Jump to content


Digital Download of Call of Duty Deluxe Edition Gets Intel Update


  • Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 Markovich

Markovich

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

To change the subject :)

I downloaded the game yesterday and replaced my existing COD and COD UO files ( both the App and the support files). Now, I cannot play Multiplayer. Every time I try to join a server, it stalls at any downloads. Yes, I do have Downloads enabled in the Multiplayer options.MY key is correct and PB is active and updated.

Any ideas?
2.8GHZ 24" iMac with 4gb RAM, 512MB,NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS
13" MacBook
Obsession 15" telescope
Kernel Panic on COD-UO MP

#22 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

    Awesome Developer Dude Guy

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Location:Glendale, AZ
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:11 PM

View PostMarkovich, on June 27th 2009, 11:52 AM, said:

I downloaded the game yesterday and replaced my existing COD and COD UO files ( both the App and the support files). Now, I cannot play Multiplayer. Every time I try to join a server, it stalls at any downloads. Yes, I do have Downloads enabled in the Multiplayer options.MY key is correct and PB is active and updated.

In my tests here, I am able to join servers and have mod packs auto-download. Note also that these universal builds of Call of Duty have new PunkBuster libraries that are Intel-native. Be sure that you don't accidentally replace those with older versions, or you will fail to join games that require PunkBuster. I don't believe there are any updates being pushed out for PunkBuster for these new Intel-native Call of Duty apps, so if you updated PB and the libraries actually got replaced, that could be an issue.

Bear in mind the game is a few years old and I don't know if it's smart enough to do complicated NAT traversal, so some servers may require you to open ports or require you to use a DMZ setting in your router in order to download from them successfully.

That said, if you have a server you know that fails consistently and reliably to auto-download, post the name here and we can try it. Also note if the server is for vanilla Call of Duty or United Offensive.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#23 rampancy

rampancy

    Notorious

  • IMG Writers
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:42 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on June 26th 2009, 11:37 PM, said:

Relax, the DRM system might not be perfect but does one of the few companies with enough bawls to make mac games really deserve this much hate? And I'm pretty sure Brad isn't the guy doing the DRM so maybe don't point so much of your attack against him

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I don't "hate" Aspyr for the DRM system they use; I gladly bought a boxed copy of CoD4 and I'll likely buy more games in the future from Aspyr that interest me. From the legalese above, it looks like it's one of the features of the company providing the eCommerce service Aspyr uses, as opposed to something that Aspyr designed on purpose (as opposed to EA and their Draconian DRM systems).

I don't mind DRM *that* much, and I understand the need for companies to use it, given how rampant piracy is nowadays. My only request is that it *not* get in my way when I need to do things like reinstall the OS or upgrade to another computer, or at the very least, there be a way for legitimate customers to deal with what happens when the activation limit gets hit. As DaveyJJ pointed out PopCap will help you, and I know that Koingo (an Indie Mac developer which uses activations) provides a roundabout way to deal with that. Greenhouse as I said before is also very friendly with respect to activations. With the DRM scheme that's used with Aspyr's digital downloads, that doesn't seem to be the case at all. If you run out of activations, you're totally SOL and they can't help you.

And mind you, I'd be just as critical if it were MacSoft, Feral, ID, or even some of the indie houses using it. In fact, if EA is publishing Rage with their usual DRM tomfoolery, I'd likely skip out on it.
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#24 Markovich

Markovich

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

View PostBrad Oliver, on June 28th 2009, 05:11 PM, said:

In my tests here, I am able to join servers and have mod packs auto-download. Note also that these universal builds of Call of Duty have new PunkBuster libraries that are Intel-native. Be sure that you don't accidentally replace those with older versions, or you will fail to join games that require PunkBuster. I don't believe there are any updates being pushed out for PunkBuster for these new Intel-native Call of Duty apps, so if you updated PB and the libraries actually got replaced, that could be an issue.

Bear in mind the game is a few years old and I don't know if it's smart enough to do complicated NAT traversal, so some servers may require you to open ports or require you to use a DMZ setting in your router in order to download from them successfully.

That said, if you have a server you know that fails consistently and reliably to auto-download, post the name here and we can try it. Also note if the server is for vanilla Call of Duty or United Offensive.



Thanks Brad, I'll check it out after work. I used Apple's Time Machine and reverted back to my previous COD ( UO) install which worked fine. Almost all servers were failing. The ones that did work kicked me off after a minute due to a PB initialization error, or lack of a "packet stream".

Thanks Brad, I appreciate all that you have done!
2.8GHZ 24" iMac with 4gb RAM, 512MB,NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS
13" MacBook
Obsession 15" telescope
Kernel Panic on COD-UO MP

#25 tthiel

tthiel

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Location:Phoenix, Az

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:37 PM

So is the retail patch done yet?   :lol:

I live in Phoenix and could take a quick trip to Glendale.....


View PostBrad Oliver, on June 27th 2009, 11:07 AM, said:

Yes, the reason I suggest voicing your complaints to the feedback e-mail is so it definitely gets seen by someone at Aspyr other than me. That said, I know other Aspyr employees watch the forums (at least on occasion) because I sometimes hear about it when I misspeak. :)
For the record, I'm not taking any of this personally either. I understand where the frustration is coming from, as I'm sure that everyone here knows my day job is a programmer at Aspyr. ;)


#26 Markovich

Markovich

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:38 PM

View PostMarkovich, on June 29th 2009, 02:21 PM, said:

Thanks Brad, I'll check it out after work. I used Apple's Time Machine and reverted back to my previous COD ( UO) install which worked fine. Almost all servers were failing. The ones that did work kicked me off after a minute due to a PB initialization error, or lack of a "packet stream".

Thanks Brad, I appreciate all that you have done!


Brad had a chance to do clean out the old COD files and do a fresh install.  No dice. I still cannot do MultiPlayer. Once you select a server ( in this instance, =[BAD]= Sniper Final
Game Type: Call of Duty United Offensive   Status: Alive
IP Address: 64.34.173.4    Port: 28960    Query Port: 28960

The screen changes to access the server and then tries to upload mods/files and just hangs, no response.  I made sure that Allow Downloads is enabled as is PB. Attempting to run the PB updater application from Evenbalance, it fails , stating that I do not have permission to modify the PB files. I did a Get Info on those files and they are Read Only to me and all users. Changing that to Read/Write allowed me to update the PB files. Still no luck getting online though.

Thanks!
2.8GHZ 24" iMac with 4gb RAM, 512MB,NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS
13" MacBook
Obsession 15" telescope
Kernel Panic on COD-UO MP

#27 iomatic

iomatic

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:51 PM

Looking good, thanks for the update.

Some settings are of course gone (punkbuster namely). So I'm getting kicked (even after manual update). Sigh.

It also doesn't seem to remember leaving PB on after quit?

Thanks.

#28 tthiel

tthiel

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Location:Phoenix, Az

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:54 PM

What is the status of the retail patch release?

#29 iomatic

iomatic

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

View Postiomatic, on July 15th 2009, 03:51 PM, said:

Looking good, thanks for the update.

Some settings are of course gone (punkbuster namely). So I'm getting kicked (even after manual update). Sigh.

It also doesn't seem to remember leaving PB on after quit?

Thanks.

constantly being kicked for No Packet Flow


Trying to dump the ~/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/ folder....

Relaunch, and the PB agreement I never saw before shows up. mmkay.


My only question is how do I activate the single player ones (the serials I got from Game Agent are invalid according to the registration screen???)?

Map downloads are also not working; trying to manually download them doesn't work as the files get decompressed and not 'seen' by the CoD application

... arrrrghhhhh

Thanks.

#30 iomatic

iomatic

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

View Postiomatic, on July 15th 2009, 05:10 PM, said:

constantly being kicked for No Packet Flow


Trying to dump the ~/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/ folder....

Relaunch, and the PB agreement I never saw before shows up. mmkay.
My only question is how do I activate the single player ones (the serials I got from Game Agent are invalid according to the registration screen???)?

Map downloads are also not working; trying to manually download them doesn't work as the files get decompressed and not 'seen' by the CoD application

... arrrrghhhhh

Thanks.

I keep getting punkbuster kicks. Any reason why? Dumped old App. Support folders and the app. itself, started from scratch, and PB kicks all around. Also, won't auto-download (everything is set to autodownload).

Tried auto updating the "old" cod folder and using those PB files. No good.

No packet flow.

Help!

What's up?

#31 iomatic

iomatic

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:21 PM

View PostMarkovich, on June 30th 2009, 07:38 PM, said:

Brad had a chance to do clean out the old COD files and do a fresh install.  No dice. I still cannot do MultiPlayer. Once you select a server ( in this instance, =[BAD]= Sniper Final
Game Type: Call of Duty United Offensive   Status: Alive
IP Address: 64.34.173.4    Port: 28960    Query Port: 28960

The screen changes to access the server and then tries to upload mods/files and just hangs, no response.  I made sure that Allow Downloads is enabled as is PB. Attempting to run the PB updater application from Evenbalance, it fails , stating that I do not have permission to modify the PB files. I did a Get Info on those files and they are Read Only to me and all users. Changing that to Read/Write allowed me to update the PB files. Still no luck getting online though.

Thanks!


Same problem; no downloading, and pb kicks. Austin Servers.

#32 iomatic

iomatic

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:33 AM

View Postiomatic, on July 17th 2009, 12:21 PM, said:

Same problem; no downloading, and pb kicks. Austin Servers.

Here are the *exact* symptoms, but obviously I can't patch this version.
http://www.punksbust...?showtopic=6024

HELP!
:bleedingeyes:

#33 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

    All hail Bastet

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:59 PM

In full version of Call of Duty 2 is the "FS_HandleForFiles:none free" error fixed? It keeps crashing the demo for me playing on Raven.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi


"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau


#34 iomatic

iomatic

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on July 18th 2009, 05:59 PM, said:

In full version of Call of Duty 2 is the "FS_HandleForFiles:none free" error fixed? It keeps crashing the demo for me playing on Raven.

Wrong game, sorry.

#35 Amon CMB

Amon CMB

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

What's holding up the retail patch?  Been nearly a month now....

#36 Homy

Homy

    Notorious

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Location:Sweden

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:37 AM

View PostAmon CMB, on July 25th 2009, 06:24 AM, said:

What's holding up the retail patch?  Been nearly a month now....
Vacation? Give us the patch..pleeease!:)

#37 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

    Awesome Developer Dude Guy

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Location:Glendale, AZ
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:53 AM

View Posttthiel, on July 15th 2009, 03:54 PM, said:

What is the status of the retail patch release?

There was a problem with it not updating a few United Offensive files, which caused some issues. A new patch was resubmitted to our QA this past week. It should finally kick out next week some time.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#38 Homy

Homy

    Notorious

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Location:Sweden

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the update!

#39 teflon

teflon

    Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:55 AM

Getting a bit ahead of ourselves aren't we?
The Update isn't even out yet!
:P





sorry.. couldn't resist. Good news though.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#40 Homy

Homy

    Notorious

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Location:Sweden

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:03 PM

View Postteflon, on July 25th 2009, 07:55 PM, said:

Getting a bit ahead of ourselves aren't we?
The Update isn't even out yet!
:P
sorry.. couldn't resist. Good news though.
:thumbsup: