#1 Kalki

Kalki

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:03 AM

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro Penryn 2.4 Ghz, with a nvidia 8600m GT, under windows, do you have also this problem ?

(enable HQ !)

tearings effect...vsync solve the problem but games is then too laggy, and I'm unable to enable vsync under the windows desktop.

Same problem with :

windows xp 32 bit
windows visat 64 bit
windows 7 64
Mac OS X 10.5.7

My nvidia chip was checked by an engineer and is not a faulty one.
Same problem with Bootcamp drivers, nvidia last drivers, Rivaturner drivers etc...

Performance seems OK (8800 pts at Direct 3D 2005 Benchmark)
Temperature (60C normal use, to 85 when playing)

Best regards,

Kalki

#2 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:14 AM

Unfortunately you're just going to have to live with it or the slight decrease in performance from VSync.

to clarify a few points, do you get tearing in the finder and in non-gaming situations with OS X? also, is the copy of Doom 3 you're running in OSX or Windows?

If you're running D3 in OSX, I dont believe there is a fix for you.

I dont get any tearing in OSX on the desktop, but there might be a little bit of tearing in windows 7 64-bit (not entire sure). I believe that in windows you should be able to turn on VSync for the OS using NVidia's driver tools (i forget what they're called). I would also check to see that the screen is being detected properly, and the refresh rate (if available to change) is set to 60Hz.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#3 Kalki

Kalki

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:31 AM

View Postteflon, on June 30th 2009, 07:14 AM, said:

Unfortunately you're just going to have to live with it or the slight decrease in performance from VSync.

to clarify a few points, do you get tearing in the finder and in non-gaming situations with OS X? also, is the copy of Doom 3 you're running in OSX or Windows?

If you're running D3 in OSX, I dont believe there is a fix for you.

I dont get any tearing in OSX on the desktop, but there might be a little bit of tearing in windows 7 64-bit (not entire sure). I believe that in windows you should be able to turn on VSync for the OS using NVidia's driver tools (i forget what they're called). I would also check to see that the screen is being detected properly, and the refresh rate (if available to change) is set to 60Hz.

Under Mac OS X, all flash using applications (flash website, flash applications) are affected by tearing. Finder is fine.

The video is with DOOM 3 PC DEMO and it's the SAME with doom 3 MAC DEMO.
Strong tearings effect are the same with UT2004 in D3D mod (Windows) and UT2004 in OPEN GL mode (MAC).

Screen is detected properply, also tried with a external screen and different refresh rates.

What I don't undestand, is why on my PC (dual Geforce 9800 GTX) and my iMac (Radeon 2400) there is not a such tearing. So it's my Macbook Pro itself or all Macbook Pro's ?

#4 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:12 AM

The screen tearing is a lack of Vsync.  It'll give you better / smoother performance because in your gaming experience, but the tearing becomes an issue.  A good number of console games I've experience have screen tearing as well.  Vsync caps your maximum framerate, but it also makes for a much smoother graphical experience.  

Usually the higher the framerate you can achieve in a game, the less the shearing becomes noticeable, but outside of Vsync there's no solution.  

I've played Doom 3 in OS X and it has tearing, and I don't recall that the vsync setting actually worked (likely a lack of driver support).  

I will customize game settings until I get smooth vsync'd performance, even if I'm running below native resolution . . .   Even in high-end games like Crysis.  The screen tearing is far too distracting for me.  It's less of a problem in a 3rd person game as the camera can't move as fast, but in a first person it presents a pretty noticeable problem.

#5 Kalki

Kalki

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

Okay, so I will have to live with vsync, but I'm happy that it's not a hardware problem !