22 replies to this topic

#1 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

Just saw this thing listed for sale on Amazon. Looks like you're a genetically engineered human with shape-shifting abilities (including turning your arms into blades), heightened sensory powers, the ability to run up walls, and other cool things. Worth buying?
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:07 PM

Sounds like you get to play the third terminator chick...

Lots of games out there claim things. Hard to know unless they release a stinking demo. Games without demos? I don't bother.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:58 PM

I talked to someone quickly who own it. It is supposedly a sandbox FPS.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#4 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:23 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on June 13th 2009, 05:58 AM, said:

I talked to someone quickly who own it. It is supposedly a sandbox FPS.

Liberator.

Since it's third person nope it's not a FPS.

Haven't tried it but want to. Here is a video review from G4TV:
http://g4tv.com/game...ototype/review/

#5 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:23 AM

I picked this up a few days ago so I thought to weigh in here. I'll write a review/overview below without spoiling anything. I've been following this for about 2 years, so I was very excited to finally get it.

The basic premise is this. You (Alex Mercer) wake up in a morgue with no idea how you got there, and what happened to you. As you go on you realize you have various super powers. (which you have due to a type of virus in you)  The game's plot revolves around finding out who did this to you. The story is presented in both future/past form. By that I mean both what has happened, and what did happen is slowly unfolded through cool videos (memories.) So its more or less revenge and mystery. Its slickly presented, and the voice acting is pretty good.

Setting:

Its set in NYC while an infection is running rampant in the city. The military is fighting the 'infected' and both are fighting you and each other, so there's often 3 way battles. Its gets worse as you progress over an 18 day period. The city is done well enough to be believable. There's enough cars and pedestrians (and obviously buildings. NYC is recreated on a smaller scale) to make it feel alive, but its nowhere close to say, GTA 4's rendition of LIberty city which I thought to be amazing. Still, as I said it good enough so its not so noticeable once you get into it.

Animations are very good however, especially for Alex, the main character. I'm quite impressed. Graphics are not next gen by any means, but they are good. I've got the game maxed on my MBP. (2.53 core duo 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9600 512)  Resolution, graphics, shadows and AA are the only settings. I have it all cranked, except AA which I left at 2x. It runs smooth, and stutters on rare occasions for a moment or two when the screen is going crazy with action. So its well optimized.

Controls

To note it is 3rd person. Someone said something about an FPS, but its not. On that note I found the camera holds up well even during the most frantic action.

Alex has a lot of powers, and a lot of moves. Performing all of these is not difficult, in fact its quite easy.  But it is a lot to manage. I only mention this if you aren't good at managing a complex character. Any experienced player will have no trouble.  If  forget anything the Upgrade screen explains how to perform any actions. (standard controls aside.)

You have a lot of powers, and you can either use hotkeys, or use a convenient radial menu that you can access which slows down time while you do. I've been using this so far as I find it quicker than the hotkeys. Even so there are "last used power" keys for your different power category types. Most powers are a combination of the mouse buttons, and the more advanced one's, another key on the board.

Gameplay

The game is free roaming, or 'sand box.' The main story progresses by "missions" which you choose when to start. Otherwise you are free to run around and cause as much havoc as you like. There are a number of optional varied "events" you can do to gain extra Evolution Points which are used to upgrade your powers. (Recommended. There's a ton of upgrades, and they cost you.)  Missions also give you EP when you complete them. Any enemy killed also gives you a small amount of EP.

The main substance of this game is the combat and the insane amount of destruction you can cause. Only key buildings can be destroyed, but you can tear up the streets pretty good. Vehicles and people are all free game for any rampage. Most missions require some form of combat. There are minor stealth elements, and they work, but they are not the focus. The focus is outrageous action. Since you can run super fast, jump very high, scale buildings with ease, toss trucks like they were rocks, and transform your arms into a nasty variety of weapons, this is easy with just yourself. You can also assume disguises, and this is done by "consuming" a person. Consuming also gives you health. You can use any weapon dropped by the military, and the shooting mechanics are simple but effective. Military vehicles also can be hijacked once you learn how.

The game makes you more or less feel like some type of god. Its totally badass. Even from the start you are powerful and only get exponentially more so as you progress.

Enemies (both human and infected) are not that varied, but sufficiently done. I don't have any issue with them.

Game is saved via checkpoints. You can save manually, but it doesn't seem to save right where you are. If you save and reload it puts you on top of a building usually near a misson start. I haven't found this an issue so far even though I normally dislike checkpoint systems.

Final Thoughts

I've only put a few hours in, but its great fun, and is not repetitive. Missions are varied enough so far, and the combat or just screwing around is endless entertainment.  I would suggest anyone who likes the genre, or is interested in the concept. I don't think you'll regret it. I'm recommending it to all my friends to pick up.

No idea about a demo, but it really is awesome.

*edit*

Reviews are up on any major gaming site. Gamespot, IGN, C&VG and such. Check it out for more thorough review. I was just summarizing.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#6 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:19 AM

Purchased. Sounds pretty cool and I think I've played Fallout to death (125 hours) so I need something else.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#7 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, that does sound a bit too long. Then again, if you enjoyed it, and that means enjoying the last 20 ~ hours, then that is fine. Also, anyone played infamous?

Liberator.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#8 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:29 AM

yes.

me.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#9 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:01 AM

How was it, as I have a feeling that inFamous and Prototype are kind of similar, yes?

Liberator.

#10 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:43 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on June 16th 2009, 09:01 AM, said:

How was it, as I have a feeling that inFamous and Prototype are kind of similar, yes?

Liberator.

I've read three reviews for Prototype that pretty much say: "Shut up about Infamous and Prototype being the same. They are most definitely not."

Haven't tried them myself but I'll take the reviewers word for it.

#11 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:38 AM

based off the videos Ive seen of Prototype, they are both very different. Prototype is far more to do with over the top action, explosions and huge amounts of gore. inFamous is more about how you fight (since being more controlled is "good" whilst blasting everything to heck is "bad"), scaling large buildings (I believe in Prototype you effectively just jump) and making moral choices.

Personally I really enjoyed inFamous. The action was spot on, the climbing was pretty nailed and the story was pretty good. Of course, I dont really have an opinion on Prototype other than what Ive seen, and it doesn't really look to appeal to me. YMMV.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#12 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:12 PM

I will look into these some time later one. Thank you for you replies about the games. :)

Liberator.

#13 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:07 PM

View Postteflon, on June 16th 2009, 07:38 AM, said:

Personally I really enjoyed inFamous. The action was spot on, the climbing was pretty nailed and the story was pretty good.

Is it available for PC or is it console only? I can't seem to find it for Windows but am intrigued after your praise.

#14 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:23 PM

View Postjgwdoc, on June 16th 2009, 08:07 PM, said:

Is it available for PC or is it console only? I can't seem to find it for Windows but am intrigued after your praise.
PS3 exclusive.

The exclusive thing is actually kind of working.  I'm contemplating getting a PS3 for a number of games they have ONLY on that platform.  It won't be for a while either way.  I hate being such an incurable consumer.

#15 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:45 AM

My praise is a bit too emphatic, but thats cos Im fighting a bit of an uphill battle with this one.
Infamous is still rather flawed in some ways, theres a lot of pop-in, the morality is a bit hackneyed and simplistic (its either carnage and draining life force, or being careful not to hurt them and defibrillating them at every opportunity), and the fighting, though great, can get a bit repetitive since youll find your particular style and stick to it.
On the plus side, the fighting style differs when playing good and evil, and as I said, i really enjoyed the story. As I keep saying of new titles (assassins creed, mirror's edge), theres a clear line for improvement for a sequel, and they did enough in the first game for me to enjoy it so that the sequel will be something I really look out for.

#16 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

It was the exclusives that convinced me to get a PS3. My entire PS3 game library is exclusives; Killzone 2, MGS 4, Uncharted, and Socom Confrontation (bought it to get the free, sony, bluetooth headset :happy:  )
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:23 AM

Posted Image

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#18 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:32 PM

:lol:

Nice Janich, :thumbsup:

Liberator.

#19 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:29 PM

A word of warning to those planning to play this on their Windows partition: mucho hard crashes. I've played about 10 hours and now can't load a game without a hard crash. Activision support has given me a number of suggestions, none of which fixed the problem. From perusing a few gaming sites, this appears to be relatively common with the PC port. Probably needs a patch which is not out there yet. Fun gameplay, but buyer beware.

#20 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:14 PM

View Postjgwdoc, on September 22nd 2009, 11:29 AM, said:

A word of warning to those planning to play this on their Windows partition: mucho hard crashes. I've played about 10 hours and now can't load a game without a hard crash. Activision support has given me a number of suggestions, none of which fixed the problem. From perusing a few gaming sites, this appears to be relatively common with the PC port. Probably needs a patch which is not out there yet. Fun gameplay, but buyer beware.

Just wanted to update this in order to be fair: problem was not the game, but my video card which was on the verge of dying and couldn't handle the stress of Prototype. New card, no problems. The gameplay really is fun. The powers acquired are interesting, and can be used in various enemy-specific ways in combat. Lots of gore. Plus, how can you really complain about a game that allows you to kick a helicopter out of the air (or jump onto it, throw out the pilots, and take it over yourself), or that allows you to run up buildings, leap from rooftop-to-rooftop in a visually convincing manner, and smash a tank to pieces with your enhanced fist. The plot sucks, but that's about par for an FPS these days. And for New Yorkers out there, you can run onto the roof of your own building and see what's up there.