#21 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

Zen Bound

Its probably the best avent-garde gaming experience to be had. Its a spendier game at $5 but also much higher quality, and worth more. It has beautiful graphics, ground up controls designed for the iPhone/Touch and soundtrack that fits the mood of the game and really gives you reason to wear headphones to play. There aren't a lot of games that really offer up as much as Zen Bound at the moment. I'd say its the best game out on the iPhone and part of the movement for more avant-garde games like Fantastic Contraption, Textropolis where previous game conventions are defied and really moves towards hybrid of art + gaming like Crayon Physics. I've lost my hardcore gamer stripes years ago as I don't play many games anymore as everything seemed to be more or less the same. I started wondering if gaming could change but strangely the iPhone seems to be the home to a whole new level of experimentation that originally I thought the Wii might bring.  

If you're feeling like you'll never play an original game again, looking for the best iPhone game, like unconventional games, or a fan of just pretty things, Zen Bound is the game to get.
http://www.slidetopl...en-bound-review

So far my top games:
Zen Bound
I Love Katamari
Textropolis
iDracula
Brain Challange

Game worth checking out
Fantastic Contraption
Ancient Frog
iBowl
Crystal Defenders
7 Cities
Field Runners
Crayon Physics
GeoDefense (assuming the 1.1 update that was submitted adjusts  the difficulty)

Games that I'll never play again
Westward ho
The Creeps
BiPlane
Tower Bloxx Deluxe (Thank you demo for making me aware not to buy, fun for like 5 minutes but I can't imagine paying for it)
Slotz Racer
Pharos IV

Games I'd love to see on the iPhone
Civilization 4 or Civilization Revolution..... WITH ONLINE PLAY!
TieFighter
Fallout (1 or 2 or original game)
Pong: The Next Level
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (assuming they got the controls down)
Final Fantasy 7 (not an RPG gamer but I think it'd translate to the iPhone well)
the IMG audio guy...

#22 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

I'm amazed by how many hours a week I spend gaming on my iPhone--even when I'm at home, just a short walk from my full computer!

Playing with a pocketable device on the couch, or in bed, or while waiting for something is very easy and inviting--as long as truly good games are there. And they are! I am surprised.

#23 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

Recently playing: Rogue Touch and Tap Tap Revenge 2. Especially the latter one I can highly recommend: it's free and you now can download new tracks (also for free – although I have to admit I hardly know any of the artists).

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#24 Naman

Naman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

I recommend Bobby Carrot pretty highly. Once you get past the kind of kiddie graphics, it's a pretty deep and challenging puzzle game. Reminds me of Chip's Challenge.

#25 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:59 PM

I'll put in a good word for a couple of new ones:

Sentinel (TD--with too few enemy types but some interesting twists, and the best graphics)
Heavy Mach
SkyCoaster 3D (not a game exactly, just random tracks to ride--but it's fast, has good sound, and a level editor is coming)

And there's a word game called WordFu, with funny kung fu sound effects. Judging from the video, it looks like it might be going on my short list.

#26 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:34 AM

Yeah, I bought Sentinel. Its one of the better Tower D games but the difficulty on medium is even difficult and hard is just damn hard. Its a little less strategy oriented as there isn't a lot of ways to really stack towers

There's a few games to look forward to like Stair Dismount Touch, the classic game where you push the dude down the stairs and the stylish Legion of Amon which is a Diablo clone promising the world.

Also this seems to be a good deal, 5 games in one app
http://toucharcade.c...-fingers-bundle

Hopefully this will start a bit of a trend for smaller games and allow indie devs to continue to get revenue.

More than anything, right now, is the iPhone gaming really needs a killer app or two and a major gaming website, Toucharcade is more blog than anything else, Slidetoplay is nice but not as professional as some reviewer sites although seems to be getting better but mostly they just don't have the staff to review as much as one would like, IGN reviews major apps and iLounge does as well but it'd be really nice to see a website that lets me funnel the crap and reviews loads of games. We're starting to hit a bit of a threshold where the iPhone is being over inundated with everyone trying to cash in.
the IMG audio guy...

#27 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:08 AM

View PostGreg Gant, on March 10th 2009, 03:34 AM, said:

More than anything, right now, is the iPhone gaming really needs a killer app or two and a major gaming website, Toucharcade is more blog than anything else, Slidetoplay is nice but not as professional as some reviewer sites although seems to be getting better but mostly they just don't have the staff to review as much as one would like, IGN reviews major apps and iLounge does as well but it'd be really nice to see a website that lets me funnel the crap and reviews loads of games. We're starting to hit a bit of a threshold where the iPhone is being over inundated with everyone trying to cash in.

Check out FingerGaming.  I haven't been through it thoroughly yet, myself.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#28 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

Really, the MAIN gaming "site" for iPhone games/reviews (and an iPhone-friendly one at that) will always be the Games page within iTunes! But lots of other sites are cropping up too, which is cool. Formal reviews and user reviews are both important--in very different ways.

View PostGreg Gant, on March 10th 2009, 03:34 AM, said:

Yeah, I bought Sentinel. Its one of the better Tower D games but the difficulty on medium is even difficult and hard is just damn hard. Its a little less strategy oriented as there isn't a lot of ways to really stack towers

I haven't tackled map 3 yet, but I got through the first 2 OK. At first I thought Beam towers weren't much use, but I've learned to respect them! They slow down enemies, for one thing. And Sentinel has a couple twists I like: the barriers to defend, the repair drones, and the ability to earn interest on unspent cash. (I'm now earning over $140,000 PER WAVE on an Endless game. If only that money was real.)

If you want to talk hard, geoDefense is brutal! Partly because it's just plain hard (though they added a Novice mode now in settings) and partly because the strategies are surprisingly different from other TD games, and old TB habits will make you die hard. Brutal but fun. And each of the (many) maps calls for different tactics--the tower prices even vary--which adds a puzzle-like element.

#29 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, I've found myself playing GeoDefense the most lately, I've completed all the easy maps and several of the medium on regular difficulty and they really do more to mess with the games mechanics like pricing units differently on some maps, which makes it probably the most interesting to me at the moment. Sentinel it took me a few games to learn the mechanic but the games last rather long for a tower D game.

There's a few maps that I'm at a total loss for strategy for on some of the later maps, it seems like things go fine for the first few waves and suddenly the creeps have health that I can't even touch regardless of tower placement/combinations.  Sentinel is just okay
the IMG audio guy...

#30 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

FlightControl by Firemint rocks!

And it's on sale too right now. Grab it now!

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#31 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:34 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on April 2nd 2009, 03:00 PM, said:

Love this game, and so do my sons.  My personal best is 65 safely landed.

Here's a plug for any baseball enthusiast out there = 9 Innings Baseball.  Great little game.

#32 coolfrost

coolfrost

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:36 AM

People interested in Word games i would suggest you to check out WordsWorth

#33 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:52 PM

Or Word Fu. The sounds are hilarious :)

#34 ilexas

ilexas

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:47 AM

Gas tycoon

have not read anything here about this one !

Looks like fun and has no time limit and its 99c

and the reviews in the store are good - anyone tried it ?

#35 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:10 AM

OK, I found a new joy in the store today! I actually wrote the developer and told him it was a blast.

iKite ... fun fun game. Buy a copy right now!!!

I like kites though.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#36 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

Wow, it's REALLY quiet around here. Probably my most played game is Solebon Solitaire. I thoroughly enjoyed the Star Wars The Force Unleashed, and it's only $5.99 now. Pretty good for at least 3 hours of game play. Assassins's Creed looks pretty sweet, and I think I'm going to buy the new Star Trek game too, since I enjoyed the movie.

#37 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:49 AM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on May 13th 2009, 01:36 PM, said:

Wow, it's REALLY quiet around here. Probably my most played game is Solebon Solitaire.

Same here.  Perfect for the "library."

I've been playing 9 Innings Baseball quite a bit.  The new RPG Underworld looks tempting.

OT:  Playing CEaW and History Great Empires Rome on my DS.

#38 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

Peggle.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#39 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:28 PM

View Postdojoboy, on May 13th 2009, 01:49 PM, said:

Same here.  Perfect for the "library."

Lucky thing they don't have Civ on the iPhone, or you'd probably die from deep vein thrombosis!

#40 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on May 13th 2009, 03:28 PM, said:

Lucky thing they don't have Civ on the iPhone, or you'd probably die from deep vein thrombosis!

Yikes!  Then I hope it is never brought over to the iPhone/touch.