.14159265 * 299792458

#33 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

Yep!  :happy:

#34 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:39 AM

View PostMagnum, on August 28th 2009, 11:06 AM, said:

So, does anyone have their copy yet?

Yep, but can't install it until this evening.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#35 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/

Can someone with Snow Leopard and a newer GPU like the nVidia 9000 series or ATI HD4xxx run GLView and see what level of OpenGL support is present in Snow Leopard? ie. number of supported extensions for OpenGL 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2.

OpenGL 3.0 has been ratified now for more than a year and ATI and nVidia already provide official OpenGL 3.1 drivers for Windows and Linux so hopefully there is some progress in OS X. Reaching OpenGL 3.2 is particularly important since it incorporates extensions that make it easier to port DX games and applications over to OpenGL.

#36 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

Can't help you there unfortunately. Still using a 7000 series.

#37 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:09 PM

I installed it on my 2008 iMac, and I am quite  impressed, to say the least. After reading the reviews and looking at MacWorld's test results, I thought that the speed improvements would barely be noticeable. I was way wrong. The finder is much more responsive, and Mail positively flies. Searching 7,000 messages is just as fast as searching for a song in an iTunes playlist. The new Expose improvements are terrific as well.

Downsides? Quicktime X doesn't seem to want to play my avi files, even with Perian. And we might be in trouble with old game compatibility. I've only had time to try Alpha Centauri so far. It's playable, but has some problems. (I posted a separate thread about that in Strategy.) Luckily I still have my trusty old Powerbook, but it won't last forever...

If anyone has Rise of Nations, I'd be very interested as to how that runs. Friend's got my CD at the moment, so unfortunately I can't test it.

#38 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

I've installed this afternoon and except for a dodgy LIDE Canon scanner driver, everything is a dream. Noticeably faster on Raven, everything is snappier. Love it, everything runs perfectly.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#39 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:29 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on August 28th 2009, 03:38 PM, said:

apparently some sites popped up yesterday that offered a free download of SL, while in reality it was malware.

The irony of this being that if they had Snow Leopard installed, it could have alerted them to the malware.
To be honest, it serves people right for wanting to pirate stuff. The bad guys know that they have a sure fire hit if they can shove their malware in an Apple themed container, so they do it, and then the suckers that download it get caught out...

View PostCougar, on August 29th 2009, 03:09 AM, said:

I installed it on my 2008 iMac, and I am quite  impressed, to say the least. After reading the reviews and looking at MacWorld's test results, I thought that the speed improvements would barely be noticeable.

Macworld's test results are very poorly done. The main reason is that instead of doing the tests in Leopard then wiping the HDD, installing Snow and doing all the tests again, they partitioned the drive half and half and did the tests.
Presumably the Leopard was on the first, faster partition, whilst Snow was then half way into the drive's capacity and so loses about 10-15MB/s in read and write times. Which is very significant when you take the ideal potential improvements that would give you. Start up, Wake up, shut down, file zipping, file unzipping, and file duplicating would all end up being noticeably better than the results they reported.

Also, its possible that they (and you for that matter) aren't in 64-bit by default for whatever reason.

I believe that for compatibility, you can install QT 7 alongside QT X. But really, you've got to ask yourself why you're using QT in the first place. VLC is simply the best video player there is, and it looks like QT X has plenty of issues that means it doesn't even begin to challenge.

My copy of Snow just arrived. Im all set for some fun and frolics getting it up and running. Im going to completely wipe everything, Boot Camp included and put it back piece by piece. This is going to be fun! :D
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#40 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:09 AM

View Postteflon, on August 29th 2009, 05:29 AM, said:

My copy of Snow just arrived. Im all set for some fun and frolics getting it up and running. Im going to completely wipe everything, Boot Camp included and put it back piece by piece. This is going to be fun! :D

Why would you do that?   :bleedingeyes:
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh