• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Andy La Rubin

Andy La Rubin

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:28 AM

Hello everyone!

Recently we've done porting our freeware game, based on Babylon 5 universe, to Mac OS X (with both Intel and PowerPC support). So, if you like space simulator genre with not a "planes in space"-type of physics, but fully neutonian one - six degrees of freedom, individual thrust in each direction etc, and/or you like Babylon 5 universe and want to unleash the power of a Starfury to those pesky raiders, feel free to test our newest version of Babylon 5: I've Found Her: the “Danger and Opportunity” 1.15 Release Candidate 2 available for download at our site!

Also, please visit our forums and leave any constructive feedback there (or here, if you like)

Some screenshots:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:32 PM

Very cool  - I loved the series and this sim looks top notch. Thanks to Andy for bringing the good news!

Downloading now! :)

#3 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:04 PM

AWESOME! Though I'm not a B5 fan, space combat with newtonian physics is all you have to say to get me onboard. I will go download this right now.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#4 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

Looks pretty nifty.
Also quite ironic how these computer graphics generated in real time are much better looking than those of the actual series (even though theres a 16 year time gap since it began and now).

On the subject of newtonian physics in a space combat game, I believe the BSG total conversion of FreeSpace 2 (I think it was called "beyond the line" or something) also had a similarly realistic take on the physics, so you could cut the main thrusters, spin on any axis you choose and blast away at whoever was pursuing you.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#5 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

BtRL doesn't actually use pure Newtonian physics, but a hybrid between Newtonian and "planes in space." With the specs and TTW ratios the Vipers are given, though, most of the performance seen in space combat using Vipers should be doable with Newtonian physics; they'd just have to play with the Vipers to make them pitch more into the turns than they do.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#6 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

I never really got the BSG one working properly, so I wouldnt know first hand, but I guess they had to do a fair bit of hacking to get it to do even as much realistic movement as it does..

After quite a bit of digging on the site, B5:IFH uses a custom built engine (good work BTW), and so has a ground up (ha!) physics engine built to accomodate it.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:21 AM

The first space sim with a true 3D Newtonian flight model was to my knowledge Frontier: Elite 2 – even to the extent that the flight path of your ship was affected by the gravity of the planets. *sigh* There is still no game that is on par with Frontier, that unfortunately hasn't gracefully aged...

Back to topic: why the heck is the MacOS X version of B5: IFH 273.4 MB big while the Windows version only has 15.3 MB? :blink:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Andy La Rubin

Andy La Rubin

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:39 AM

View PostJanichsan, on April 29th 2009, 02:21 PM, said:

Back to topic: why the heck is the MacOS X version of B5: IFH 273.4 MB big while the Windows version only has 15.3 MB? :blink:

That's because MacOSX version is a full package, released for the first time, and Windows version is a patch for 1.1 (which in turn weighs about 270 Mb ;) )

BTW, a problem was found in this version, concerning wireless mice. So if your wireless mouse doesn't work, try to switch to a wired one for a time being. The fix will be available in a few days.

#9 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:47 AM

View PostAndy La Rubin, on April 30th 2009, 11:39 AM, said:

That's because MacOSX version is a full package, released for the first time, and Windows version is a patch for 1.1 (which in turn weighs about 270 Mb ;) )
I see. That wasn't very obvious from your webpage.

However, I have found another problem: the game doesn't register when I press the TAB key (my wireless mouse works fine, though...)

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#10 Andy La Rubin

Andy La Rubin

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:09 AM

View PostJanichsan, on April 30th 2009, 01:47 PM, said:

However, I have found another problem: the game doesn't register when I press the TAB key

What do you mean by that? You can't activate afterburner in the game? If it is the case, then please be aware, that the afterburner is engaged only if the engine is working. So you need to use afterburner button in conjunction with, for example, accelerate forward button.

The main advantage coming from this is that you can use afterburner to accelerate backwards too ;)

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:15 AM

View PostAndy La Rubin, on April 30th 2009, 12:09 PM, said:

What do you mean by that? You can't activate afterburner in the game? If it is the case, then please be aware, that the afterburner is engaged only if the engine is working. So you need to use afterburner button in conjunction with, for example, accelerate forward button.
Ah, that bloody instructor didn't say that. Okay, thanks. :thumbsup:

#12 Andy La Rubin

Andy La Rubin

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:59 AM

View PostJanichsan, on April 30th 2009, 02:15 PM, said:

Ah, that bloody instructor didn't say that. Okay, thanks. :thumbsup:
He's just a mechanic, please forgive him :blush:

#13 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

I've been toying around with the early betas of this game that were posted on the forums; I last downloaded IFH a few weeks ago and noticed that I'm *still* hit with the annoying bug where the game doesn't respond to any keyboard input. Has that been fixed?
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#14 Andy La Rubin

Andy La Rubin

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

View Postrampancy, on April 30th 2009, 10:24 PM, said:

I've been toying around with the early betas of this game that were posted on the forums; I last downloaded IFH a few weeks ago and noticed that I'm *still* hit with the annoying bug where the game doesn't respond to any keyboard input. Has that been fixed?

Probably not. Could you send me (larubin at gmail) a core_log.txt file from the application bundle/Contents/MacOS directory to investigate? Also, does the game respond to the mouse input?

#15 CaryMG

CaryMG

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:02 AM

It's a stunningly beautiful game but during traing while trying to rescue the Enchanter the flightinstructor [FI]
tells me to fly to the Io beacon and fly along the blue dotted line[BDL].
As near as I can figure that means aligning the BDL & the directionalarrow but nothing happens -- no dialog from the FI, etc., nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

:)

#16 Andy La Rubin

Andy La Rubin

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:52 AM

There are topics in our game forum dealing with the navigation in hyperspace. Please read one of them. There are also some other tips regarding the Enchanter here. I hope this would help.

#17 Andy La Rubin

Andy La Rubin

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

Hello everyone!

Release Candidate 3 is just released.

Gameplay
- Power plants added to all capital ships for realistic weapons usage
Bug fixes
- Fixed the non-firing EA station and EA Hyperion turrets
- Fixed mission 2 script error (EAS Monolith won't jump out if cheats are enabled)

#18 Marvin_Arnold

Marvin_Arnold

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:16 AM

Links are dead. Site is dead.

Had to dig through archive.org and use common sense and finally got it:

rc3 can still be found here.

EDIT: found out it's not dead, site has "just" moved without redirecting: ifhgame.ru

Edited by Marvin_Arnold, 05 March 2011 - 03:27 AM.
Fixed the URL.

#19 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

Interesting necro. Thanks for the updated info Marvin.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#20 Marvin_Arnold

Marvin_Arnold

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

View PostFrigidman, on 05 March 2011 - 11:30 AM, said:

Interesting necro. Thanks for the updated info Marvin.
I thought, since it's practically a one-of-a-kind, it might still interest people. Besides, as I always say, it's not necro as long as it's on the first page...  ;)