540 replies to this topic

#81 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

nope, they can be bothered to do any in house porting, with the sole exceptions being that they did the Xbox and X360 versions of HL2 (and the Orange Box).
Aside from that every release has been done by someone else. Orange Box was ported to PS3 by EA (who at the time didnt have a foggy clue how to do the job, hence why it sucked) and Left 4 Dead was ported from PC to X360 by someone else too.

I think you might be right about Gearbox doing the original port to mac, as they also handled the DC and PS2 version... But Im not sure.

what it really boils down to is that Fatty doesnt really want to bring it to the mac, but he does want to make money. So he turns up and makes a ridiculous demand fully expecting it to be turned down, and then when it does get turned down he turns around and says that its all Apple's fault for a) not giving him money and b) not being good enough to game developers. Both of which are true, but that doesnt make what he did any less unreasonable.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#82 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on January 14th 2009, 02:52 PM, said:

- The Half Life series
- The FEAR series
- The Splinter Cell series
- The Witcher
- Mirror's Edge
- The Titan Quest series
- The Longest Journey series
- Portal
- Team Fortress 2
- Left 4 Dead
- Gears of War
- Halo 2
- Max Payne 2
- Saints Row 2
- Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
- The original Homeworld
- Overlord
- The STALKER series
- Bioshock
- The Company of Heroes series
- The Crysis series
- Mass Effect (soon to be a series)
- Fallout 3
- Call of Duty: World at War
- Dead Space
- Defense Grid: The Awakening
- The Prince of Persia series
- Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
- The Grand Theft Auto series
- GRID
- Indigo Prophecy

Over the past two years, I've played all but one or two of games on this very Mac more than once.  Meanwhile . . . OS X has gotten a slow Call of Duty 4 port, and Spore.  Wheee.

I still don't understand why you don't just sell your MBP and build yourself a homebuild computer with Hackintosh as a dual boot.

Pretty much all of those games can fall into one of two categories ( The Witcher being an exception)

1. Suck

2. Can be played on a console

Think to yourself how much time you have spent tweaking your windows partition (which I know is quite a bit for you) and the money you spent on the OS (assuming you did the right thing and purchased windows, instead of a torrent or borrow) Now think to yourself. Instead of investing countless hours tweaking my OS so I could achieve better fps in Bioshock and 30 sec bootups, then $100 plus for an OS.  I could've spent $300 at the start for a 360 that will:

1. Play quite a few of those games
2. Takes up absolutely no space on your laptop
3. Every game that is released for it will run acceptably (with overclocking the GPU, etc.)
4. If you want you could play some multiplayer COD5, of Co-op L4D with your buddies on one screen.
5. You can leave your OS X working on whatever it is doing (download, video encoding, etc.)
6. No annoying windows popping telling you for the zillionth time that something is at risk, you connected to a network, etc.

or if you decided to drop an extra $100 for a PS3 the above list still applies (in general, exchange L4D with Nazi Zombies in COD5, etc.) plus you could:

1. play Blu-Rays, which you will never be able to do on your MBP
2. Free online access
3. More great games, like LBP
4. Have all of your media on your console
5. Browse the web w'out slowing anything down as your mac does something important (Handbrake, Final Cut, etc.)

It's pretty obvious that the console is a lot more bang for your buck or bootcamp. You might complain about "lame auto aiming, etc." get over it. A game doesn't suddenly suck because it helps you aim slightly due to the lower precision shots

-Snake
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#83 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:42 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on January 16th 2009, 10:37 PM, said:

... and 30 sec bootups, ...
Which we still don't believe until proven otherwise.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#84 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

Wow, there aren't a lot of hugs in this thread.

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#85 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

View PostAtticus, on January 16th 2009, 10:40 PM, said:

*hug*

Better?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#86 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

View PostJanichsan, on January 16th 2009, 04:42 PM, said:

Which we still don't believe until proven otherwise.

Its doable. It just requires a very clean OS with very strict maintenance. You remember when your mac first arrived, and how fast it booted? Its the same thing. 99% of computer users will never have 30 second boot up. For me its simply because I can't be bothered to strictly maintain two OS's. OS X gets all of the maintenance and I'm not go to carefully tweak XP just so the few times a month I have free afternoon to reboot and play bootcamp games I'll get shave off a few seconds at startup. My OS X boot is about 37 seconds, it would be better but my sisters have no concept on how to keep a computer running fast

-Snake
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#87 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on January 16th 2009, 04:37 PM, said:

A game doesn't suddenly suck because it helps you aim slightly due to the lower precision shots

Yes, actually, it does.  First person shooters on consoles do suck, period.  Also consoles have almost no decent strategy games.  The occasional console game is fun, but generally computer games are more fun.

--Eric

#88 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

View PostEric5h5, on January 16th 2009, 04:59 PM, said:

Yes, actually, it does.  First person shooters on consoles do suck, period.  Also consoles have almost no decent strategy games.  The occasional console game is fun, but generally computer games are more fun.

--Eric

I enjoy games more on the computer as well. But playing them on a console doesn't suck, its just not quite as good. If you own either a 360 or PS3 you don't think games suck on them. Its all your point of view I guess. Strategy games do suck on consoles, I'll give you that (except EndWar, its a decent game). However, you can play a lot of good strategy games in mac (AoE 2 and 3 + exapansions, C&C3, Civ4, StarCraft II coming etc.).

#89 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:13 PM

View PostEric5h5, on January 16th 2009, 09:59 PM, said:

The occasional console game is fun, but generally computer games are more fun.

View PostSneaky Snake, on January 16th 2009, 10:04 PM, said:

But playing them on a console doesn't suck, its just slightly worse

Both of these make assumptions about genres. Since you're in a Bioshock thread, let's say you mean FPS games. Some games are far better on consoles. (And in my circle of games, that's.... all of them)

Anyone talking about boot speeds in an"it's possible in 30 seconds" kind of way said:

It's possible in 30 seconds.
Shhhhh. You're not understanding the plan here.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#90 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

View PostAtticus, on January 16th 2009, 01:40 PM, said:

Atticus
You can take this hug from my cold dead body!  

... I keep it in the freezer in the basement.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#91 Kaoro

Kaoro

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

That explains the weird smells!
私は今日日本語で話します。

#92 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

You must be referring to the dry dead bodies behind the paneling on the walls.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#93 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:29 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on January 17th 2009, 12:26 PM, said:

So you HAVE played BioShock.

#94 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

I wish they'd stop making games based on my criminal record!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#95 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:23 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on January 17th 2009, 11:26 AM, said:

How many times do I have to PM you with instructions? Garbage bags, plastic barrels and lime, then buried. Geez.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#96 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

A good thing to do is, if you are eating at a restaurant, leave your unwanted bodies instead of a tip. And just run out.

#97 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

Or do it like Dexter, cut them up, put them in bags then dump them in the gulf stream.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#98 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:46 PM

View Postteflon, on January 17th 2009, 04:57 PM, said:

Or do it like Dexter, cut them up, put them in bags then dump them in the gulf stream.
If they are in bags, how will they turn into ashes to ashes, dust to dust? We're making archaeology far too easy for the aliens that visit our planet after we're extinct.

#99 Pluto

Pluto

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:37 PM

It is already here - you can play all Half-Life and Counter Strike games under CrossOver or, I beg your pardon, as unofficial Ciders which are sometimes better than CrossOver. As well as any other Valve's Source-based game including latest Left 4 Dead which shows nearly the same performance in OS X as Windows native. I'm sure that Valve (or Aspyr, or Feral) can fix hardware compatibility with Nvidia graphics cards and add proper Steam support. It is not a technical problem but marketing.

#100 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:55 AM

I don't think Aspyr or Feral would have plans to add 'Steam support' on the Mac. If they do, it's a fantastically well kept secret.

God. Steam on the Mac. That'd suck.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.