17 replies to this topic

#1 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:53 PM

So I was wondering if anybody can share their experiences with the Sims 3 from a performance perspective. I'm talking about the Mac OSx version not running it in Windows under Boot Camp which I know would be better.

Specifically I want to know if it's worth buying for a machine with my specs (below in my signature)?

Thanks

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#2 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

View PostTacohead, on June 13th 2009, 02:53 PM, said:

So I was wondering if anybody can share their experiences with the Sims 3 from a performance perspective. I'm talking about the Mac OSx version not running it in Windows under Boot Camp which I know would be better.

Specifically I want to know if it's worth buying for a machine with my specs (below in my signature)?

Thanks

-PN

Looks and runs fine on Raven (see specs below). I'm very pleased with it's performance on my 9400M.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#3 Floxwoop

Floxwoop

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:18 AM

Anyone tried it on a 2.2GHz MBP (the one with a 128MB gf8600m)? Seeing as the 9400 can handle it just fine there shouldn't be a problem. But after Spores really lousy performance I don't trust Cider to work properly.

#4 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:49 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on June 13th 2009, 02:50 PM, said:

Looks and runs fine on Raven (see specs below). I'm very pleased with it's performance on my 9400M.

Thanks for the information. That's encouraging news indeed.  ;)

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3

#5 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:55 AM

View PostFloxwoop, on June 14th 2009, 05:18 AM, said:

Anyone tried it on a 2.2GHz MBP (the one with a 128MB gf8600m)? Seeing as the 9400 can handle it just fine there shouldn't be a problem. But after Spores really lousy performance I don't trust Cider to work properly.

Oddly enough I had no problems whatsoever running Spore on my set up. In fact I haven't had any problems with any Ciderrized for that matter. I guess I've been lucky so far. I don't know what this means for the Sims 3 however. I'm sure I'll find out soon though.

-PN

#6 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:00 PM

View PostTacohead, on June 14th 2009, 12:55 PM, said:

Oddly enough I had no problems whatsoever running Spore on my set up. In fact I haven't had any problems with any Ciderrized for that matter. I guess I've been lucky so far. I don't know what this means for the Sims 3 however. I'm sure I'll find out soon though.

-PN

I've never had Cider problems for Spore or Sims 3 on either of my machines either. Never have figured out what the fuss is about "bad performance" on better machines than mine. One of those things I guess.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#7 Jeyl

Jeyl

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Steam Name:Jeyl
  • Steam ID:jeyl1984

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

How about the fourth speed? You know the one that's labled ">l" ? I click that and nothing is different. It's the same as the ">>>" speed.

Anyone share the same issues?

Other than that, the game runs terrificly.
Processor: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Mac OS X Version 10.7.3

#8 RGoulder

RGoulder

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

View PostJeyl, on June 14th 2009, 06:09 PM, said:

How about the fourth speed? You know the one that's labled ">l" ? I click that and nothing is different. It's the same as the ">>>" speed.

Anyone share the same issues?

Other than that, the game runs terrificly.
The ">l" goes at the same speed as the ">>>", the difference being is that it will stop going at that speed when the current action is completed. So if you have your sim reading a book once the book is completed it will go back to normal speed.

#9 tuppence95

tuppence95

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:08 AM

I'm having some definite problems running Sims 3 on OSX.  It works fine on Windows/BootCamp.

I'm running it on:
MacBookPro 2.66 GHz, 4 GB ram, OS 10.5.7, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

The game won't save.  It goes into Save mode, and just hangs there indefinitely.  I had read somewhere else to be patient during saves.  I went away, had dinner, walked the dog, and when I came back, it was still hanging.  I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem.  Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?  I've tried calling the Tech Support phone number twice but gave up after about a 15 min wait.

edited to add:  I found the solution!  I guess there are two graphics cards in this MBP.  I switched to the more energy-efficient choice, and the game saves properly now.

#10 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:48 AM

Now that is peculiar. The lesser graphics option gives you better performance? :lol:
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#11 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

View Posttuppence95, on June 16th 2009, 12:08 PM, said:

I'm having some definite problems running Sims 3 on OSX.  It works fine on Windows/BootCamp.

I'm running it on:
MacBookPro 2.66 GHz, 4 GB ram, OS 10.5.7, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

The game won't save.  It goes into Save mode, and just hangs there indefinitely.  I had read somewhere else to be patient during saves.  I went away, had dinner, walked the dog, and when I came back, it was still hanging.  I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem.  Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?  I've tried calling the Tech Support phone number twice but gave up after about a 15 min wait.
edited to add:  I found the solution!  I guess there are two graphics cards in this MBP.  I switched to the more energy-efficient choice, and the game saves properly now.

This has nothing to do with your saving issue but if you go into "Energy Saver" I believe you can set your computer for better performance. Meaning that it will use the 9600M instead of the 9400M. While the 9400M isn't bad, the 9600M is significantly better, which translates into better graphics
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#12 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on June 13th 2009, 02:50 PM, said:

I'm still using a Core2 Duo machine hatched from the same nest as your Magpie, DaveyJJ. Have you tried it on there?
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#13 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:50 AM

View PostRubel, on June 22nd 2009, 05:50 PM, said:

I'm still using a Core2 Duo machine hatched from the same nest as your Magpie, DaveyJJ. Have you tried it on there?

Yes. It runs as well I'd say but I'm not as certain. That machine has a games account where I load all my games for my kids to play (obviously when I am not playing since it needs the DVD). My oldest son has much more playtime on that machine but from what I've watched over his shoulder it seems to run OK as well.

I will fiddle tonight and let you know.

And mine is a core Duo machine, the first gen of the Core Duo Intel iMacs.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#14 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

Ok, I finally got The Sims 3. Installation went fine and after about 3 hours of play in story mode I'm happy to report the game runs unexpectedly well (specs in sig) . I'm running at 1280x800 with most of the graphical settings at medium and a few just below that (the settings the game automatically picked for me). The game still looks decent to me although not as good as on my friend's PC (which has 4 gigs of RAM and a 512mb video card). There's slight stuttering on occasional but nothing major or frequent and only mainly in town, zoomed out somewhat. No crashes yet either. I am quitting all other applications when playing and turning off Time Machine just to be on the safe side. So once again it appears I've lucked out with Cider.

As for the game itself I really like what I see. I love the traits and lifetime goals things and there seems to be less of an emphasis on the needs which is big for me. I'm not fond of micromanagement and far too much time was spent eating, peeing, and sleeping in the previous games doing these things. Being able to explore the town is awesome as well.

There's just so much to do with this game that it's a bit overwhelming but I look forward to trying it all!   :D

-PN

#15 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:31 PM

Glad it's running well for yo,u Tacohead. I too have yet to have any issues with the game and am enjoying messing with my little dolls.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#16 Jeyl

Jeyl

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Steam Name:Jeyl
  • Steam ID:jeyl1984

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:40 AM

They released an update about two/three days ago and the speed increase settings are much more fluent.
Processor: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Mac OS X Version 10.7.3

#17 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:18 PM

Hey, this game is pretty fun! I expect it'll be like my last time with the Sims (up all night for a week or two, then getting bored), but I really enjoy some of the flexibility, like being able to zoom out and in on your Sims all through the town. I wonder what the "next step" will be once I get family life and career life well explored? I guess the fun is in exploring the possibilities.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#18 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:05 PM

View PostRubel, on August 17th 2009, 08:18 PM, said:

I wonder what the "next step" will be once I get family life and career life well explored?
Then it becomes the usual endgame grinding with running the same instances over and over to finally get the best drops, and maybe some PvP interspersed.

Oh, wait... wrong addictive game.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"