Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

I want some more games to play on this screaming G5. I'm loving shredding Doom 3 and Quake 4 on ultra quality, but I need more.

What are all the good action and shooter titles from say 2004 to 2009 that will run on a PowerPC machine?

I have Halo, Unreal Tournament 2004, Star Wars: Battlefront, Doom 3, Quake 4, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, and Soldier of Fortune 2 already, and I intend to get Call of Duty 2. What else is out there that was cool?

For that matter, if there are any good non-shooters from recently I'd love to hear about those too. Got C&C Generals Deluxe covered under strategy and I intend to nab Civilization 4 and Age of Empires III. RTSes, RPGs, whatever there is, I'm interested.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#2 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:05 PM

Prey...not awesome, but not terrible either like some people claim.

--Eric

#3 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

Personally, I'm still a fan of Ghost Recon although the graphics are starting to age. Another tactical shooter is First to Fight which seems to have pretty favourable reviews and has PC<>Mac play, although I've never played. The original Splinter Cell was also brought to Mac. Delta Force: Black Hawk Down is another shooter although it's reviews seem more mixed.

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

Prey was awesome.

Here are some games in on my computer that you didn't mention that you would probably like.

Call of Duty (1)
Close Combat First to Fight
Doomday OSX/OpenGL app for Doom and Hexen WADs
Eschalon Book 1
Max Payne
Medal of Honor
Nethergate - Resurrection
Neverwinter Nights
No One Lives Forever
Postal 2
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

View Postltcommander.data, on February 12th 2009, 07:25 PM, said:

Personally, I'm still a fan of Ghost Recon although the graphics are starting to age. Another tactical shooter is First to Fight which seems to have pretty favourable reviews and has PC<>Mac play, although I've never played. The original Splinter Cell was also brought to Mac. Delta Force: Black Hawk Down is another shooter although it's reviews seem more mixed.
Got all of those except BHD, which I didn't like anyway. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 12th 2009, 07:30 PM, said:

Prey was awesome.

Here are some games in on my computer that you didn't mention that you would probably like.

Call of Duty (1)
Close Combat First to Fight

Doomday OSX/OpenGL app for Doom and Hexen WADs
Eschalon Book 1
Max Payne
Medal of Honor
Nethergate - Resurrection
Neverwinter Nights

No One Lives Forever
Postal 2

Already have the crossed out ones. Will look into the others, though. Thanks!

Anyone else have any more?
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#6 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

Well being a Trekkie I'd be remiss if I didn't point out Star Trek Elite Force II. For RTS there is also Rise of Nations Gold and RPG there is Fable, which Feral was considerate enough to include PPC support. Battlefield 1942 hasn't been mentioned, but seeing the number of shooters you have, I'm guessing you've already tried it.

Other than that I can't think of anymore off the top of my head. Nowadays I generally just stick to Starcraft and UT2004.

I wonder what are the chances that UT3, Gears of War or Bioshock will be PPC compatible? Your G5 could handle them, although not many other PPCs can. Those seem to be the big shooters that are confirmed to be coming to Mac soon. And Wolfenstein which while not announced probably will too seeing most of id's IP come to Mac.

#7 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:32 PM

The Penumbra series.  Although I got stuck on the 9th level of Penumbra Requiem, since for some reason it's a slideshow (like 1fps at best), when none of the other levels have a problem.  It's basically just an expansion pack for Black Plague and has very little to do with the first two anyway, so it could be skipped if you don't want to have an unfinishable game (it is pretty neat though up until level 9 anyway).  Although I heard that it depends on the machine; some Macs have no problems, but they seem to be of the Intel variety.

--Eric

#8 Togglemeister

Togglemeister

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

Quake 3 (lots of mods)
True Crime Streets of LA (for entertainment purposes)
Medal of Honor
(Now) Late 2013 27" 3.4 ghz iMac, stock configurations.
(Then) 2005 Powermac G5 Dual Core 2.3 ghz, Leopard, 256mb nvidia 6600GT.
(Archived) DA w/Single Sonnet G4 1.4 ghz  2mb L3, Tiger, 1 gb ram, 128 mb ati 9800 pro (AGP)

#9 Malt-Pipefishes

Malt-Pipefishes

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:52 PM

Alien vs. Predator (and AvP2, by default) is still incredibly fun. The single-player campaign is one of the most terrifying I've ever experienced, (especially with the
Spoiler
) and the multiplayer is downright addicting, provided you have friends you can LAN with.
1.8Ghz Intel iMac (Q1 2006) 1.5 GB RAM, x1600 gfx card

"Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But Doctor... I am Pagliacci."

#10 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

Sid Meier's Pirates!
World of Goo
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#11 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:03 PM

Grab the updated Descent ports:

Freespace 2
http://www.edgefiles.../Freespace2.dmg

Descent 2 (D2X-XL): you can still buy a copy of the D2 cd from the Megamacs.com website
http://sourceforge.n...ease_id=449082)

Also XIII, Homeworld 2. Enemy Engaged, Postal Fudge Pack

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

All right, the investigate/to try list:

Call of Duty 2
Age of Empires III
Civilization IV
Doomday OSX
Eschalon Book 1
Postal 2
NOLF 1 & 2
Star Trek: Elite Force II
Rise of Nations
Fable
True Crime Streets of LA
Penumbra Series
Sid Meier's Pirates!
World of Goo
Freespace 2
Descent 2
XIII
Homeworld 2
Postal Fudge Pack

That a good list of goodies. Any more suggestion would be awesome. Gonna get my Mac Game on. Posted Image

Far as Q3, had it for years. I've got every Mac id game from Quake 1 to present, every Mac Epic game from the original Unreal to present, and every Mac Bungie game from O:DS to present. Got AvP 1 & 2, well... you don't get a bigger Alien/Aliens fan than me without stepping into the über-nerd segment who make plastic pulse rifles for themselves, so I have both of those games and will most certainly be buying Aliens: Colonial Marines when it's finally out. :D

Eric5h5:

#13 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

I would add "Undying" to your list. It's a horror-shooter with some modest RPG elements. It's got a really good plot, is actually effectively scary in parts, and has some excellent weapons & spells to unleash on various natural and supernatural enemies.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#14 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

Aquaria, and Domination and/or Galactic Assault (depending on how much you're into turn-based strategy games).

--Eric

#15 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:14 AM

View Postjgwdoc, on February 13th 2009, 09:22 PM, said:

I would add "Undying" to your list. It's a horror-shooter with some modest RPG elements. It's got a really good plot, is actually effectively scary in parts, and has some excellent weapons & spells to unleash on various natural and supernatural enemies.

I second that! Fantastic game and we've lots of sp maps at AppleCrypt too!

Also, i currently have installed: Aliens vs. Predator II, Assault Cube, Battlefield 1942, Call of Duty, Call Of Duty 2, Close Combat First to Fight, Cube, Cube 2, Delta Force Black Hawk Down, Doom 3, Doomsday, Halo, Medal of Honors, Myth II, Penumbra Overture, Prey, Quake 3, Quake 4, Red Faction, Soldier of Fortune II, Star Wars Battlefront, Tiki Magic Mini Golf, Undying, Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004, Wolf - True Combat Elite, Return to Castle Wolfenstein.  Also got some older games: Alien 8, Carmageddon, Islands mini golf, Jetset Willy, Manic Miner, Myth 1, Quake, Quake 2, Styx and Wolfenstein 3D.

There are other games I've got inside my cd folders somewhere that I never got around to reinstalling (since getting the bigger hard drives), like Ghost Recon, Rainbox Six, Raven Shield, Rogue Spear, Max Payne, etc

Frost - I'm going to be uploading gigabytes of sp maps for Battlefield 1942 and Delta Force BHD 'soon'. About 6GB!!
BF1942 is my favourite game atm. There are soooo many mods for this that expand upon the bog standard game. This is also something to consider i guess. I have installed:  1.43Collection, Aftermath, AIE42, Arsenal, Attrition, Band Of Brothers, Battle For Springfield, Battlefield 1942 Extended, Battlegroup42, Battle Mobile, BF40k, BF1918, BF1942 Concepts, BF High Def, BiTurbo MOD, Bushwar, Conflict in Somalia, Civil War mod, Custom Combat, DC-21CW, DC_Bluntz, DC_Extended, DC_Final, DC_Highpower, DC_MrMagoo, DC_Realism, DC FX, Dead Cities, Desert Combat, EoD, EXTREME_DC, Forgotten Hope, FH_RTR, FH DF, FH E, FH O, FH SW, Finn Wars, Finn Wars SP, fpb42, Frag field, GC MOD, GCX, Intensity, Interstate Racing!!, Killer Commando, Lot Rising Sun, Manhatten Project, Next Threat, Norwegian Res, Operation Overkill, Ostfront, Parallel World, Pirates, Pirates SP, Real player, Santaland, sengoku, siege, siege_sp, silent heroes, Stargate_BFM, stargate_sp, Stunt Inc, surreal, The Great War, The_Secret_Road_to_Rome, The Reborn Fighters, Turbo MOD, Urban_DC, UWS, War Front, wasteland 2042, Western_War, Who Dares Wins, WWII Reality, XWWII, zombie mod, zQuake.
More than enough just in this one game to keep you going ;-)  ....and yes, someday i'll get around to sharing these on AppleCrypt Mods. Uploading at 60kb/sec is a drag!

Strider
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#16 Malt-Pipefishes

Malt-Pipefishes

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:21 PM

View Poststriderdm1, on February 14th 2009, 08:14 AM, said:

I second that! Fantastic game and we've lots of sp maps at AppleCrypt too!

Also, i currently have installed: Aliens vs. Predator II, Assault Cube, Battlefield 1942, Call of Duty, Call Of Duty 2, Close Combat First to Fight, Cube, Cube 2, Delta Force Black Hawk Down, Doom 3, Doomsday, Halo, Medal of Honors, Myth II, Penumbra Overture, Prey, Quake 3, Quake 4, Red Faction, Soldier of Fortune II, Star Wars Battlefront, Tiki Magic Mini Golf, Undying, Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004, Wolf - True Combat Elite, Return to Castle Wolfenstein.  Also got some older games: Alien 8, Carmageddon, Islands mini golf, Jetset Willy, Manic Miner, Myth 1, Quake, Quake 2, Styx and Wolfenstein 3D.

There are other games I've got inside my cd folders somewhere that I never got around to reinstalling (since getting the bigger hard drives), like Ghost Recon, Rainbox Six, Raven Shield, Rogue Spear, Max Payne, etc

Frost - I'm going to be uploading gigabytes of sp maps for Battlefield 1942 and Delta Force BHD 'soon'. About 6GB!!
BF1942 is my favourite game atm. There are soooo many mods for this that expand upon the bog standard game. This is also something to consider i guess. I have installed:  1.43Collection, Aftermath, AIE42, Arsenal, Attrition, Band Of Brothers, Battle For Springfield, Battlefield 1942 Extended, Battlegroup42, Battle Mobile, BF40k, BF1918, BF1942 Concepts, BF High Def, BiTurbo MOD, Bushwar, Conflict in Somalia, Civil War mod, Custom Combat, DC-21CW, DC_Bluntz, DC_Extended, DC_Final, DC_Highpower, DC_MrMagoo, DC_Realism, DC FX, Dead Cities, Desert Combat, EoD, EXTREME_DC, Forgotten Hope, FH_RTR, FH DF, FH E, FH O, FH SW, Finn Wars, Finn Wars SP, fpb42, Frag field, GC MOD, GCX, Intensity, Interstate Racing!!, Killer Commando, Lot Rising Sun, Manhatten Project, Next Threat, Norwegian Res, Operation Overkill, Ostfront, Parallel World, Pirates, Pirates SP, Real player, Santaland, sengoku, siege, siege_sp, silent heroes, Stargate_BFM, stargate_sp, Stunt Inc, surreal, The Great War, The_Secret_Road_to_Rome, The Reborn Fighters, Turbo MOD, Urban_DC, UWS, War Front, wasteland 2042, Western_War, Who Dares Wins, WWII Reality, XWWII, zombie mod, zQuake.
More than enough just in this one game to keep you going ;-)  ....and yes, someday i'll get around to sharing these on AppleCrypt Mods. Uploading at 60kb/sec is a drag!

Strider
1.8Ghz Intel iMac (Q1 2006) 1.5 GB RAM, x1600 gfx card

"Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But Doctor... I am Pagliacci."

#17 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:33 PM

Man, double thanks for recommending Doomsday to me, tBC. I forgot how fun Doom was. Now I really regret only ever buying Doom 2 back in 1996, which is also the last time I played Doom (holy popsnizzle, almost half my life ago).

Time to scour eBay for Mac Ultimate Doom, Final Doom, and Hexen 1 & 2 (among other things).

View PostMalt-Pipefishes, on February 14th 2009, 08:21 PM, said:

That's nothing, if I listed all the games I have on my G5 and G4 stretching back to the 1980s it'd probably crash the forum. Some of them are just too old to work anymore, though... I need to set aside about $100 and revamp my SuperMac S900 and get it going again for some classic Mac gaming alongside loading up on the more recent games I've missed.

And that's just Mac games, nevermind what I collected over the years for the Genesis, Jaguar, and Playstations 1 through 3.

Yes. I still need more games even with that. I have a disease, I know.

Eric5h5:

#18 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

View PostMalt-Pipefishes, on February 15th 2009, 02:21 AM, said:

erm.. sorry i'm not sure what to make of this reply.  :unsure:

Frost - make that list of games all the way from the 80s! Should keep you busy.. heh. The only way I could do that is to list all my ZX Spectrum games, it was lonnnng before I got a Mac lol. (and yep, i've still got me 'ol ZX games. Hidden away in the attic )  :blush:
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#19 super_kev

super_kev

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

Check out Red Faction; it was pretty fun and had a patch that gave it OS X support, although it might be a little more dated then what you are looking for.  BF1942 was a blast with the DC_Final & Eve of Destruction modifications... wish it ran smoothly on my Mac Pro.  :(

#20 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6074 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:29 PM

Got Red Faction back when it was new. :D

In fact, I was just playing that again recently.

Eric5h5: