#21 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

View PostPegasus, on November 1st 2009, 02:44 PM, said:

You know, that's an exceptionally loooooong home stretch. Talk about unrealistic deadlines.  :rolleyes:

The title has actually been changed to "Duke Nukem and His Money".

--Eric

#22 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

View PostPegasus, on November 1st 2009, 01:44 PM, said:

You know, that's an exceptionally loooooong home stretch. Talk about unrealistic deadlines.  :rolleyes:

Saw this thread pop up and thought "Good Lord, certainly nothing has happened with A Fool and His Money!" Nice to know my concerns were for naught. But, since Peggy started a new round of dog-pile, far be it from me to forgo participation.

Maybe the home stretch is not exceptionally long. Maybe the home stretch is of normal length. Instead, consider that the proverbial bases are being run by a quadriplegiac ground sloth.  Which may be a more fitting metaphor for Cliff Johnson's programming! Find it interesting that this is an unfinished sequel to a game released 22 years ago. This would be akin to still waiting for Riven + 5 years! Found an entertaining catalog of release dates from Wiki for A Fool and His Money. I think this game is going to be OS 9 native. After initial release, the OS X patch will be posted as 'Rounding the Home Stretch' :D

#23 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

View PostRev-O, on November 1st 2009, 08:38 PM, said:

Found an entertaining catalog of release dates from Wiki for A Fool and His Money.

Is "the New England Christmas" different from regular Christmas?  That might explain things.

--Eric

#24 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:50 AM

Wow. That's probably the most sarcastic Wikipedia entry I've ever seen.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#25 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:14 AM

View PostEric5h5, on November 1st 2009, 07:13 PM, said:

Is "the New England Christmas" different from regular Christmas?  That might explain things.

--Eric
New England Christmases are much the same as Dog Christmases.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#26 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:23 PM

Been six months since our last update!

From Cliff's website: "Iíve been working on this game for seven years and my deadlines have proven to be, well, delusional."
This is, at least, a bit of refreshing insight which made me think Ol' Cliff had seen the light and was done making predictions for release dates. This made me kind of sad, thinking about losing the scant few seconds of amusement I get when I check the Fool and His Money website every 6 months or so. But, fear not, Cliff has announced that "...an October shipping date is more realistic."
BTW, apparently, the game is heading into the last lap! Not sure how 'heading into the last lap' compares to the 'rounding the home stretch' statement from two years ago. I guess ground has been lost. Rounding the home stretch would put you on the last quarter (give or take) of the last lap.  Now, two years later, he is about to undertake the last lap. Seriously now, who in Hades is programming this game? Firetrucking Sisyphus?  :lol:

#27 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:47 AM

View PostRev-O, on 06 May 2010 - 10:23 PM, said:

Been six months since our last update!

From Cliff's website: "Iíve been working on this game for seven years and my deadlines have proven to be, well, delusional."
This is, at least, a bit of refreshing insight which made me think Ol' Cliff had seen the light and was done making predictions for release dates. This made me kind of sad, thinking about losing the scant few seconds of amusement I get when I check the Fool and His Money website every 6 months or so. But, fear not, Cliff has announced that "...an October shipping date is more realistic."
BTW, apparently, the game is heading into the last lap! Not sure how 'heading into the last lap' compares to the 'rounding the home stretch' statement from two years ago. I guess ground has been lost. Rounding the home stretch would put you on the last quarter (give or take) of the last lap.  Now, two years later, he is about to undertake the last lap. Seriously now, who in Hades is programming this game? Firetrucking Sisyphus?  :lol:
Wow, first he has to go through high school with a name like Sisyphus, and then he is eternally tasked with rolling a stone up a hill.  The first one would have been enough, the second one is just piling on.  Anyway a lap is a quarter mile whereas a home stretch is the distance between 3rd base and home plate making it 90 feet.  He is working in reverse.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#28 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

So, somehow this game popped into my mind again this morning, and I checked the website just to see what the new non-deadline would be. It actually looks like he might finally release it this December. We'll see.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#29 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:32 AM

Yeah I've been checking up on it every few months. He's now posting a 1-sentence summary of his activity every week, with an indicator whether the work was according to schedule or unplanned. I wouldn't be shocked to see him slip again, but I believe if that happens he'll miss this latest ship date by weeks, not by months.

It's a shame he committed to physical delivery of the game all those years ago. That seems almost quaint now. These days he'd be able to offer it primarily electronically, save himself some money and a great deal of hassle. Oh well, at least I get a keepsake for preordering and then sticking with him all these years.

Looking forward to playing this thing!
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.