16 replies to this topic

#1 Who Knows?

Who Knows?

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

I'm am trying to get widescreen working in Knights of the Old Republic.  Widescreen Gaming Forum has a long thread for the pc version at: http://www.widescree...pic.php?t=12710 that has 4 steps.  Step 4 is just copying files and is easily done.

I've managed to complete step 1, where you get the resolution.  I'm running the game at 1680x1050 already(Intel Only in 1.03d) but there are some alignment problems with the hud and background screens.  I'm trying to find where the hud is in the program(since its hard coded) as per step 2 but have looked using HexEdit and have been unable to fine a part similar enough to match.  Can anyone help?

I also can't find step 3 but its largely superficial since it is only for movies.  Still any help would be appreciated.
This isn't the signature you're looking for.

#2 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

View PostWho Knows?, on June 13th 2009, 01:14 PM, said:

I've managed to complete step 1, where you get the resolution.  I'm running the game at 1680x1050 already(Intel Only in 1.03d) but there are some alignment problems with the hud and background screens.  I'm trying to find where the hud is in the program(since its hard coded) as per step 2 but have looked using HexEdit and have been unable to fine a part similar enough to match.  Can anyone help?
I also can't find step 3 but its largely superficial since it is only for movies.  Still any help would be appreciated.

The Mac version is sufficiently different in the handling of resolutions that you won't be able to HexEdit in hardcoded values. But what is amazing to see is that someone has created new UI .lay files for widescreen resolutions, which was the main factor preventing us from adding that support in originally. If we patch KOTOR for the Mac again, I'll definitely revisit this to see if I can enable these 16:9 resolutions so we can have non-stretched rendering.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#3 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

I'm going to resurrect this brief thread long enough to ask if anyone has figured out how to get this to work yet.  I've got the very latest version from the App store.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#4 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:34 PM

View Postclocknova, on 26 March 2011 - 08:37 AM, said:

I'm going to resurrect this brief thread long enough to ask if anyone has figured out how to get this to work yet.  I've got the very latest version from the App store.

Now it has been shown to be possible it would be nice if Aspyr would just added official widescreen support to the Mac release with a patch. Without Brad there to champion it I have my doubts however.

I'm guessing the PC release in Wine would work with the hack at widescreengamingforum.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#5 lewdvig

lewdvig

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:44 PM

View Postmattw, on 26 March 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

Now it has been shown to be possible it would be nice if Aspyr would just added official widescreen support to the Mac release with a patch. Without Brad there to champion it I have my doubts however.

I'm guessing the PC release in Wine would work with the hack at widescreengamingforum.

I think Aspyr is happy taking $20 for their 7 year old port as is.

The WINE port is def the way to go IMO.

#6 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:58 AM

At least Aspyr did patch the game for the App Store version. Would be nice if that was made available to their long standing (or even new!) customers who bought the retail DVD version.

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:32 AM

View PostSargiel, on 27 March 2011 - 05:58 AM, said:

Would be nice if that was made available to their long standing (or even new!) customers who bought the retail DVD version.
Especially considering they re-released the DVD version not too long ago...

But I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect Aspyr to add wide-screen support in a seven year port of an Xbox game.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:15 AM

Looks like I'll ditch the Mac version and go with the PC version in WINE, then.  I have a disc somewhere.  At least I bought it from the App store during the half-price Mondays sale and only paid $9.99.  I'm kind of sick of Aspyr.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#9 jessieleah

jessieleah

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

It's bloody ridiculous that Aspyr hasn't added widescreen support in a recent patch. They've patched it up to work on modern Macs... yet they haven't patched it to allow widescreen resolutions. WTF? This is absolutely ridiculous; you can't even GET a Mac with a 4:3 aspect ratio display any more. Shame on you, Aspyr.

#10 Jarmo

Jarmo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

View Postjessieleah, on 09 May 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

It's bloody ridiculous that Aspyr hasn't added widescreen support in a recent patch. They've patched it up to work on modern Macs...

Oh come on!  :blink:
The PC version doesn't have widescreen either, nor does it work on Win7...

#11 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:10 PM

View Postjessieleah, on 09 May 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

It's bloody ridiculous that Aspyr hasn't added widescreen support in a recent patch. They've patched it up to work on modern Macs... yet they haven't patched it to allow widescreen resolutions. WTF? This is absolutely ridiculous; you can't even GET a Mac with a 4:3 aspect ratio display any more. Shame on you, Aspyr.
I hate when support and updates get dropped for games too, but... KOTOR is 7 years old, dude, not 2. Take it easy on them.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#12 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:41 PM

View PostFrost, on 10 May 2011 - 06:10 PM, said:

I hate when support and updates get dropped for games too, but... KOTOR is 7 years old, dude, not 2. Take it easy on them.
Apple has been making wide-screen computers and displays for a decade... and Aspyr didn't care what it looked like on a PowerBook or Cinema Display when they first ported it? And they continue to sell new copies, on their new store-front, to new customers, to new Mac users, right now, and they still can't be arsed to fix it, yet they're turning people off buying anything from them ever again because the PC version in Wine, vmWare, Parallels, or Bootcamp would probably run better, would definitely look nicer, and actually has some fans willing to provide some welcome support for it unlike the people selling the damn thing?

View PostJarmo, on 10 May 2011 - 04:53 PM, said:

The PC version doesn't have widescreen either, nor does it work on Win7...
Well, the PC version actually runs in widescreen for people with the wherewithal to follow some simple instructions figured out by people who cared enough about the game to reverse-engineer it, again, unlike Aspyr, who won't let being paid for it let them care at all about their jobs nor the game. Also, some people seem to think it does work in Win7, so whatever random and entirely vague problem some might have anecdotally in passing is probably something other than merely Win 7, such as graphics drivers.

#13 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:55 AM

One other thing: the problem with the App Store version is that, even if you were able to apply the widescreen hack, it would do you no good as the app would no longer run.  All apps sold in the App Store are designed not to execute if they are altered or modded in any way  There's a checksum that's referenced upon launch; if it does not match exactly, the app does no launch.  Keep that in mind before making an App Store purchase.  No modding of your games.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#14 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

View Postclocknova, on 11 May 2011 - 03:55 AM, said:

One other thing: the problem with the App Store version is that, even if you were able to apply the widescreen hack, it would do you no good as the app would no longer run.  All apps sold in the App Store are designed not to execute if they are altered or modded in any way  There's a checksum that's referenced upon launch; if it does not match exactly, the app does no launch.  Keep that in mind before making an App Store purchase.  No modding of your games.
You are frakking popsnizzleting me.

The App Store officially sucks and I am never using it.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#15 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:34 PM

Yep that's definitely a deal breaker...

While I'm not mod/hack crazy I do like to install expansions & modifications where it's beneficial. Is this part of the reason why with Rome Total War games on Game Ranger the hosts are specifying App Store or DVD only ?

#16 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:10 AM

Yep.  I found this out after noticing that Avadon was $5 cheaper at the App Store.  I think this was Jeff's way of making up for that fact.  Many Avadon players have found interesting ways to mod the game to, for example, make secret doors easier to see, but people who bought it from the App Store cannot do so.  I think this is Apple's way of ensuring that apps are not modified with malicious code or somesuch.  It's supposed to be a part of their initiative to make everything easier for the user, but I think this goes way, way too far.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:08 AM

View Postclocknova, on 12 May 2011 - 02:10 AM, said:

I think this is Apple's way of ensuring that apps are not modified with malicious code or somesuch.  It's supposed to be a part of their initiative to make everything easier for the user, but I think this goes way, way too far.
Why am I not surprised that Apple thinks it is the computer "nanny state"?  A free people should be free to fail, guarantees on so called successes always come with a loss of liberty.  Join the Robolution!  I'm giving out 3D glasses because who doesn't want to fight in 3D!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat