Can you recommend personal favorite games?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:43 PM

View PostFelix Saturnus, on October 23rd 2009, 06:26 PM, said:

I tried Secret of Monkey Island for a few days and gave up - found it somewhat juvenile.

*gasp* Oh, no, you didn't! :P

Other games worthy a mention that I've picked up in the meantime:
Breakspin - A very cool new take on the old Breakout scene. Very surprising as it was made by Disney.
B.I.T.S - a fast-paced and energetic pinball game
Sway - get your schwing on! the swing mechanic took a bit getting used to. a blast to play
Wolfenstein RPG - quite humorous
Undercroft - Rakes in Grass's old-school turn-based RPG. pretty ace with an intuitive interface
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#22 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:12 AM

View PostPegasus, on October 23rd 2009, 11:43 PM, said:

Undercroft - Rakes in Grass's old-school turn-based RPG. pretty ace with an intuitive interface

I just picked up Undercroft a couple of days ago and am seriously diggin' it. Really makes me want DM & DM:CSB reworked for the iPhone.

#23 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:20 PM

im really digging uniwar.

#24 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

Finished Undercroft yesterday and really enjoyed it. Very long game for $4.99, my last save just before the game ends is at 40:30:23. Highly recommended.
End sets up for a sequel, which I hope shows up soon.

#25 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

Also liked Masyu by Tootsweet. Fun little puzzle/logic game.

#26 Coug-it

Coug-it

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

How much space do these various games take up?  I'm considering picking up a Touch (probably just for
email, some web browsing and reading journal articles through the local online university
library, and games) but I'm not sure which model is required (8, 32 or 64 gig).  Not really interested in
music downloads or spending almost $400 for this so the 8 (or 32) gig model would be nice if it's usable.

#27 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

View PostCoug-it, on November 29th 2009, 04:44 PM, said:

How much space do these various games take up?  I'm considering picking up a Touch (probably just for
email, some web browsing and reading journal articles through the local online university
library, and games) but I'm not sure which model is required (8, 32 or 64 gig).  Not really interested in
music downloads or spending almost $400 for this so the 8 (or 32) gig model would be nice if it's usable.

Very little, we're talking KBs up to several hundred MBs, the latter being rare.  Myst is the largest game I own, and it's just over 700 MB.  I've an 8 GB model, and it pretty much has met my needs.  Once in a while I'll bump into the limit, particularly when d/l'ing updates.  You can delete apps from your touch, and still have them in iTunes to reinstall when syncing.  Of course, any progress you made in a game would be lost.  When I do purchase a new touch, I'll get the 32 GB model.  No where near needing the 64 GB model.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#28 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:41 PM

View PostCoug-it, on November 29th 2009, 04:44 PM, said:

I'm not sure which model is required (8, 32 or 64 gig).

Either 32 or 64; the 8GB model is last-gen.  Since gaming is one of your reasons for buying, you don't want old tech.

--Eric

#29 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:08 AM

I have a iPod 2nd 8GB and it runs every game perfectly fine, unless there they are SPECIFICALLY 3GS optimized, of course.
and there are hundreds of excellent games for the 'old tech'.

and since the usual iPhone games comes in at 1 to 30 MB in size I have 10 pages of games and it´s not even half full.
some bigger games come in at 100 to 150MB and very few games have more than 300 MB.

so the smallest 2nd Generation iPod id the best bang for the buck, usuall about $150.
next Xmas is a better time to buy 3rd Gen iPod.

maybe next x-mas I get a new one, when there is a reasonable base installment of games that actually need the faster CPU.

and get Pandora Box or AppMiner. Great tools for finding all those bargain sales and free stuff in the AppStore!

my 2c and HO.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#30 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:12 AM

View Postmindnoise, on December 2nd 2009, 01:08 AM, said:

don´t know what you mean,

The 3rd gen has a much faster CPU and a very different (more advanced) GPU, not to mention 3-4X the usable RAM.  There aren't huge numbers of games that take advantage of these things at the moment, but they will only become more numerous over time, not less.  And aside from that, just the larger amount of RAM removes the "please reboot your device to clear out RAM before playing this game or else it has a tendency to quit" routine, which is worthwhile on its own (these things should have had 256MB to begin with).  Therefore there's not much point buying the previous gen model now.  Yes, I have a 8GB 2nd gen touch too.

--Eric

#31 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:53 AM

Eric,

oops you catched that. I was editing it out quickly because it sounded to offensive to me.

of course I know what you mean and did not intend to critisize you.

my apologies for any misunderstanding. :blush:

m.

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB

#32 Coug-it

Coug-it

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions; ended up getting the 64 Gb model for ~$330.00 + free shipping.  
I got kind of tired always buying lower end new Mac models so thought I'd start at the
top this time (plus the price was pretty good)...

#33 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

View PostCoug-it, on December 2nd 2009, 10:13 PM, said:

Thanks for the suggestions; ended up getting the 64 Gb model for ~$330.00 + free shipping.  
I got kind of tired always buying lower end new Mac models so thought I'd start at the
top this time (plus the price was pretty good)...

Happy Gaming, Coug-It!
:happy:

m.

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB

#34 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

I just got the latest iPod Touch, and have enjoyed the following games:

Dungeon Hunter -  If you want to play good old hak and slash, this game is amazing for the character customization, beautiful graphics, and fun playability. Computer game quality on the iPod.

N.O.V.A. - The HALO clone, it looks great, and has a decent story. The MP Deathmatch in the pocket is my favorite feature.

Skee Ball - the perfect time waster from the good folks at Freeverse.

Sudoku - there are several versions out there - I like the EA version best.

Cows in Space - a nice freebie that is perfect for a quick gaming fix in the middle of the day.

C and C Red Alert - I had to get this, and while I haven't played that much, it looks like a good version of a favorite game.

Rock Band - Works pretty nicely on the iPod. If you had someone to play with on a local level, it would be all the more fun. Ditto for Red Alert.

Sim City - I lost track of this game on the Mac after 2000, so I'm not sure which one it is based on, but it plays as well as any computer version I've ever played.

I've tried the demo of Civ Revolutions, and think I'll be getting that next. Pretty much all the traditional genres are well-represented on the iPod now. Amazing stuff.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#35 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:07 AM

I don't know about others, but I like games that really offer something new or just avant-garde these days as I've been bored for years by the gaming industry. Most of the games I love the most are slightly more on the artistic side. Here's my list of the best iPhone games according to myself.

GeoDefense - The best tower game on the iPhone, stupidly hard but requires cognitive abilities unlike most tower games. Each map has its own set of rules. Some maps certain towers are cheap, some maps, enemies come out in formations, some have rests between swarms, some are chaos. The fact each map is completely different means there isn't a single winning strategy. Each time you play a new map, its a new strategy to figure out. Also each tower has its place, meaning there's no certain tower that is the "Win" tower.

GeoDefense  Swarm - The sequel to the best Tower-D game on the iPhone, and quite a bit different and makes you really plan out your strategies. Its a tribute how a tired idea like Tower Defense can still be amazing.

Zen Bound - Still one of the premiere puzzle games, beautiful from the presentation down to the control. This is a game that couldn't exist on any other platform and it has a great soundtrack too.

Dungeon Chronicles - Part tower defense, part RPG, its stupidly addictive as you level up your hero tower which then levels up your other towers stats. The more you play, the higher difficulties you can eventually beat. I'm personally not into RPGs but its really one of the best games and frequently updated.

Alive 4 Ever - There's only several hours of gameplay here but those are some very solid hours of gameplay and even includes multiplayer for two times the zombie blasting fun.

Space Invaders: Infinity Gene - spastic space shooter that meshes retro art with game design. Its avant-garde nature makes it a real gem as the game play dynamic changes up frequently. Its a homage to itself but really flexes what a retro remake should be.

Spider: The Mystery of Bryce Manor - A beautiful adventure that doesn't outstay its welcome, you play the role of a spider wandering through a bug filled abandoned mansion meanwhile, you as the viewer are left to decipher clues that tell a story simply through the rooms themselves. Genuis

Textropolis/Fishtropolis - Both are essentially the same game; a super leisurely "find the word" game that has no time limits, no guess limits, in fact no way to lose. Its sounds almost so simple that it might be passé but its quite addicting.

Canabalt - The most epic single button game ever. The game bleeds style with blaring soundtrack and choas as a the main character leaps between buildings, cranes and offices while avoiding explosives, bombs, and crumbling buildings.

Stair Dismount - yep, its the same game your remember from years ago. Just shove the guy down the stairs and rack up points for injuries. Its great for short bursts.

Tiger Woods - I found I was the destroyer of worlds at this game. While there's nothing new about golf gaming, the swing mechanism made the game rather enjoyable as it gave you a sense of control. I found that upgrading my putting ability right off the bat without any regard to other abilities was the smartest thing ever. I was playing a season but lost interesting after maxing my character out and beating opponents by ridiculous scores of being -10 strokes ahead. Still a really fun outing on the iPhone and I got my money's worth.

The incredible part is all these games probably total from under $35.
the IMG audio guy...

#36 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:43 AM

Some rather recent favourites of mine:

Doom Resurrection – looks good, plays good and has more of a plot than the original Doom 3.

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. – I have never played the Xbox 360/PS3/PC version of that game, but the iPhone version seems to be a very good and complete port. It has some performance issues on my iPhone 2G, but it's far from the disaster that the similar Ace Combat iX is.

Sword of Fargoal – Best Rogue-like on the iPhone there is. Period.

Implode – very fun, very stylish (I like for instance that the explosions consist of little chalked symbols). It's just too short, but luckily the developer constantly delivers more levels with each update.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#37 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:26 PM

I've just culled my iPhone and iPod touch pages down to 3 each.  I feel liberated.  Right now, the only iPhone/touch game I'm looking forward to is Warpgate by Freeverse.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#38 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:46 AM

I'll bite.
Goals! Pro. It's $1! But it's a simple little arcade soccer game. It's not very deep compared to FIFA (not that I've played it) since you can only edit the team and and jersey colour.
The Cooking Mama demo is pretty fun so I might end up picking that, as is the Time Crisis demo...
Still on the fence about Tiger Woods though...
Mac Mini- 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
5GB RAM, 500GB HD + 250GB and 160GB External HDs

Rev.B-Macbook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
1GB RAM. 60GB HD

2nd Gen 8GB iPod Touch + OS 3.1

#39 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:30 AM

I recently played I Dig It Expeditions like there was now tomorrow.

totally recommened!

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB

#40 richmlow

richmlow

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

Here are some iPhone games which I enjoy. In no particular order:

Chess with Friends
Words with Friends
Dropship
Crayon Physics Deluxe
Vector Tanks
Vans SK8 Pool Service
Archon
Hive
Resident Evil 4: Mobile Edition
Space Invaders: Infinity Gene
N.O.V.A.
Implode!
Need for Speed: Undercover
Sentinel 2

richmlow
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
12 GB RAM
AMD FirePro D300 (Dual GPU, 2048MB VRAM each)
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3