Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:26 AM

View PostRanger_Joe, on November 18th 2009, 12:13 AM, said:

It would be nice if VP would give us a release date,
They rarely do. But considering the time they took to port other Paradox games, I would guess it will be released early next year.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#22 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

In the interest of shamelessly reviving an old thread, anyone around here playing this game or the rest of the series?

As I posted in the ...playing these days? thread, I have recently started playing HoI again. This was after a nearly four year break from it. I found its learning difficulty more of a wall than a curve, to borrow someone's phrase and its complexity together made me too overwhelmed to properly try it out...apart from a recurring bug I could not seem to fix gave me a perfect excuse to stop playing it.
I came back to it when there were no other installed games that I was interested in playing. Shortly after recommencing play I bought the three expansions and a friend bought the game (the collectors edition of nearly all the DLC) too.

Anyway, I have already sunk about double the hours (40 hours since) I had back in 2010, and I am loving it. Still rather terrifying and hugely overwhelming and crazily complex. However the difficulty wall was been partially scaled. I now have a basic grasp on all of the different tabs and mostly understand the chain of command. I am still coming to grips with a lot of it, like the military leader traits, how they trickle down to each unit, stacking penalties, air, land and naval combat references and of course how supply works. This is of course not to mention force composition or even orders of battle.

What about everyone else, any great stories?

Also, I am now very interested in some time getting into another Paradox game? What would you guys suggest to start playing next?

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#23 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:24 AM

I'm more an HOI2 guy. The paradox games are beasts, but I love them. With HOI3, it didn't run smoothly on my old iMac. And, mechanisms like ToW just felt like one more thing to try and remember not to screw up. I should sit down with it again, now that I have a machine that can play it.  

To me, Crusader Kings 2 is the top Paradox game right now. Love it. I really get immersed in it and love the time period. I've not spent any real time with EU4 yet.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#24 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

HOI3 is my favorite type of game to play. I originally tried playing Japanese, but that was very short lived as I found out how the whole naval warfare system and thus Pacific theatre is foobar in it.

So then just playing Europe has been interesting and I play it every so often.

I bought EU4, but have not played it yet.

Impatiently waiting for HOI4!

#25 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

Hey Dojoboy,

What's Civ like? All this talk and playing of strategy games, has made me more interested in all RTSes now...I have started playing CnC Zero Hour again (with a friend) and I have heard over the years that Civ is a pretty good franchise.
What do people think?

Lib.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#26 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on 04 May 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

What's Civ like?

Civ or CK2?

Civ is a TBS, not RTS. Forgive me if you're aware, just wondering if you meant CK2.

Civ, by far, is my favorite series of all time. Even thought the Paradox titles offer a pause feature, I still feel the stress associated with real-time. Sometimes, setting up the start of a Paradox title is a lesson in history. I love that. Civ5 (+ BNW exp.) allows me to really enjoy thinking through the short and long term strategies. The latest iteration is much more balanced than ever before, meaning builders feel more in their element, rather than just being a warmonger the entire game. Wars happen, but it's now possible to really plan out a builder victory, avoiding war. I find that much more rewarding, mentally. Great game. I have high hopes for the recently announced Civilization: Beyond Earth.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#27 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:14 PM

I do not really know much at all about the Civ franchise as a whole really, I just heard it is really good. ;)

I might have to look more into CK2 then...also what is this ToW mechanic you speak of? I am not really with most of the HoI or even Paradox lingo .

Hey Spike, why is HoI III's naval warfare system foobar?

Lib.

#28 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

I am sure its really my too high expectations of wanting a simulation instead of some game thats in a war theme which the games are. I am not saying that trying to play the pacific theatre is not playable, just its not realistic or authentic at all to me (there is no game that is a simulation, only arcade games in a war theme).

#29 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:19 AM

View PostSpike, on 05 May 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

I am sure its really my too high expectations of wanting a simulation instead of some game thats in a war theme which the games are. I am not saying that trying to play the pacific theatre is not playable, just its not realistic or authentic at all to me (there is no game that is a simulation, only arcade games in a war theme).
That is a fair point, and I know what you mean.

Lib.