#21 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7240 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:06 AM

Terran Conflict is there, by the way. The new port of Reunion will be sent in three weeks or so to everyone who bought the previous ciderised "port".

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#22 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:37 PM

Of course I bought X³ and never played it...
But my question is: does X³:TC add enough extra content to warrant being the same price of the game it is an expansion pack for? If it just adds on a bit of content and/or additional campaign, the price seems fairly steep.

#23 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:20 AM

Very good news :) I bought the original X3 so I'm looking forward to getting the link in a few weeks - TC will be on my Christmas list though!

#24 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7240 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:47 AM

View PostRev-O, on October 12th 2009, 03:37 AM, said:

Of course I bought X³ and never played it...
But my question is: does X³:TC add enough extra content to warrant being the same price of the game it is an expansion pack for? If it just adds on a bit of content and/or additional campaign, the price seems fairly steep.
Despite the X3 in the name, it's a complete new game. The engine is more or less the same, but apart from that, almost everything is new. Let me cite one of the developers:

Don’t let the numbering fool you, X3: Terran Conflict is more than just X3: Reunion with a bunch of new ships and missions, although there’s plenty of those as well! You’ve already seen and read hints about some of the new stuff, like boarding parties, bombers, flight wing groups, missile frigates, and a new User Interface, but there’s still plenty more you haven’t heard about yet, like non-player corporations, new and improved mission-handling, military outposts, and a bunch of new weapons. So get ready to find out about even more cool stuff as we get closer to release, not to mention get more details about stuff we’ve already mentioned, because, as both a player and a developer, I have to say X3: Terran Conflict is going to be the best game in the X-series yet.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#25 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:39 AM

View PostJanichsan, on October 12th 2009, 02:47 AM, said:

Despite the X3 in the name, it's a complete new game. The engine is more or less the same, but apart from that, almost everything is new. Let me cite one of the developers:

So, wait. X3: TC isn't X3: Reunion + an expansion?  The Reunion content isn't included?  Is TC even a full game?  I just bought it and am downloading it now, but I thought I was getting a full-sized game for my $40.

If Reunion is a separate game, when can I buy the un-ciderized version of that?
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#26 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

Does this come with DRM?
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#27 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:09 PM

View Postclocknova, on October 12th 2009, 12:39 PM, said:

So, wait. X3: TC isn't X3: Reunion + an expansion?  The Reunion content isn't included?  Is TC even a full game?  I just bought it and am downloading it now, but I thought I was getting a full-sized game for my $40.

I'm pretty sure X3: TC is a standalone expansion. The new native X3: Reunion will be a separate game.

#28 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

View Postrampancy, on October 12th 2009, 01:38 PM, said:

Does this come with DRM?

So long as I don't need a disc in the drive, and I can install it as many times as I want on my own hardware without a constant internet connection, I don't really care.  Obviously a disc check won't be an issue for the digital download (downloading it right now) but I'll be pretty upset if either of the other two conditions are the case.  I'll let you know.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#29 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:24 PM

View Postclocknova, on October 12th 2009, 03:13 PM, said:

So long as I don't need a disc in the drive, and I can install it as many times as I want on my own hardware without a constant internet connection, I don't really care.  Obviously a disc check won't be an issue for the digital download (downloading it right now) but I'll be pretty upset if either of the other two conditions are the case.  I'll let you know.

Thanks - I signed up for an account at Deliver2Mac and it seems like I can redownload my purchases; my only problem is if I'm allowed a (very) limited amount of activations.
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#30 RGoulder

RGoulder

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:48 PM

Looks like a great game, Though a big question I have is will the pc scripts that I use in the ciderised version of X3 reunion will work in the non ciderised version of X3 reunion and X3 TC. If not then no dice. I'll save my money for some other game.

#31 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:09 PM

I'm curious about this "much improved interface" that Terran Conflict purports to have. The previous X3 games had horrible interfaces but Terran Conflict looks like it can be played almost entirely with the mouse if I understand correctly? Keyboard control is also present but I much prefer a "point & click" interface. Can anybody comment on this?

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.9.2
iPad 3 64GB WiFi/iPhone 4S 32GB

#32 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:21 PM

I've also never played an X-Universe game.  Am I going to want to play Reunion before I play Terran Conflict?  For that matter, will I feel left out having never played X or X2?
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#33 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7240 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:50 PM

View Postclocknova, on October 12th 2009, 06:39 PM, said:

The new version of Reunion is said to be released in about three weeks.

View PostTacohead, on October 12th 2009, 09:09 PM, said:

I'm curious about this "much improved interface" that Terran Conflict purports to have. The previous X3 games had horrible interfaces but Terran Conflict looks like it can be played almost entirely with the mouse if I understand correctly? Keyboard control is also present but I much prefer a "point & click" interface. Can anybody comment on this?
Yes, the interface can now be used completely with the mouse – you can even steer your ship with the mouse in TC.

View Postclocknova, on October 12th 2009, 09:21 PM, said:

I've also never played an X-Universe game.  Am I going to want to play Reunion before I play Terran Conflict?  For that matter, will I feel left out having never played X or X2?
Depends. When you really want to make sense of every aspect of the (rather convoluted) plot of the campaign, you probably want to play the Reunion campaign first. Or you simply read the plot up. It's really not that essential.

#34 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:08 PM

Thanks Janichsan.

When I upgrade to a new iMac in the future I'll definitely check TC out then. I know it apparently has a steep learning curve but at least that improved interface will help!  :happy:

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.9.2
iPad 3 64GB WiFi/iPhone 4S 32GB

#35 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:15 PM

So far so good.  The only DRM (so far) is a registration key.  No problem with that.  Performance is also pretty good.  I've got a MBP with Snow Leopard, 4 GB RAM, a 2.5 GHz C2D, and an 8600m GT 512 MB, and I have my resolution at 1680 x 1050 32 bit, with everything almost maxed maxed (FSAA at 4, Anisotropic at 8).  I did have to turn the glow filter off, but the graphical impact is minimal.  Framerates are pretty good, though there is a bit of stalling when you pan around fast.  I've only tooled around for a little while, though, and haven't experienced any large-scale fleet battles, so long term performance remains to be seen.  But I like what I've seen so far.

A question for the developers: based on my hardware specs, what settings do you recommend for the best graphics/performance compromise over the long term?
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#36 lewdvig

lewdvig

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:38 PM

View Postclocknova, on October 13th 2009, 06:15 PM, said:

So far so good.  The only DRM (so far) is a registration key.  No problem with that.  Performance is also pretty good.  I've got a MBP with Snow Leopard, 4 GB RAM, a 2.5 GHz C2D, and an 8600m GT 512 MB, and I have my resolution at 1680 x 1050 32 bit, with everything almost maxed maxed (FSAA at 4, Anisotropic at 8).  I did have to turn the glow filter off, but the graphical impact is minimal.  Framerates are pretty good, though there is a bit of stalling when you pan around fast.  I've only tooled around for a little while, though, and haven't experienced any large-scale fleet battles, so long term performance remains to be seen.  But I like what I've seen so far.

A question for the developers: based on my hardware specs, what settings do you recommend for the best graphics/performance compromise over the long term?

Never played any Egosoft games before. Which one should I get and where should I buy it (to avoid the Cider port)?

#37 Coug-it

Coug-it

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:49 PM

View PostJanichsan, on October 11th 2009, 05:06 AM, said:

Terran Conflict is there, by the way. The new port of Reunion will be sent in three weeks or so to everyone who bought the previous ciderised "port".

Is this just going to be sent to those who purchased the down-loadable version?

#38 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7240 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:20 AM

View Postlewdvig, on October 17th 2009, 12:38 AM, said:

Never played any Egosoft games before. Which one should I get and where should I buy it (to avoid the Cider port)?
The only not-ciderised, but Intel native* game of the X series available at this time is Terran Conflict. When you can wait a bit more, you'll probably also be able to buy Reunion in its new, unciderised glory.

*X2 is also still available, but not Intel native - and it runs like crap under Rosetta.

#39 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 3040 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:24 PM

Available now at Mac Game Store / Mac Games Arcade now too. Looks pretty cool.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#40 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15855 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

View PostFrigidman, on October 23rd 2009, 11:24 AM, said:

Available now at Mac Game Store / Mac Games Arcade now too. Looks pretty cool.
OmG!!  Spamr!!   :o
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat