9 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:23 AM

Virtual Programming has announced the release of its newest adventure game title, A Vampyre Story. Developed by Autumn Moon Entertainment, the point and click adventure tells the tale of opera singer Mona De Lafitte who struggles with her new life after being turned into a vampire. Players help Mona in her quest to sing at the Paris Opera despite her creature of the night status.

Deep within the walls of a gloomy castle in the equally gloomy land of Draxsylvania, the young, gifted opera singer Mona De Lafitte is held captive by her tormentor, vampire Baron Shrowdy von Kiefer. Ever since she was transformed into a vampire by Shrowdy and whisked off to Draxsylvania, her greatest wish has been to return to Paris, continue her singing career, and one day become a star at the Paris Opera.

When Shrowdy fails to return from a nightly foray, she at last sees an opportunity to flee. Together with her only friend and confidant, a cheeky bat named Froderick, she escapes from her prison and tries to find her way back to Paris. During her flight through Draxsylvania, where she encounters some strange inhabitants and some even stranger challenges, Mona must learn not only to accept her vampire nature, but also to use the abilities she has acquired to her advantage.

The classic adventure "A Vampyre Story" is penned by Bill Tiller, who was involved in the creation of such milestones of the genre as "The Dig" and "The Curse of Monkey Island". Players use a point-and-click interface to direct Mona and Froderick through a richly detailed world consisting of more than 30 beautifully hand-painted locations that utilizes real time 'Multiplane' camera technology, that entice the viewer to examine and explore. On her puzzle-filled journey to Paris, Mona meets more than 20 3D-characters, ranging from the just plane silly to the very strange, in over 15 hours of brain-teasing fun.
Requirements:

Mac OS X 10.4.11 or higher Intel or PowerPC G4 CPU
1.33 GHz or better
GeForce 5200, Radeon 9600 or GMA950
64 MB VRAM
512 MB RAM
3 GB hard disk space Internet connection for registration
A Vampyre Story costs $29.95 (19.95, 29.95) and is available for purchase and download from the link below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Malt-Pipefishes

Malt-Pipefishes

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

People still play adventure games?  :huh:
1.8Ghz Intel iMac (Q1 2006) 1.5 GB RAM, x1600 gfx card

"Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But Doctor... I am Pagliacci."

#3 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

View PostMalt-Pipefishes, on February 2nd 2009, 09:39 PM, said:

Yes, I played about 6-7 in 2008. They are really coming back in numbers now but not with the old quality thought :/

#4 Lempa

Lempa

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

View PostMalt-Pipefishes, on February 2nd 2009, 10:39 PM, said:

Of course! I've just bought and are replaying Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2.
I just hope that vpltd are commited to releasing all four A Vampyre Story games.
I had no idea this series was an episodic one when I bought the game and I really want to see how it ends!

#5 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1216 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

View PostLempa, on February 2nd 2009, 03:55 PM, said:

Of course! I've just bought and are replaying Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2.
I just hope that vpltd are commited to releasing all four A Vampyre Story games.
I had no idea this series was an episodic one when I bought the game and I really want to see how it ends!

Ewwwww, it's an episodic game? For the price, hopefully it's more like a full game with multiple sequels. I'd hate to play the game to a to-be-continued non conclusion only to have the others not made. Unfortunately, if everyone waits for the the sequels to be made before purchasing, the first one won't generate enough sales to warrant the others guaranteeing the following games won't be made.
*sigh*
Mac gaming can be a cruel mistress.

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8245 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:50 AM

View PostRev-O, on February 3rd 2009, 01:11 AM, said:

Ewwwww, it's an episodic game? For the price, hopefully it's more like a full game with multiple sequels.
Relax, it is a full game. The playing time is stated as being about 15 hours. It's just that the original developers already announced a sequel before the first game was released.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:48 AM

View PostJanichsan, on February 3rd 2009, 09:50 AM, said:

Relax, it is a full game. The playing time is stated as being about 15 hours. It's just that the original developers already announced a sequel before the first game was released.

Well it's really that they cut of the ending and decided to put it in the sequel...

#8 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1216 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:54 PM

So it's a full game without an ending, which was carried over to the sequel.
Strong chance of Ewwwwww, but I'll wait for the reviews ;)

#9 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:20 AM

http://uk.gamespot.c...ary;read-review
http://www.adventure.../article/id,961
http://uk.pc.ign.com...8/938124p1.html

#10 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1216 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

View PostHansi, on February 5th 2009, 03:20 AM, said:

(You know, by linking so readily to reviews that I probably should have looked up for myself only encourages my inherent inclination towards laziness, but I really appreciate it!)

Coolness. The lack of ending bugs me, but I think this is something my daughter would love playing along with. It's firmly on the 'maybe' pile, or perhaps not so firmly on the 'yes' pile. Not on the 'absolutely no pile' tho. ;)