14 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:07 AM

Macgamer has posted a preview of Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time, Presto's enhanced DVD rerelease of the game for Mac OS X. JP3 continues the story of the Temporal Security Agency and Agent Five. The enhanced version combines the contents of the original four CDs onto one DVD, and features completely remastered graphics and cinematics.

The new Apple computers with the Intel processor have one major drawback ó they can no longer use the Mac Classic operating system. This meant that Macintosh Journeyman fans were out of luck.

Until now.

Tommy Yune and company have released a DVD-ROM version of Legacy of Time that is fully compatible with the Macintosh OSX.

I tested it on a Mac Mini with the Tiger OS 10.4.11.

The gameís a snap to install. Once the DVD loads, installation is simply a matter of drag-and-drop into a selected folder. Simply click on the icon to launch the game. Itís easy to put an alias on the desktop or to create one in the OS dock.

Thereís also a 18-page manual in a .PDF format.

Upon launch, a dialogue asked me about screen resolution. My choices were keep my existing resolution (I keep mine at 1024 x 768) or go to 800 x 400 or 640 x 480. This is obviously a holdover from the early days of video resolution. I tried all three and found 800 x 600 to work best, although the game recommends 600 x 480.

This gives something of a restricted view, but it doesnít seriously impact play.
Read the full preview at the site listed below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8042 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:44 AM

:blink: The Journeyman Project is alive? I'm impressed.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1998 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:17 AM

Where can I buy this, NAOW!

I'm a bit confused, is it a new DVD release or have they just updated the application and you have to have an old dvd. The only information I can find is that a DVD version came bundled with some old Macintoshes.

Both the Inside Mac Games article and the linked article at MacGamer are slim on how I can actually get a hold of this update. Even the MacGamer article links to some archive that makes no mention of an updated Mac OS X native version of this game.

A little more direction on the how and the where would be nice, since IMG is mainly linking to another site I'm looking at you MacGamer.   :glare:
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3447 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

View Postmacdude22, on February 10th 2009, 10:17 AM, said:

Where can I buy this, NAOW!

I'm a bit confused, is it a new DVD release or have they just updated the application and you have to have an old dvd. The only information I can find is that a DVD version came bundled with some old Macintoshes.

Both the Inside Mac Games article and the linked article at MacGamer are slim on how I can actually get a hold of this update. Even the MacGamer article links to some archive that makes no mention of an updated Mac OS X native version of this game.

A little more direction on the how and the where would be nice, since IMG is mainly linking to another site I'm looking at you MacGamer.   :glare:

It is not a new game, but an enhanced version on DVD for intel Macs.

From MacGamer:

Currently, the release date is on hold due to a bug caused by QuickTime 7.6.  The new version is expected to retail for under $15.00 (USD).
x

Presto is holding off on making public purchasing details just yet.  And, there is an embedded link for their blog in the MacGamer news post.

View Postmacdude22, on February 10th 2009, 10:17 AM, said:

Why didn't you ask in their forums then?  :glare:

;)
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#5 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:04 AM

#2 was awesome

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1998 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

I know it's not a new game, I've got the original Journeyman Project that I played to death when I was a kid. What I meant was is it a new retail release or simply an updated download one can get.

I don't frequent the MacGamer site, I was unaware that they had forums, nor am I inclined to sign up for more forum accounts anyway.

Somehow we are looking at a different page. When I click on the link from IMG it brings up a preview page that does not have the purchasing information you cite, nor does it have a blog link. The only link on the page I see is one to a presto support page that says it was last updated in 1998.

***Update***
I see they have this information on the front page of MacGamer. As I don't frequent their site, I had not clicked through to the front page, merely clicked through the IMG link and found my self a mite bit confused as to the status of this project. Perhaps IMG could toss in an additional link to the front page MacGamer story that has has the cost and blog information.

It's much clearer now.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 MacManX

MacManX

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:33 PM

I still have the original demo of this; it was bundled with Riven (has that ever been released for OS X?)

I've never played the full game but I enjoyed the demo. If it's available by download (or if they don't charge a fortune for international delivery) then I may pick it up :)

#8 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

Presto is still alive.......?!  What!

It's a pity they chose the crappiest of the series to rerelease.  It'd be great if they could do Pegasus Prime and Buried in Time too, as they were much more interesting and challenging.

#9 DavidM

DavidM

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:44 PM

I recall Presto did close down several years ago, perhaps they have decided to resurrect the company?

#10 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

Pegasus Prime was already a rerelease...I didn't play that one so I don't know how much of an improvement it is, but I did play the original Journeyman Project, and Legacy of Time is much more involved and interesting.  Not very hard though; I agree the Buried In Time was better, though the "look up/look down/look left/etc. etc." mechanic was rather more tedious than the free-look of Legacy of Time.

--Eric

#11 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:56 AM

Sure, but it was just a limitation of technology at the time.

Pegasus Prime was a complete remake of JMP1, but was only ever released for the Powermac.  It plays in classic, but is very hard to find.  Why bring in only the lesser, final installment of a series that is supposed to be linked from the ground up?  Most of the plot in Legacy of Time revolves around characters and events from the earlier games.

#12 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3447 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:07 AM

View PostMarble, on February 11th 2009, 08:56 AM, said:

Sure, but it was just a limitation of technology at the time.

Pegasus Prime was a complete remake of JMP1, but was only ever released for the Powermac.  It plays in classic, but is very hard to find.  Why bring in only the lesser, final installment of a series that is supposed to be linked from the ground up?  Most of the plot in Legacy of Time revolves around characters and events from the earlier games.

You may be able to get an answer at the Journeyman Project blog.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#13 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:14 AM

Interesting.  So it's mainly Quicktime's fault.

#14 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

The Journeyman Project games were fantastic. The second game in the series came bundled with my Performa 5260!  Does Apple bundle any games with their consumer Macs anymore?

#15 Agent5

Agent5

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

That's fantastic news! I imagine the "Enhanced DVD" that this and the MacGamer article mentioned is the old Remastered version that was put out on DVD for the PC when this game was originally released. It made use of the extra storage space to sharpen the visuals and double the video playback resolution. If I recall correctly, which I may not, there were also a few audio tweeks. A Mac version had a limited release as a bundle with certain iMacs, and there was an unofficial patch that made the PC version fully playable on the Mac, but these were both of the Mac Classic sort and again, it was a rather limited release...

I would be quite surprised if there was any significant additions to this game outside of being compatible with more modern Macs, considering that Presto Studios, the company that made this game, decided to exit the video game market in 2002, so I doubt there are many people actually working on this to provide improvements.

Whatever the case, it's amazing news that not only is this being re-released but is being ported to OS X, intel and all. I am now officially excited.