#81 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

Actually, that's a well-known fact that in Civilization and related games the AI "cheats" on higher difficulty levels. Sid Meier or any of his minions never denied this – since it even says so in the manual. On the other hand, the player gets relatively unfair advantages over the AI on lower difficulty settings, so that levels out. When you want a Civ game with equal odds, play on "Noble".

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#82 Carl Atkinson

Carl Atkinson

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:58 PM

View PostJanichsan, on November 6th 2009, 03:24 PM, said:

Actually, that's a well-known fact that in Civilization and related games the AI "cheats" on higher difficulty levels. Sid Meier or any of his minions never denied this – since it even says so in the manual. On the other hand, the player gets relatively unfair advantages over the AI on lower difficulty settings, so that levels out. When you want a Civ game with equal odds, play on "Noble".

Also, see this site:
http://www.kynosarge...vilization.html

for truly balancing the playing field on Noble.  The AI supposedly still has advantages on Noble, and this guy's xml file makes it completely even.

#83 AlanH

AlanH

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:55 PM

View PostJanichsan, on November 6th 2009, 08:24 PM, said:

Giving the AI some differential cost/speed advantages is the mechanism by which the human's game is made more or less difficult. That's handicapping, in the same way as golfers or horses with different capabilities are given equal chances. The only other way to achieve higher difficulty would be to make the AI more intelligent, which could probably only be achieved by slowing the game play down significantly.

I don't see handicapping as cheating.

The OP indicated that the AI can spontaneously create extra units, presumably in response to a human threat, which I would agree could be considered as cheating. But I don't think I've seen any indication from Sid that this is published behaviour.

#84 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:20 PM

View PostAlanH, on November 6th 2009, 06:55 PM, said:

The OP indicated that the AI can spontaneously create extra units, presumably in response to a human threat, which I would agree could be considered as cheating. But I don't think I've seen any indication from Sid that this is published behaviour.

He may be thinking of CivRev, which users have loaded videos on you tube showing spontaneous unit generation by the AI.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#85 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:50 PM

The AI in the first Civilization cheated like mad, but the later installments have little or no cheating (don't know about CivRev, haven't played it).

--Eric

#86 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3813 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:46 AM

View PostEric5h5, on November 7th 2009, 05:50 AM, said:

The AI in the first Civilization cheated like mad, but the later installments have little or no cheating (don't know about CivRev, haven't played it).

--Eric
That is not entirely correct. The AI does know some things it shouldn't - Your tech level and troop placement for one thing.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#87 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:04 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on November 7th 2009, 04:46 AM, said:

That is not entirely correct. The AI does know some things it shouldn't - Your tech level and troop placement for one thing.

I don't feel like the AI has cheater's knowledge of your tech and military.  Everyone's tech level is more or less readily available knowledge once you've got Alphabet anyway.  On the military side, I've seen it happen in several of my games that a militarily much more powerful neighbor did not attack me until immediately and obviously after I made the mistake of giving them open borders and they had a chance to scout my territory.

#88 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:04 AM

in bts there are certain quests that you are given to finish. Where can you find the details of these quests after you have hit ok. Are they in one of the menus?

#89 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3813 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:23 AM

View PostA.Cole, on 05 August 2009 - 01:18 PM, said:

So now that we have both expansions to Civ 4, which one would be better... Civ 4 or Civ 3 (complete vs. complete)?

I have played Civ 4 quite a bit and I loved Civ 2, but I never played 3.  Just wanting some opinions!
Civ4 is definately the best Civ there is. But Civ3 has it charms.. Really depends on your fanaticism. :P
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#90 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:20 AM

Huh. Just had a memory allocation error on BTS. Crashed my game just as I was a couple cities away from scrubbing the last vestiges of French culture from the map. Wonder how recent the las autosave is? Maybe this is just an anti-addiction feature built into the game. It is, after all, a bit after 3:00am my time and I've got to be at work in a bit under 4 hours. Guess I'll take a nap and worry about it tomorrow...err... today.