#21 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

View PostJanichsan, on April 16th 2009, 11:03 AM, said:

That's exactly the point: Transgaming advertises Cider as solution for Mac "ports" without having the original developer to hand over the code to anyone else
I'm pretty sure that if the devs were going to go that way, they might be expected to change a few things. Copy protection comes to mind. They still wouldn't have to hand over the code to anyone else.

You'd wish ... "Bad luck for you."
Then I guess they do suck.

#22 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:57 PM

View Postbobbob, on April 16th 2009, 09:51 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure that if the devs were going to go that way, they might be expected to change a few things. Copy protection comes to mind.
Not necessarily: Transgaming's biggest "achievement" was to make our favourite DRM mechanism SecuROM work via a WINE derivative. Vide Spore.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#23 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

But there's one good thing about Transgaming's inability to "port" all PC games to the Mac "in a few days or weeks":
More and more publishers (be it traditional Mac houses, Windows-centric companies or newcomers) start doing
native ports again, e. g. VP (X3), Coladia Games, Hothead/Playgreenhouse, and - to much suprise - Microids.
:)

And as it seems, even Aspyr might enjoy a "comeback" this year.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#24 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:48 PM

My experience with Cider games so far has been a good one. The biggest problem is the DRM. Raving Rabbids & Spore take forever to launch. Once they do however you can't tell it isn't a native Mac game.

As far as EA goes they will always have one thing I admire them for. Future Cop LAPD, made on a Mac and only released as a hybrid disc to boost sales with PC owners.