89 replies to this topic

#1 Vulpine

Vulpine

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

We knew this was coming, thanks to the appearance of the page on Aspyr's website and Brad's confirmation, and now Amazon are listing it as available for pre-order this coming July. Hurrah!

#2 AlanH

AlanH

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:45 AM

View PostVulpine, on June 7th 2009, 10:39 PM, said:

We knew this was coming, thanks to the appearance of the page on Aspyr's website and Brad's confirmation, and now Amazon are listing it as available for pre-order this coming July. Hurrah!
2KGames have just released a new patch, updating BtS to version 3.19. I wonder if this will throw a spanner into the Aspyr release schedule. I'm sure they wouldn't want to release v3.17 now, and a patch immediately afterwards.

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:39 AM

Doesn't affect me, but this is great news for many people on this sight. I can remember endless BtS protests.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#4 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

I'm one of those who was really excited about BtS way back when.  I hate to hate on any attempt at porting good games to the Mac, and as Mac gamers we are a patient people, but still some measure of timeliness does make a difference.  Civ 4 is by now a game that I absorbed and moved on from a long long time ago.

#5 Chris14

Chris14

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:52 PM

Words cannot convey my excitement at this. I despise having to reboot into Windows for my Civ IV BTS fix. I eagerly await BTS for Mac!
Wooooooooooot!

#6 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:34 AM

Yep - just placed my pre-order now :)

Play.com are listing expected release as 31/07/09 while Amazon.co.uk have it as 20/07/09. Both priced identically - 17.99 with free postage.

#7 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:31 AM

I was hoping for an earlier release.  Those dates don't give me as much time prior to the start of school.  I need lots of time on this one.  ;)
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#8 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:55 AM

::Rev-O crosses July, August & September off the calendar::
Well, those months will be lost!

#9 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

I'm lazy enough that I'll enjoy having even such an old game around without rebooting into my "gaming OS". It had better have the latest patch, though.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#10 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

View PostRubel, on June 22nd 2009, 04:39 PM, said:

I'm lazy enough that I'll enjoy having even such an old game around without rebooting into my "gaming OS". It had better have the latest patch, though.

Lazy? Lazy! You want lazy?!
I'm so lazy my "gaming OS" is OS X!

#11 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:11 AM

View PostRev-O, on June 23rd 2009, 12:36 AM, said:

Lazy? Lazy! You want lazy?!
I'm so lazy my "gaming OS" is OS X!

Oi - who are you calling lazy! ;)

#12 A.Cole

A.Cole

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:41 PM

Hm, I wonder if they will do the CIv 4 complete edition then, with Colonization.  That would be worth the wait... if we knew.
15" Macbook Pro, 2.80ghz, 4GB DDR3, 9600M 512mb
Time, Truth, Hearts

#13 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:23 AM

Personally I wouldn't wait - Civ 4 is a great game and you're missing out by waiting years on the hope a special edition will come out. You can already get the gold edition & plus Beyond the Sword gives us the complete suite :)

#14 A.Cole

A.Cole

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:21 AM

View PostSargiel, on July 22nd 2009, 01:23 AM, said:

Personally I wouldn't wait - Civ 4 is a great game and you're missing out by waiting years on the hope a special edition will come out. You can already get the gold edition & plus Beyond the Sword gives us the complete suite :)

Well, I do own the Windows version already, but honestly, I just got my first Mac and I am willing to repurchase my games just to avoid dual booting.  The only games I will really miss are Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civ 2, but I am willing to let those go.  So I will probably do this anyways to have the gold and BtS.
Time, Truth, Hearts

#15 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:54 AM

Definitely with you there. I did buy Vista to dual boot on my iMac for some classic PC gaming - but I found myself hardly ever booting into Widows. It's much better having a native version.

Also I'm curious to know what Mac you bought ? And welcome to the madhouse that is IMG :D

#16 A.Cole

A.Cole

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

View PostSargiel, on July 22nd 2009, 12:54 PM, said:

Definitely with you there. I did buy Vista to dual boot on my iMac for some classic PC gaming - but I found myself hardly ever booting into Widows. It's much better having a native version.

Also I'm curious to know what Mac you bought ? And welcome to the madhouse that is IMG :D

Thanks, I am glad I stumbled on to this site.  I bought the Macbook Pro 15" 2.8ghz with the 9600M 512mb and an updated hard drive (500GB @7200rpm instead of 5400rpm).  Mainly using the computer for music editing since I do a lot of acoustic music and really like GarageBand and Logic.  However, I do some very light gaming (hardcore-light?) so I need some games.  I am a real hardcore strategy gamer, but I haven't had time to really do lots anymore.  Honestly, give me Rise of Nations, Civ, and Rome Total War and I will be set.

I am avoiding dual booting at all costs, so I am losing some options.  I just don't want to bother with Windows anymore, nor would I want to get a copy and then anti-virus and the like.  Plus partitioning the hard drive wouldn't be in my best interest since I am looking to do lots of music.
Time, Truth, Hearts

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:27 AM

Interestingly, BtS got shipped today in Germany.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#18 Beamup

Beamup

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:57 PM

There are also several reports that it has been shipped from Amazon US.
Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

#19 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:45 AM

Already have Civ IV Complete; bought the PC version which runs flawlessly in Crossover Games Mac.  Sorry, Aspyr.  You missed the boat on this one.  Next time bring us the expansions as soon as they are released on PC.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#20 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:21 AM

While it's true to say Beyond the Sword was significantly delayed it's a bit unfair to expect a porting house to always release simultaneously with the PC as they need to finalise their code to the PC release version. That's also assuming the port was started before release which doesn't appear to be all that common :D

I do sympathise though as I'm still waiting on the expansions for NWN 2 from Aspyr and I've given up on Freeverse bringing out a patch or expansions for HOMM V.

However on the positive side we do have Beyond the Sword arriving shortly and NWN 2 is being patched up to date with the PC version.