540 replies to this topic

#61 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

I only ever faulted BioShock for being a bit depressing. (spoiler) It would've been nice if some vestige of Rapture had survived unscathed and remained a positive influence, but I suppose the story doesn't work unless there's total failure. (/spoiler)  Other than that, I found it to be very interesting gameplay wise.

#62 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

Atmosphere scores big points with me--it made Doom 3 from an embarrassing joke into a game I'm glad I played! And I like steampunk. So Bioshock will probably not disappoint.

#63 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:55 PM

It shouldn't disappoint you.

The gameplay is about as good as it gets for shooters, but it is really the world that drew me in. I, as the protagonist don't know anything about the world I stumbled upon. The initial descent is breathtaking, but even before entering Rapture, the lifelessness of the nearly empty city is portrayed. Despite being empty, it does feel "once habited." The backstory that was filled in by the audio diaries was a nice touch, and was probably the perfect format for the exposition of Rapture and left me questioning whether they were purposefully left around for the protagonist to find or if the protagonist is just discovering random remnants and sort of shows how the source of information can easily create biases. One of the goals seemed to be to disgust the player with how twisted people could become, and then to second guess the original opinions formed towards some of the characters.

Doom 3 is a joke in comparison.

It is also an interesting antithesis to Ayn Rand's hidden objectivist utopia portrayed in Atlas Shrugged.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#64 J'nathus

J'nathus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:36 AM

Doom 3 scared me (I admit it, I'm squeamish), but I played it at night, lights off, sound up...  like the box recommended.   Doom 3 is a totally different experience, and (in my opinion) enjoyable in a different way.  BioShock has more life to it, more story and more depth.  Doom 3 felt to me sort of like living through the movie Aliens, and seen in that light, I enjoyed it quite a bit.  In the end, BioShock has stayed in my library of games, and Doom 3 was sold off on half.com. :)  

I'm glad a BioShock 2 is underway.

#65 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:02 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on January 14th 2009, 06:36 PM, said:

How do you know it will be a bad port? How do you know that it will run so terribly? If I am correct, Bioshock is older than CoD 4, and if you have read one of the threads on here, it is detailing that the fps on CoD 4 that is especially appearing with the 8xxx series of cards will be fixed (hopefully) in the near future.
I don't think CoD4 used an entirely new engine. Seeing that CoD2 introduced a brand new proprietary engine, CoD4 is probably just an expanded version of it. Bioshock grafts UE3 elements on an expanded UE2.5 Vengeance Engine base so some of its parts are newer and the hybrid nature may not help much.

Is the engine for Bioshock 2 going to be the same as Bioshock? I believe they were planning on making a new Vengeance 2 engine probably based on UE3 or UE3.5. That's too bad, since it'd be more work for Feral to bring Bioshock 2 over. Bundling Bioshock 1 and 2 and releasing simultaneously on Bioshock 2's launch date would have been nice.

In any case, has anyone noticed that Bioshock uses Havok physics? I thought there was a big fuss a while back about Havok charging too much for licensing for Mac developers and the Mac version languishing until Blizzard decided to use it in their upcoming games. Has Havok actually lowered their licensing costs, otherwise who is footing the bill? Personally, seeing the supposed close relationship between Intel and Apple and Intel owning Havok, Steve Jobs should just go over an "request" better support for Mac from Havok.

#66 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

View Postltcommander.data, on January 15th 2009, 02:02 AM, said:

Has Havok actually lowered their licensing costs

Yes, a while ago.

--Eric

#67 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:23 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on January 14th 2009, 07:52 PM, said:

You want a video of my machine booting in less than a minute?

If I don't see this video, everything you say becomes a lie. Go.

View PostDark_Archon, on January 14th 2009, 09:22 PM, said:

FALLOUT 3 SUX COS I DIDN'T SEE A FARM AND I REGRET BUYING IT

Try renting next time. Fallout 3, despite being a long way short of Fallout 2, is one of half a dozen games from 2008 that I'd be happy to buy. Feel free to spend another half an hour of your life trying to convince me that I don't believe my own opinion.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#68 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:52 AM

View Postnagromme, on January 14th 2009, 08:31 PM, said:

Your "only 30 seconds" penalty is closer to the truth if you don't do much BUT game on your machine, or if you never want to game for less than hours at a stretch. But for those of us who use our computers for a whole range of tasks in our daily lives, rebooting is like having to pack your home and office into a moving van, and then get it all back out again. You COULD do it, but it's not a great option. All that hassle... and what's the incentive? To play certain games over others. But there's no shortage of games I want to play on my Mac--there are more than I have TIME for. I would have loved to play BioShock and Gears of War when they were knew. I loved the games I played instead, and had just as many hours of fun as if I were a Windows gamer. There are unquestionable reasons to game in Windows (or on a console for that matter) but the reasons not to outweigh them for me.

And the cost of my gaming Mac was zero: I play on the Mac I already use for other tasks (which I couldn't do as well, if at all, on Windows).

I'm glad Boot Camp is there for those that like that method. And it's nice to know the option is there if a game comes along that I can't live without. So is building your own PC. But desktop gaming without Windows is ALSO a very reasonable choice. Laugh all you like: your habits and choices aren't the one right way for everyone :)

And while you laugh, we'll STILL be having fun with our games--and BioShock will be among them :)

A lot of it I think comes down to getting used to your situation and deciding it's "not that bad." You've decided that rebooting hassle is "not that bad." Some of us have decided that playing other games instead of BioShock two years ago was "not that bad." Neither of us is wrong, nor needs to laugh at the other. But I will say, the time and productivity you lost "just rebooting" won't come back... and the fun we'll have playing Mac BioShock won't go away :)

Though Quicksilver makes some interesting comments, I think most of your excellent post (the part I quote particularly so) sums up my case very well.  FWIW, I always try to complete any games I play (I still have a few unfinished PS2 classics I'll be getting back to!), I never use cheats & there's only so much time I can realistically use for gaming.   As a gamer, I'm neither hard-core nor casual.  I certainly want more games for Mac & welcome the recent announcements. IMO, the back catalogue for Mac is now teeming with more than enough great games for most gamers.  I really haven't even the time to use Boot Camp, thus I'm delaying that option until autumn circa when Windows 7 gets an official release.

Sure I'd really love to get my hands on "Empire: TW" when it's out in March, but I also know I'll be more than busy gaming on my Mac well past that time, even if "Empire" was released simultaneously for Mac! Some of those Mac games will be new like "Starcraft 2", others like "Rome: TW" will be over 4 years old; to me that's no big deal.  What matters the most is that I'll be playing those games in OS X & supporting Mac developers without feeling that I'm in some way cheating or denying myself something better.  After I've completed all the Mac classics I want to play, only then will l use Boot Camp & you know what: I'll still be buying some really old PC games that never made it to Mac, along with some new ones.  It's a very flexible thing for those who think for themselves &, as you say, either way no-one is "wrong" here. :)

#69 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

If you're still in the back catalog for the Mac, then you're definitely a casual gamer.  Thinning the pool of potential games is the fact that some of those old titles have compatibility issues when you upgrade past OS X Jaguar and Panther.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#70 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:43 AM

Casual gaming has another definition typically, but you can use the term as you see fit. However, nobody's personal definition of who is a "casual gamer" is going to make Boot Camp make more sense, nor make BioShock less fun :)

#71 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:54 AM

its these kinds of labels that land evil dictatorships in trouble...
whats your solution to the 'casual gamers' problem?

oh, and were still waiting for your sub-1 minute reboot video.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#72 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:27 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on January 15th 2009, 04:49 PM, said:

If you're still in the back catalog for the Mac, then you're definitely a casual gamer.  Thinning the pool of potential games is the fact that some of those old titles have compatibility issues when you upgrade past OS X Jaguar and Panther.

I guess that you're an "all or nothing" kind of guy. No gaming half-measures accepted with you, which is fine.  :)  

You're welcome to consider me a "casual gamer", even if I do occasionally spend 4-to-5 hours at a time gaming on my Mac & well into the early hours at w/ends. Re my point about the back catalogue: I only got a decent gaming Mac (HD 2600 iMac) late May '08.  Even though that's a relatively short time ago, I already know I couldn't have found time to play through all the great available Mac games even if I'd got my iMac months earlier!  That's why I think Windows 7 coming around autumn will suit me just fine.

#73 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

Looking at Game Rankings, Mac users will now have access to #3(Bioshock) and #24(Rome Total War) all time thanks to Feral. Just because it's a tad old doesn't make it any less great of a game, particularly if you are really only interested in a good single player experience.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#74 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

when is half life comming to the MAC?

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#75 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

When you learn the difference between Mac and MAC.

Also when someone gives fatty a million dollars.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#76 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:23 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on January 11th 2009, 06:18 PM, said:

I hope it will run on a real man's PowerPC!
This four-balled Quad G5 owner seconds this motion!

View Postcharmin, on January 15th 2009, 04:38 PM, said:

When you learn the difference between Mac and MAC.

Also when someone gives fatty a million dollars.
I thought that was already tried and he just decided to bone us (and Logicware) anyway once the game was 90% complete.

Fatty is an asshat extraordinaire.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#77 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:16 AM

ah, no that was Fatty's Half Obese Life 1, charmin was talking about Fatty's Half Obese Life 2...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#78 Kaoro

Kaoro

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

Fatty is the head asshat at Valve right?

I'm curious - is he only refusing to do Mac ports in-house, or does he want those sums of money if a company like Feral wanted to do it too?
私は今日日本語で話します。

#79 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

The first HL was being ported (by Gearbox, I think), and was pretty much finished when Sierra (their publisher at the time) canceled the project. Valve (now self-published) wanted an advance of one million for the rights to port HL2. I don't think they had any interest in porting in-house.

Of course, Newell (aka "Fatty" to IMGers), has also gone on record saying that Apple has been unhelpful about facilitating porting games to the platform, which I can fully believe. Valve could of course work around that if they had the desire, but since they're making money hand over fist with Steam on Windows, there's probably not much motivation there.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#80 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

View PostKaoro, on January 16th 2009, 07:12 PM, said:

Fatty is the head asshat at Valve right?
Posted Image

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"