Jump to content


Digital Download of Call of Duty Deluxe Edition Gets Intel Update


  • Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 tthiel

tthiel

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Location:Phoenix, Az

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:17 PM

Sounds like current owners will either have to pay all over again, which is probably what Aspyr would like, or wait for the patch which will be released  "soon".

Digital Download of Call of Duty Deluxe Edition Gets Intel Update
http://www.macobserv...s_intel_update/

Aspyr Media on Thursday released an Intel version of Call of Duty Deluxe Edition, which includes the original game and its United Offensive expansion pack, on the GameAgent digital download web site. The World War II-based first-person shooter features 37 missions that take players through the D-Day invasion, the Battle of Stalingrad, the Battle of the Bulge, and other major conflicts.

Call of Duty also offers online team-based multiplayer action with a wide variety of maps and game modes, as well as the ability to drive tanks and jeeps and fly bombers. United Offensive adds 11 multiplayer maps.

This is the third Mac title to be released at GameAgent, which also offers Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and futureU: The Prep Game for SAT as digital downloads. Aspyr said it will add more new games throughout 2009 and noted that a Universal Binary patch for the retail version of Call of Duty Deluxe is in development and will be released soon.

Call of Duty Deluxe Edition sells for US$29.99 and requires Mac OS X version 10.4.11 or 10.5.7, a 1.6GHz G5 or Intel processor, 256MB RAM, 64MB video RAM, and 2.5GB free hard drive space. A 2GHz processor, 1GB RAM, and 128MB video RAM are recommended. Intel integrated video chipsets are not supported.

#2 Sargiel

Sargiel

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Location:West Sussex, England

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:49 AM

My take is it's good to see classic games being updated and re-released. Unfortunately it's not available in the UK unless GameAgent has been improved.

Also we know the patch is coming (much like the NWN2 patch :D ) but it can't be long now as it's already effectively here.

#3 rampancy

rampancy

    Notorious

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:38 AM

I wouldn't have *that* much of a problem with the game being made available for repurchase, if it weren't for their really annoying DRM. It's rather silly that you can't de-authorize a machine and take your activation to a new one if you're upgrading your hardware.
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#4 tthiel

tthiel

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Location:Phoenix, Az

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:07 AM

So the Call of Duty 4 digital download I purchased cannot be moved to another Mac?

View Postrampancy, on June 26th 2009, 07:38 AM, said:

I wouldn't have *that* much of a problem with the game being made available for repurchase, if it weren't for their really annoying DRM. It's rather silly that you can't de-authorize a machine and take your activation to a new one if you're upgrading your hardware.


#5 tthiel

tthiel

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Location:Phoenix, Az

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:14 AM

The below policy tells me never to buy a digital download from Aspyr again.  This kind of restrictive policy for legal owners encourages people to get their software in other ways that Aspyr won't like.

How many licenses or activations do I get?
The Digital Rights Management (DRM) for all games purchased through GameAgent.com allows for a game to be licensed to 2 computers. Also, for the game purchased, you will be given 10 activations.

Can I switch to a new machine and still have my games?
With all standard orders, installs are permitted on 2 machines, with 10 activations available between those 2 machines. Unfortunately, you cannot deauthorize a machine once the game has been activated and move it to another machine.
However, the optional Extended Download Service allows for multiple downloads of the game you've purchased. EDS essentially allows you to download your purchase again for up to two (2) years, in the event your computer crashes or the downloaded file becomes damaged or corrupt. It can be thought of as an insurance policy in case anything goes wrong with your computer or the downloaded product. When you have downloadable items in your order, you will see a link to add EDS to your order on the shopping cart page or the checkout page. Upon payment of the specified fee, Digital River, Inc. ("DR") agrees to provide you (the "End User") a service that enables the End User to make multiple downloads of digital computer software products (a "Product" or "Products") purchased in a single order (an "Order") and downloaded from this Web site (the "Site") for a period of two (2) years after the date the End User purchases the Product (the "Service").
To purchase EDS for download products in a completed order, you must look up your order and complete an additional purchase.

#6 bobbob

bobbob

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

View Posttthiel, on June 26th 2009, 09:14 AM, said:

Unfortunately, you cannot deauthorize a machine once the game has been activated and move it to another machine.
Unfortunately, we will not be buying from them. Aspyr sure knows how to pick 'em.

Quote

It can be thought of as an insurance policy in case anything goes wrong with your computer
Well, not anything since they're incompetent liars who just explained what it 'unfortunately' does not insure against.

#7 mattw

mattw

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:19 PM

View Posttthiel, on June 26th 2009, 05:14 PM, said:

The below policy tells me never to buy a digital download from Aspyr again.  This kind of restrictive policy for legal owners encourages people to get their software in other ways that Aspyr won't like.

How many licenses or activations do I get?
The Digital Rights Management (DRM) for all games purchased through GameAgent.com allows for a game to be licensed to 2 computers. Also, for the game purchased, you will be given 10 activations.

Can I switch to a new machine and still have my games?
With all standard orders, installs are permitted on 2 machines, with 10 activations available between those 2 machines. Unfortunately, you cannot deauthorize a machine once the game has been activated and move it to another machine.
However, the optional Extended Download Service allows for multiple downloads of the game you've purchased. EDS essentially allows you to download your purchase again for up to two (2) years, in the event your computer crashes or the downloaded file becomes damaged or corrupt. It can be thought of as an insurance policy in case anything goes wrong with your computer or the downloaded product. When you have downloadable items in your order, you will see a link to add EDS to your order on the shopping cart page or the checkout page. Upon payment of the specified fee, Digital River, Inc. ("DR") agrees to provide you (the "End User") a service that enables the End User to make multiple downloads of digital computer software products (a "Product" or "Products") purchased in a single order (an "Order") and downloaded from this Web site (the "Site") for a period of two (2) years after the date the End User purchases the Product (the "Service").
To purchase EDS for download products in a completed order, you must look up your order and complete an additional purchase.

I sure hope physical media stick around - I have games currently installed that I have used with 4 different Macs as I have upgraded and 6 or 7 operating system versions.

I don't want to rent my games which is what this is. It is bad enough when stuff breaks with OS upgrades without it being rendered useless with DRM.

#8 rampancy

rampancy

    Notorious

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

View Postbobbob, on June 26th 2009, 04:17 PM, said:

Unfortunately, we will not be buying from them. Aspyr sure knows how to pick 'em.

It really is a shame - though not surprising since we first saw this with the Digital Download release of Call of Duty 4 from Aspyr. It's about as worse as PopCap's activation, which gives only five activations, period.

Apart from corporate asshatedness, I don't know why the activations aren't transferrable. Greenhouse's activations are transferrable - in fact, even more than that, you can activate on up to three machines of your own, as many times as you like. It's still crappy DRM, but at least I can live with those terms.

What really irks me is that EDS service. I'm paying to have the right to redownload a game I already bought. That's patently ridiculous.

In the end, it makes me all the more grateful for CrossOver Games and GOG.com.
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#9 tthiel

tthiel

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Location:Phoenix, Az

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:53 PM

To add insult to injury Aspyr saves money with digital downloads yet they see it as an opportunity to gouge their customers for even more.  I'll use Crossover or Boot Camp before I ever buy another Aspyr product.  Virtualization software is also starting to add Direct 3D and other features to play games.  It just pisses me off how they withhold this COD patch from their existing customers in an obvious attempt to get them to pay for the game twice.  I would even pay $10 or so for a UB version of the game but not $30.  I have the PC version of COD 4 as well and Illl just play that in boot camp from now on.  It will probably run better anyway.


View Postrampancy, on June 26th 2009, 12:38 PM, said:

It really is a shame - though not surprising since we first saw this with the Digital Download release of Call of Duty 4 from Aspyr. It's about as worse as PopCap's activation, which gives only five activations, period.

Apart from corporate asshatedness, I don't know why the activations aren't transferrable. Greenhouse's activations are transferrable - in fact, even more than that, you can activate on up to three machines of your own, as many times as you like. It's still crappy DRM, but at least I can live with those terms.

What really irks me is that EDS service. I'm paying to have the right to redownload a game I already bought. That's patently ridiculous.

In the end, it makes me all the more grateful for CrossOver Games and GOG.com.


#10 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

    Awesome Developer Dude Guy

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1691 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Location:Glendale, AZ
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:47 PM

View Posttthiel, on June 26th 2009, 12:53 PM, said:

It just pisses me off how they withhold this COD patch from their existing customers in an obvious attempt to get them to pay for the game twice.

It's not being withheld so much as the DRM version build was finished and passed through QA first. The retail patch is coming very shortly.

Given that the game is now 4 years old, I hope you can wait a few extra days. ;)

View Postbobbob, on June 26th 2009, 12:17 PM, said:

Well, not anything since they're incompetent liars who just explained what it 'unfortunately' does not insure against.

Can you point  the lie out to me?
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#11 tthiel

tthiel

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Location:Phoenix, Az

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

A few days is the first information we have gotten other than "soon".


View PostBrad Oliver, on June 26th 2009, 04:44 PM, said:

It's not being withheld so much as the DRM version build was finished and passed through QA first. The retail patch is coming very shortly.

Given that the game is now 4 years old, I hope you can wait a few extra days. ;)


#12 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

    Awesome Developer Dude Guy

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1691 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Location:Glendale, AZ
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

View Posttthiel, on June 26th 2009, 04:48 PM, said:

A few days is the first information we have gotten other than "soon".

Don't flog me - it could be a whole week! ;)

The key difference that made the DRM full release easier to do first is that it was...a full release. :)

The UB patch installer is slightly more complex: it is a comprehensive updater for all 4 apps (CoD and United Offensive, SP and MP for each) to replace the 1.5/1.51c updater. We're using a new updater mechanism for it because the one we used for the older 1.5/1.51c patch was Java-based and as some of you might know stopped working around 10.4.4 with an update to OS X's Java runtime. So if all you want is the UB update, just wait.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#13 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

    All hail Bastet

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3834 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:44 PM

View Postrampancy, on June 26th 2009, 03:38 PM, said:

It's about as worse as PopCap's activation, which gives only five activations, period.

An email to PopCap gets things reset in less than 30 minutes. That's been my experience with them. I like PopCap.
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi


"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#14 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

    Awesome Developer Dude Guy

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1691 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Location:Glendale, AZ
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:43 PM

View Postrampancy, on June 26th 2009, 12:38 PM, said:

It really is a shame - though not surprising since we first saw this with the Digital Download release of Call of Duty 4 from Aspyr. It's about as worse as PopCap's activation, which gives only five activations, period.

I'd like to also suggest that anyone with a strong opinion about Aspyr's DRM contact us directly as well: feedback@aspyr.com
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#15 bobbob

bobbob

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:03 PM

View PostBrad Oliver, on June 26th 2009, 04:47 PM, said:

Can you point  the lie out to me?
It insures against anything happening to the computer, except something catastrophic that requires it to be replaced and thus use an extra activation that you 'unfortunately' won't allow the people who sign up for it. Unfortunately? If it's really so unfortunate then why the hell are you even doing it? Unfortunately you just want to be unusually cruel to your paying customers? Unfortunately you don't want to compete with similar, but noticeably better services?

If this is a misreading, then you should talk to DR about their horrible legalese so that customers like me don't get the wrong idea and think it's just that much worse than it already looks. Your activation system and 'download insurance' are so much worse than the dime-a-dozen fly-by-night store-front look and the boilerplate legalese it contains, though, but, maybe, a move to Greenhouse or something would give you an excuse to do it differently?

#16 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2697 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:37 PM

View Postbobbob, on June 26th 2009, 10:03 PM, said:

It insures against anything happening to the computer, except something catastrophic that requires it to be replaced and thus use an extra activation that you 'unfortunately' won't allow the people who sign up for it. Unfortunately? If it's really so unfortunate then why the hell are you even doing it? Unfortunately you just want to be unusually cruel to your paying customers? Unfortunately you don't want to compete with similar, but noticeably better services?

If this is a misreading, then you should talk to DR about their horrible legalese so that customers like me don't get the wrong idea and think it's just that much worse than it already looks. Your activation system and 'download insurance' are so much worse than the dime-a-dozen fly-by-night store-front look and the boilerplate legalese it contains, though, but, maybe, a move to Greenhouse or something would give you an excuse to do it differently?

Relax, the DRM system might not be perfect but does one of the few companies with enough bawls to make mac games really deserve this much hate? And I'm pretty sure Brad isn't the guy doing the DRM so maybe don't point so much of your attack against him
- Snake

Tulkas - 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 16 GB RAM || ATi 4870  ||  512 GB Crucial M500 + 2 TB WD Black || OS X Mavericks
Odinheim - Core i3 4150 @ 3.5 GHz || 16 GB RAM || GTX 760  || 120 GB Vertex 4 + 1 TB Seagate SSHD || Win 7 Pro x64

#17 tthiel

tthiel

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Location:Phoenix, Az

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

If you disagree with what people are saying about DRM then reply about the points they are making not some nebulous statement like that.
Are you under the impression that Aspyr is in business to do anything but make a profit?  Do we owe them something?  Are we supposed to be grateful for whatever they sell us?  B
Aspyr's DRM, digital downloads, activation policies, and charging an extra fee on top of the game to continue to activate are distinctly customer unfriendly.  You don't need to do that if you buy the DVD.  If they were smart they would know it is in their best interest to listen to customer complaints and change how they do things.

As to Brad I am certainly not under the impression that he makes these decisions.  

View PostSneaky Snake, on June 26th 2009, 07:37 PM, said:

Relax, the DRM system might not be perfect but does one of the few companies with enough bawls to make mac games really deserve this much hate?


#18 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2697 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:54 AM

View Posttthiel, on June 26th 2009, 10:49 PM, said:

If you disagree with what people are saying about DRM then reply about the points they are making not some nebulous statement like that.
Are you under the impression that Aspyr is in business to do anything but make a profit?  Do we owe them something?  Are we supposed to be grateful for whatever they sell us?

I can't agree or disagree with what people are saying about the DRM because I don't really have any experience with it. However, I, for one, am grateful for what Aspyr sells us. Its not like there is a lot of mac developers in the world. Without Aspyr and Feral we would be down to little arcade flicks for mac gaming, and the occasional release every few years from MacSoft.

As far as I know Brad is the only person from Aspyr who watches these forums. While I'm sure that he will talk to someone about your disgust with the DRM he's only one guy. He suggested that you give feedback directly to Aspyr, which I think you should do. He knows your upset, so there's no need to keep driving that home in this thread
- Snake

Tulkas - 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 16 GB RAM || ATi 4870  ||  512 GB Crucial M500 + 2 TB WD Black || OS X Mavericks
Odinheim - Core i3 4150 @ 3.5 GHz || 16 GB RAM || GTX 760  || 120 GB Vertex 4 + 1 TB Seagate SSHD || Win 7 Pro x64

#19 bobbob

bobbob

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:28 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on June 26th 2009, 07:37 PM, said:

Relax
I'm relaxed. I'm not buying anything off GameAgent, but I'm relaxed.

Quote

the DRM system might not be perfect but does one of the few companies with enough bawls to make mac games really deserve this much hate?
It's not hate, and it's easily fixed. When they want sales they can fix it.

Quote

And I'm pretty sure Brad isn't the guy doing the DRM so maybe don't point so much of your attack against him
Not him personally, but Aspyr is responsible for choosing DR against all the evidence that they suck, as well as choosing to enforce certain rules that make their decision alone deserve some blame.

#20 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

    Awesome Developer Dude Guy

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1691 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Location:Glendale, AZ
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:07 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on June 27th 2009, 05:54 AM, said:

As far as I know Brad is the only person from Aspyr who watches these forums. While I'm sure that he will talk to someone about your disgust with the DRM he's only one guy. He suggested that you give feedback directly to Aspyr, which I think you should do. He knows your upset, so there's no need to keep driving that home in this thread

Yes, the reason I suggest voicing your complaints to the feedback e-mail is so it definitely gets seen by someone at Aspyr other than me. That said, I know other Aspyr employees watch the forums (at least on occasion) because I sometimes hear about it when I misspeak. :)

View Postbobbob, on June 27th 2009, 06:28 AM, said:

Not him personally...

For the record, I'm not taking any of this personally either. I understand where the frustration is coming from, as I'm sure that everyone here knows my day job is a programmer at Aspyr. ;)
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com