• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

Just tried it out on my Mac:

BootCamp - Works perfectly
VMWare - Doesn't render battleground, unplayable
Crossover - Doesn't render 3D objects in map, playable but a bit slow.

Hopefully GameTree Online will come out with a Cider version soon.

Going to try the NDS version next week and see if it's up to par if it is I might play that instead, have something to do on the tube.

#2 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:17 AM

How is the game by the way? I really enjoyed the original Puzzle Quest but didn't care too much for Galactrix from the available browser demo on the official site.

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:21 AM

View PostHansi, on February 25th 2009, 11:43 PM, said:

Just tried it out on my Mac:

BootCamp - Works perfectly
VMWare - Doesn't render battleground, unplayable

Hopefully GameTree Online will come out with a Cider version soon.
I could add my Parallels experience with the demo to that: works, no obvious flaws, but pretty slow.

BTW: Maybe you have noticed that Aspyr appears to be the distributor for the PC version (at least in North America). Maybe there's a small glimmer of hope for a native port. (On the other hand, Aspyr has only registered the PC version with the ESRB, while a Mac version is listed - along with all other versions - as published by D3Publisher of America.)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 Crunchy in milk

Crunchy in milk

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:01 AM

View PostHansi, on February 25th 2009, 10:43 PM, said:

Going to try the NDS version next week and see if it's up to par if it is I might play that instead, have something to do on the tube.

DS Version is a poorly thought out port. It looks bad, sounds bad and the layout is awful.

All 3D elements are replaced,  normally I'd praise this as the DS just can't do 3D well, but rather than render attractive 2D replacements, its just popsnizzlety placeholder art.  The 2D art that did make it over from the PC version, is heavily and poorly compressed.  Think high compression jpeg artifacts.

Sound is also heavily compressed.

There are only 2 pilots, the blonde lad and the auburn female.  Purple haired chick and funky black guy make no appearance.

There's no dialogue, the charming ship's voice that helps out during battles is missing.

Conversation is handled over both screens,  You're on the top screen talking to the empty right of screen, the npc on the bottom screen talking to the empty left of screen.  Its a little unconventional.

Battle screen is functional if not pretty.  I miss the voice though.

Most annoying is the loading screens.  They're everywhere.  You'd think with a pair of screens you see over and over they'd smarten them up but instead both screens go black and white text blinks at bottom right.  It looks so cheap.

A shame really.

#5 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

View PostCrunchy in milk, on February 26th 2009, 04:01 AM, said:

Most annoying is the loading screens.  They're everywhere.  You'd think with a pair of screens you see over and over they'd smarten them up but instead both screens go black and white text blinks at bottom right.  It looks so cheap.

The game would be quite fun for me if it wasn't for this fact. I played quite a bit yesterday, but those ever-present loading screens just kill it for me. Clearly, the DS version should have been handled by the original PQ porters, since Infinite Interactive obviously aren't too familiar with the platform. Seriously, I have never seen that many loading screens in any DS game. Every change in the game follows with 3-10 second pause. Not very pick-up-and-play friendly.

Also, a good number of times the game won't recognize your stylus touching the screen or misinterpret it.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:23 PM

That's a pity. I thought about getting that game, but preferrably for the DS. But seeing that this version is so messed up, that'll mean it's a no-go. :(

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Crunchy in milk

Crunchy in milk

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:55 AM

View PostHansi, on February 26th 2009, 09:43 AM, said:

Crossover Games 7.1.1 Runs it very slowly.
Crossover Games 7.2.0 Runs it much better but still no ship or planet graphics on the map screen.

I can't get it to run fullscreen native at 1920 x 1200.

I find the hex grid with direction control many times more addictive than COTW/bejeweled vertical drop.

#8 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:56 AM

View PostJanichsan, on February 26th 2009, 01:23 PM, said:

That's a pity. I thought about getting that game, but preferrably for the DS. But seeing that this version is so messed up, that'll mean it's a no-go. :(

Same here.  This sounds very disappointing.  I wonder if it'd be cleaned up for an iPhone version?
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#9 Crunchy in milk

Crunchy in milk

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:38 AM

After a visit to the infinite interactive forum, the complaints, bugs and details of debugging code left in/on, graphical glitches not to mention the many 'handy' hacks users are coming out with to fix glaring short comings, a mac version isn't going to suffer in the slightest by a delay.  Its a worry how shonky this release is, I hope its not indicative of a struggling developer.  COTW just oozed quality and charm but galactrix is a real stumble.

#10 digt

digt

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:56 AM

I was hoping to get this one as I am a big fan of the first one. A lot of reviews talk about the game being too random and hard to care about.  It's great to hear everyone's take on it thought I'm sad to hear the DS version is watered down so much.

#11 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:31 AM

Although disappointed by the flash demo on the official site, after having seen Good Game's review tonight, I think I will pick this one up once a Mac port is available.

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

View PostJanichsan, on February 26th 2009, 09:21 AM, said:

BTW: Maybe you have noticed that Aspyr appears to be the distributor for the PC version (at least in North America). Maybe there's a small glimmer of hope for a native port. (On the other hand, Aspyr has only registered the PC version with the ESRB, while a Mac version is listed - along with all other versions - as published by D3Publisher of America.)
Nice little change here: Aspyr now also has registered the Mac version of the game at the ESRB. A native port coming along?

#13 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

View PostJanichsan, on March 12th 2009, 09:25 PM, said:

Nice little change here: Aspyr now also has registered the Mac version of the game at the ESRB. A native port coming along?

With the track record I've had wtih Aspyr's games over the last three years I was hoping for just a Cider port by transgaming. These Cider ports seem to be working better than some of Aspyr's titles.

#14 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

View PostHansi, on March 12th 2009, 10:34 PM, said:

With the track record I've had wtih Aspyr's games over the last three years I was hoping for just a Cider port by transgaming. These Cider ports seem to be working better than some of Aspyr's titles.
Considering that Transgaming never bothered to fix the problems in the first PuzzleQuest (and then even messed up the iPhone port), I'd rather have someone else doing it.

#15 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

View PostJanichsan, on March 12th 2009, 09:56 PM, said:

Considering that Transgaming never bothered to fix the problems in the first PuzzleQuest (and then even messed up the iPhone port), I'd rather have someone else doing it.

They did release two updates: http://www.versiontr...fo/macosx/36113 and fixed the iPhone port quickly (Aspyr has been taking forever with all their patches and most of the time they break more than they fix...)

#16 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

View PostHansi, on March 12th 2009, 11:49 PM, said:

They did release two updates: http://www.versiontr...fo/macosx/36113...
No, they didn't. Version 1.0.1 of that game is the version Transgaming themselves sell via GameTreeOnline. Version 1.0.2 is the version sold via the MacGameStore. Both versions are identical except for the DRM wrapper. There is no version 1.0.0.

... and fixed the iPhone port quickly
Only when you call four weeks "quickly" and consider that they had to withdraw the game completely from the App Store for being severely broken in the meantime. And while the iPhone port might be a little less buggy now, it's still flawed.

#17 jmelrose

jmelrose

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

View PostJanichsan, on March 12th 2009, 04:04 PM, said:

Only when you call four weeks "quickly" and consider that they had to withdraw the game completely from the App Store for being severely broken in the meantime. And while the iPhone port might be a little less buggy now, it's still flawed.

Just to update, this post I would consider highly misleading...

There have been multiple updates to Puzzle Quest. I am unaware that it has been pulled from the App Store, I bought it the day it came out, and have enjoyed it immensely.  It was updated with version 1.1 and 1.2 fairly soon after it came out. I'm sure they were trying to roll as many bug fixes into as few releases as possible, which I appreciate. It is definitely not "Severely broken" (and never has been) and the publisher has continued to address issues as they are brought to them, in my experience as an owner and fan of Puzzle Quest.  In addition, the publisher recently make a free update which doubles the length of the game (from "Chapter 1" to "Chapters 1 & 2", essentially the entire game sans expansion pack, which is rumored to be Chapter 3). They have addressed issues with the readiblity of the font and the overall ease of gameplay. It was worth the price at Version 1.0. Now at version 1.3, it's a steal. I advise anyone interested to check the review of the 1.3 version at Toucharcade.com if they are interested.

By the way, this was my second time buying the game (first was XBL version), and I have a LOT of fun with the iPhone's port. I recommend it. I am hoping Galactrix comes out for the iPHone as well, although I think I'd rather be able to play it on my laptop for when I'm on-the-go, and want a bigger-screen experience.
"Time won't leave me as I am,
But time won't take the boy out of this man."
-U2, City of Blinding Lights

#18 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

Well, a game that randomly deletes your character can be called "severely broken", wouldn't you agree? It took Transgaming nearly four weeks to address that problem (from the game's original release mid-December to mid-January), while the game wasn't available in the App Store in the meantime.

Secondly, with all that patches, the graphics are still blurry and the framerate awful (both a result of Transgaming's extremly clever decision not to adapt the game's graphics properly to the iPhone's resolution beforehand but to let the program draw them at a much higher resolution and then scale them down to fit them on the iPhone's screen!!!). If that does not qualify as a shabby and hacked to-gether port, I don't know what does.

The only wise decision TG made, was to drop their original idea to squeeze as much money as possible of the iPhone version by splitting it into three distinct parts.

I'm glad for you that you are happy with Transgaming's shovelware, but that doesn't change that the iPhone port is the worst version of this good game.

#19 badr

badr

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:05 PM

My wife bought the game for PC, so I decided to give it a try on Crossover on Mac.  I have a Macbook Pro with 2gb Ram and Intel Core Duo 2.0ghz.

The game installs with no problem, but once you play it, its slow.  Tar Slow.  Ive been playing it on the mac to see if by optimizing Crossover it will run better, but its no use.

I am going to wait till I can buy it on xboxlive or till she is done to play it.  Its not unplayable on Crossover, but its annoying.  specially the slowness affects you when you are doing the harder puzzles.

On the PC it runs flawlessly.  We are running Windows 7 beta and it runs fine.

Pity it doesnt run better, cuz i like sci fi rpgs and puzzle games.

Oh well;

B.

#20 Omaha Sternberg

Omaha Sternberg

iGame Radio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:49 PM

View PostJanichsan, on March 23rd 2009, 06:34 AM, said:

Secondly, with all that patches, the graphics are still blurry and the framerate awful (both a result of Transgaming's extremly clever decision not to adapt the game's graphics properly to the iPhone's resolution beforehand but to let the program draw them at a much higher resolution and then scale them down to fit them on the iPhone's screen!!!). If that does not qualify as a shabby and hacked to-gether port, I don't know what does.

Having not experienced the first two versions (I'm currently on v 1.3) I can't comment on whether the graphics were blurry or the framerate awful for those. But that is not what I'm experiencing for 1.3. The graphics pretty crisp for a detailed game of this nature on an iPhone, and the framerate not anything different from what I normally experience with most apps on the iPhone.

Now, the touch screen management is horrendous. Having to touch the screen three, four, five times over and over again to get a tool to function, bring up a character's profile, etc shows that somehow in the port the touch function was left behind.
Omaha Sternberg
Host
iGame Radio