89 replies to this topic

#21 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

Well, lets just hope that the presence of alternatives like Crossover encourages them to move a little faster.  Beyond the Sword wasn't just a little delayed; it was, for all intents and purposes, not coming at all.  How long do they expect their potential customers to wait?  In my opinion, the best thing would be to wait until the PC version has all of its expansions and major patches, no matter how long that takes, then release the complete Mac version.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#22 AlanH

AlanH

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

View Postclocknova, on July 25th 2009, 04:46 PM, said:

Well, lets just hope that the presence of alternatives like Crossover encourages them to move a little faster.  Beyond the Sword wasn't just a little delayed; it was, for all intents and purposes, not coming at all.  How long do they expect their potential customers to wait?
Of course they won't wait. But apparently you think they should ...

In my opinion, the best thing would be to wait until the PC version has all of its expansions and major patches, no matter how long that takes, then release the complete Mac version.
In the case of Civ4 that just wouldn't work if it was tried today. If you count Beyond the Sword as the last expansion, then by the time it arrived on Windows, vanilla and Warlords were already available as a "Gold" package, and in today's world of bootcamp and VMs the main customer base would have bought and played that already. A simultaneous Mac release of the Complete package would not be able to compete with paying a few dollars for the BtS add-on.

But in any case, how can you know when the game has reached "all of its expansions and major patches". Is "two" a magic number of expansions? Colonization arrived last year as the latest addition to the family, and although it's a standalone app, it has already been bundled with Civ4 Complete/Ultimate for Windows. And version 3.19 of BtS only arrived last month.

#23 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:01 AM

It is difficult. The 'Complete Packs'/Special Editions are effectively for generating budget price sales once the games core market has had it's fill. So if Aspyr had waited too long in releasing Civ 4 whose to say that a significant number of Civ fans might have found other solutions by buying the PC version & expansions in the meantime ? That would then mean much less in the way of sales of it's very late Complete Version of Civ 4 as well as higher porting costs in a much smaller period of time - less money for Aspyr.

It's expansions we have problems with in Mac gaming. Games get released and, generally speaking, looked after OK by the porting house (patch for HOMM V please Freeverse - especially now you're rolling in all that iphone generated cash ;) ). However when someone has bought a game and then sees all these lovely expansions being released they'll want to buy them too. But it's far from a given as to when, if ever, they will come to the Mac which is very frustrating. For example as a NWN 2 owner I'm unable to play on any of the big RP Persistant Worlds as, while currently worked on, we don't have a current patch and we have none of the expansions. While good for the amount of free-time I have it's not as good from a gaming point of view and leaves people feeling left out in the cold. The fact that Mac companies don't/can't comment doesn't help either. For example Aspyr could be working on the expansions right now but we'd have no idea. I'm 100% they've lost sales by not bringing the expansions as I know with NWN1 that people used the PC expansion with the Mac client. Not everyone will have done like me and bought the PC expansions to be able to play NWN 1 online and then bought the Mac versions as they were released ;) However I can't even do that with NWN2 as we haven't had a patch for so long that the second expansion isn't workable with the Mac client. I'm pleased Aspyr are working on the latest patch and will release a performance patch for us after that. However NWN was always about online play so I don't understand why they've never shown a sign regarding the expansions. Mask of the Betrayer is now a similar vintage to Beyond the Sword - and we know how long we've waited for that ;)

Moving onto a different tangent; Jade Empire:SE is an interesting case. That was released with no fanfare, no clue that any work was being done on a port and then released online only at Gametreeonline (it's a cider port). I'd be interested to know how well it sold. It is a great game (as is anything from Bioware :D ) and the price point ($34) wasn't bad. I snapped it up as soon as it was released but I love RPG's with good stories and Bioware's are always well done.

#24 Beamup

Beamup

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:13 AM

View Postclocknova, on July 25th 2009, 11:46 AM, said:

Well, lets just hope that the presence of alternatives like Crossover encourages them to move a little faster.  Beyond the Sword wasn't just a little delayed; it was, for all intents and purposes, not coming at all.  How long do they expect their potential customers to wait?  In my opinion, the best thing would be to wait until the PC version has all of its expansions and major patches, no matter how long that takes, then release the complete Mac version.
This is grossly inconsistent.  The PC version MAYBE has all of its expansions and major patches now.  So according to you, they should have gotten BTS out much sooner, but they should also have only released Vanilla last month.  Take your pick; you can't have both.
Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

#25 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:38 AM

Then let me be clearer:  if companies like Aspyr cannot promise, right up front, that all expansions and major patches to a given game will be delivered in a timely fashion, then they should not port that game.  I'm so sick of buying a Mac game, only to find that the porting company won't be bringing the expansions or maintaining patch parity with the PC counterpart.  With the availability of solutions like Crossover Games, I don't see how they can afford to operate this way.  I realize that this isn't necessarily the fault of companies like Aspyr, but it just goes to show how untenable their business model has become.

And don't bother trying to explain to me why such a promise is impossible; I know that it is, and that's my point.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#26 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

Aspyr has released an announcement.  Here's a bit of the email I received.  

AUSTIN, TX – July 27, 2009 – Aspyr Media has announced that Sid Meier’s Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword® for Mac has shipped to North American retail outlets. . .Released in partnership with 2K Games, a division of the 2K publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), Sid Meier’s Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword is the second expansion pack for the enormously popular Sid Meier’s Civilization IV® franchise.

"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#27 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:37 AM

Aspyr's website doesn't seem to be updated yet, but it's being reported by Macworld now.

http://www.macworld....ndthesword.html

Announcements of Star Wars The Force Unleashed and Civ IV Beyond the Sword in a matter of days. Maybe things in Mac gaming and Aspyr are looking up.

#28 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

View Postltcommander.data, on July 27th 2009, 12:37 PM, said:

Aspyr's website doesn't seem to be updated yet, but it's being reported by Macworld now.

http://www.macworld....ndthesword.html

Announcements of Star Wars The Force Unleashed and Civ IV Beyond the Sword in a matter of days. Maybe things in Mac gaming and Aspyr are looking up.

They have it listed on their news page, but they don't have the article up yet.

#29 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:06 PM

View Postclocknova, on July 27th 2009, 08:38 AM, said:

And don't bother trying to explain to me why such a promise is impossible; I know that it is, and that's my point.

Just so I'm clear, you'd (strongly) like a promise of this nature, but also realize it's impossible. Is that correct?
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#30 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

View PostBrad Oliver, on July 27th 2009, 11:06 AM, said:

Just so I'm clear, you'd (strongly) like a promise of this nature, but also realize it's impossible. Is that correct?
Yes, I believe it's what he's said. As a lot, we Mac Gamers have been pretty resigned to failure.

#31 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

View Postbobbob, on July 27th 2009, 12:33 PM, said:

As a lot, we Mac Gamers have been pretty resigned to failure.
I'd debate you about that but I'd probably lose.  ;)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#32 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:01 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on July 27th 2009, 07:50 PM, said:

I'd debate you about that but I'd probably lose.  ;)

Get out of the 'Mac Strategy' section, tBC,...NOW!   ;)   <--- Wink!  :)

#33 Vulpine

Vulpine

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

My copy of Beyond The Sword has arrived safely, installed, and all seems to be well. However, I still have an odd issue with my copy of Civ 4, regardless of which expansion pack is used: leader portraits are consistently rendered poorly. Some parts of their portrait are invisible, or appear behind items they ought to be in front of. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm using a MacBook Pro, with two GPUs (9400/9600).

#34 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:27 AM

View PostVulpine, on August 4th 2009, 01:25 PM, said:

My copy of Beyond The Sword has arrived safely, installed, and all seems to be well. However, I still have an odd issue with my copy of Civ 4, regardless of which expansion pack is used: leader portraits are consistently rendered poorly. Some parts of their portrait are invisible, or appear behind items they ought to be in front of. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm using a MacBook Pro, with two GPUs (9400/9600).

Is anti-aliasing on?

#35 Vulpine

Vulpine

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

I've just tried turning it off, which seems to have fixed the problem. Thanking you kindly!

#36 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

View PostVulpine, on August 4th 2009, 02:19 PM, said:

I've just tried turning it off, which seems to have fixed the problem. Thanking you kindly!

And you good sir, are very welcome.  :)

#37 OsgoodShepard

OsgoodShepard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:06 AM

Does anyone know the answer?

Civ 4 runs fine on Macbooks with intel integrated video (x3100 and above). Aspyr's website stated that only GMA 950 was not supported. But no such detail is stated on Aspyr's site for BTS. Has anybody run BTS on a X3100 Macbook?

#38 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:58 AM

View PostOsgoodShepard, on August 5th 2009, 08:06 AM, said:

Does anyone know the answer?

Civ 4 runs fine on Macbooks with intel integrated video (x3100 and above). Aspyr's website stated that only GMA 950 was not supported. But no such detail is stated on Aspyr's site for BTS. Has anybody run BTS on a X3100 Macbook?

From a hardware standpoint, BtS is no more demanding than Warlords or Civ4.

#39 OsgoodShepard

OsgoodShepard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:30 AM

View Postdojoboy, on August 5th 2009, 07:58 AM, said:

From a hardware standpoint, BtS is no more demanding than Warlords or Civ4.

Thanks. I'll be ordering BtS. Aspyr's Game Agent is no help in this either. Much of what Game Agent indicates will not run on a X3100 Macbook works perfectly fine.

#40 A.Cole

A.Cole

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

So now that we have both expansions to Civ 4, which one would be better... Civ 4 or Civ 3 (complete vs. complete)?

I have played Civ 4 quite a bit and I loved Civ 2, but I never played 3.  Just wanting some opinions!
15" Macbook Pro, 2.80ghz, 4GB DDR3, 9600M 512mb
Time, Truth, Hearts