11 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:19 AM

Well if you haven't heard of Uniwar, its basically a turn based strategy inspired by advanced wars on a hex tile grid. There's three races, each with their own units and so forth.

Anyhow its $2.99 (I scored it for the incredible $1) and it has online play. Since its turn based the turns can be taken pretty leisurely, with up to 3 days between making a move (if you want). Just fire up the app, take your turn and close. It'll e-mail you if you like to tell you its your turn. :D

I've been digging the online play and its probably the game that's kept me hooked the longest because of the MP. During my office day, I wage epic wars with the humans ousting the cyborgs a strategic alliance with the insectiods with my friend Walt (who's in Alaska). Its pretty great as it doesn't demand a lot of attention and turns can be played in a minute or two.

Anyhow I give this the highest recommendation as its the best game on the iPhone save just maybe Zen Bound. In any case, I'd love to play against some more IMGers, get some FFA or team based games going on.  

Who's with me?
http://toucharcade.c...lievable-price/
the IMG audio guy...

#2 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:53 AM

A co-worker of mine has it and he's digging it too. I might check it out as well.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:30 AM

I bought it last week (about on the last day it was on sale, as it seems), but haven't really sunk my teeth into it yet. The first impression was pretty decent, though.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 MarshallBanana

MarshallBanana

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:35 PM

I recently downloaded UniWar onto my iPhone and I'm amazed at how much they put into this game!  I spent a lot of time in the campaign so I could learn how to play, then I went online and tried playing against others.  I'm getting whooped though :S  But it's addicting!!

#5 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

I have it!  Nice game.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#6 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

Just got it. This might be the first iPhone game I've treid that holds my attention. I generally don't play games on it.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#7 MarshallBanana

MarshallBanana

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:38 AM

My handle is 'Team Red' incase anyone wants a match.  i love this game so much :)

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:39 PM

I finally got around to play the game a bit more, and it's quite nice. I found the enemy AI rather erratic, though, and the campaign mode is completely imbalanced. But there's potential for a nice little war on the go.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:57 PM

The AI just builds a certain number of each unit in a certain order no matter what you do.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:20 AM

View PostDark_Archon, on May 12th 2009, 02:57 AM, said:

The AI just builds a certain number of each unit in a certain order no matter what you do.
:cool: That's even dumber than I thought...

#11 MarshallBanana

MarshallBanana

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:24 AM

View PostDark_Archon, on May 11th 2009, 05:57 PM, said:

Not true.  It depends on where your units are on the board really.  if your near they're bases, and they have enough money, they will build tanks and defenses units.  If your not and they have enough money, they will build air units if available or long range weapons.  Perfect example is Mission 7.  If you send your units up near the bases, they will build Pinzars, if not, and you just defend your bases, youll be bombarded with the wasps and ant guys.

#12 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:56 PM

have had this for a while and I am totally hooked.