102 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

On the home page now.

http://www.apple.com/

Go grab a copy at your local Apple store.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#2 Kaoro

Kaoro

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:01 AM

Awesome. I hope Amazon can offer release date delivery as well. No tax + no signature at delivery are good things :).
私は今日日本語で話します。

#3 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:49 AM

Amazon.co.uk haven't got their house in order here, and since they took forever to get a hold of Leopard 2 years ago, and its free delivery from Apple (and they'd probably get it to me quicker), I just plonked my £25 with Apple.
Im paying quite a bit more than you yanks, should be £21 really, but I've spent £4 on worse things...

Seriously can't wait. Im weird, I actually like OS installs (well, Apple's OS installs, not so much Windows). They're a PITA to get everything up and running again, specially if you like to do things like I do and copy stuff back manually (avoiding needless serial code re-entries where possible), but getting a clean slate with the OS is always great.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:56 AM

I'm torn. I really want to install this right away, but I'm scared about oldies possibly getting bjorked (namely, Rise of Nations and Alpha Centauri.) Oh well, that's what my Powerbook is for, right?

#5 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:46 AM

I've been running 10.4 on my MBP and want to move up to 10.6, but I hate that they've bundled iLife and iWork with 10.6. Granted, $169 is a better deal than about $129 for a stand alone version + $79 for iLife and + $79 for iWork. I just kind of dislike it when someone pushes software this way. I'd be much happier if iLife and iWork were just included in the OS and not presented as a "box set". Just include the suite of apps in Snow Leopard as part of the OS and then include updates to the suite of software within the point upgrades to Snow Leopard. Do away with the whole iLife '09, iLife '10, iLife '11 thing. If I have to buy it with the OS, make it part of the package and do free upgrades within the OS upgrades!
Does the $29 Leopard to Snow Leopard upgrade include the iLife/iWork software? If so, It would be cheaper for me to buy Leopard via amazon for $99 and buy the $29 upgrade...
Ah, well. Done ranting. Time to figure out how to justify a $169 software purchase to the wife ;)

#6 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:15 AM

Onward and upward!  I just placed my pre-order.  I wonder if they'll ship it ahead of time so that it will arrive closer to the 28th?  They did that with my 10.5 pre-order.

#7 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:27 PM

View PostRev-O, on August 25th 2009, 02:46 AM, said:

I've been running 10.4 on my MBP and want to move up to 10.6, but I hate that they've bundled iLife and iWork with 10.6. Granted, $169 is a better deal than about $129 for a stand alone version + $79 for iLife and + $79 for iWork. I just kind of dislike it when someone pushes software this way. I'd be much happier if iLife and iWork were just included in the OS and not presented as a "box set". Just include the suite of apps in Snow Leopard as part of the OS and then include updates to the suite of software within the point upgrades to Snow Leopard. Do away with the whole iLife '09, iLife '10, iLife '11 thing. If I have to buy it with the OS, make it part of the package and do free upgrades within the OS upgrades!
Does the $29 Leopard to Snow Leopard upgrade include the iLife/iWork software? If so, It would be cheaper for me to buy Leopard via amazon for $99 and buy the $29 upgrade...
Ah, well. Done ranting. Time to figure out how to justify a $169 software purchase to the wife ;)
Supposedly iWork 09' is really quite good. And it has a full screen function that blacks out everything else. You may as well buy it for just that. ;)

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#8 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

Cool.
I'll see what other say after they've played around w/ it.
I won't be upgrading since I'm hoping to get a Mini and will get 10.6 on  that instead.
No point in paying for something twice.
Mac Mini- 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
5GB RAM, 500GB HD + 250GB and 160GB External HDs

Rev.B-Macbook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
1GB RAM. 60GB HD

2nd Gen 8GB iPod Touch + OS 3.1

#9 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

Why would I purchase the family package?  I do have 4 Macs, but I've always installed new operating systems around, except the latest couple for the old G3.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#10 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

View Postdojoboy, on August 25th 2009, 01:08 AM, said:

Why would I purchase the family package?  I do have 4 Macs, but I've always installed new operating systems around, except the latest couple for the old G3.

Basically it's about just Apple loyalism and being total legit.

#11 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

Hm, I may just order it. I actually never upgraded OS X on any of my Macs before, so this'll be my first time - yeah, somehow I kept managing to keep the versions around that came with them until it was time to replace the machine. Should I just install over Leopard or would you recommend a complete wipe before the upgrade? I bet it would do plenty of good by removing the odd files stuck in random corners on my harddrive.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#12 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:52 AM

View PostPegasus, on August 25th 2009, 02:34 AM, said:

Hm, I may just order it. I actually never upgraded OS X on any of my Macs before, so this'll be my first time - yeah, somehow I kept managing to keep the versions around that came with them until it was time to replace the machine. Should I just install over Leopard or would you recommend a complete wipe before the upgrade? I bet it would do plenty of good by removing the odd files stuck in random corners on my harddrive.

The $29 version will most likely not allow for a Clean install, just go with Archive & Install.

#13 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:35 AM

View PostHansi, on August 25th 2009, 08:52 AM, said:

The $29 version will most likely not allow for a Clean install, just go with Archive & Install.
No, the option to "Erase and Install" is still given (though now hidden in the Disk Utility). It's still possible that you have to have Leopard installed before you can do this - though this hasn't been confirmed yet.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#14 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:07 AM

Yeah Apple have "simplified" the install process to stop dullards from deleting all their stuff. Couldn't they have just popped up a warning?
Im doing a complete erase and install personally.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#15 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

By the way, Club-Mac and MacMall have pretty good deals on the upgrades for $25 single or $44 for the family pack:

http://www.clubmac.c...CFSNQagodHD3VoA

Free shipping if you can wait a couple days.

Or:

http://www.macmall.c...CFRwpawodvkiWnA

With $4.99 shipping on Fedex Overnight.

#16 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

Hmm. Considering my recent track record with 'upgrades' ... Im a bit leery. However this could be the answer to all the stupid problems I have using 10.5 (which I dont put up with on my other laptop running 10.4). Or, it could just be a whole new ball of problems haha. I guess for $30, its worth trying out to see if it is actually better. I certainly would pay $30 just to get the stupid sleep behavior fixed once and for all.

I've never used iLife/Work, so I don't really care if the $30 upgrade comes with it or not. Would be nice to finally try those out (maybe not).

Yeah, I would definitely do a wipe-install from scratch and NOT use any 'migration ass-in-the-pants' tool. Last time I did that from 10.4 to 10.5 it was a nightmare.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#17 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:10 PM

Awesome.... but I played Space Colony just this morning and don't want it to be the last time ever... will this really spell the end of all my PPC games?

#18 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:55 AM

View PostCobra, on August 26th 2009, 01:10 AM, said:

will this really spell the end of all my PPC games?

No; why would it?

--Eric

#19 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:03 AM

I had read that with the arrival of Snow Leopard Rosette was toast.
However doing some searching after making this post I did find a site that said Rosette will not be dropped, rather it will be optional during the Snow Leopard installation.

#20 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:09 AM

Also, its only a couple of megabytes in size, so will be downloaded as soon as you try and run a legacy PPC app.
I honestly don't know why Apple bothered not to keep it as a compulsory part of 10.6 considering its size.