#501 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:30 AM

View Postalkar, on November 15th 2009, 10:01 AM, said:

Noticed a bug in the port, at least on my 8800GT but thanksfully easy to fix and actually welcomed (1.0.1 version + 10.6.2) !
If you disable Vsync in the main menu (not in game !!!) then play as usual, the game will run a lot better : while before it was sometimes running at 40fps, now it's running 60fps every time, fully maxed, and definitely on par with Windows !

Dunno if it's a feature of Vsync, I guess maybe the game is running at 59fps, not exactly 60fps, and vsync blocks it at ~30fps... I don't have screen tearing either without vsync, so if you want a BIG fps boost (in my case almost 15fps boost in "complicated scenes) you should disable it.

EDIT : btw is there a way to force FSAA ? on WIndows you can force it via the nvidia panel, but forcing it via opengl profiler wont work :(
Bioshock doesn't support antialiasing from what I've read so unless ATI or NVIDIA releases OS X control panels, I'd say 'No.' The last set of drivers/software I could find from ATI was for the Radeon X1900 G5 card.

I'm not sure where you're reading fps readout from since Bioshock has no built-in way to display frames per second AFAIK... unless you're guesstimating? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#502 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:36 AM

View Postalkar, on November 15th 2009, 08:01 AM, said:

Dunno if it's a feature of Vsync, I guess maybe the game is running at 59fps, not exactly 60fps, and vsync blocks it at ~30fps... I don't have screen tearing either without vsync, so if you want a BIG fps boost (in my case almost 15fps boost in "complicated scenes) you should disable it.

It's not a bug as you say its a feature. :)  If the game engine cannot guarantee 60 frames per second in all cases it will drop to the next lowest fps that it both sync-able to the refresh rate and also attainable by the game engine. In your case your card can get close to 60fps most of the time but it cannot guarantee the frame rate so it drops to the next best fps.

In most cases turning VSync off will give a big boost in the frame rate as it is no longer restrained to a set fps however depending on your card and settings you might get tearing, although as you have noticed if you get lucky you get all the speed and no downside. If you don't know what tearing is here is a wiki page which describes the phenomenon and also shows an example image.

If you want/need more speed I would recommend you do as Alkar has done and disabled VSync and only turn it back on again if the tearing gets annoying on your machine.

Cheers,

Edwin

#503 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:38 AM

Yes vSync is a framepersecond killer in any game. I always play without it even on my Mac Pro.
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#504 Linux-user

Linux-user

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:01 AM

View PostAgent5, on November 16th 2009, 01:46 AM, said:

I haven't purchased one of their games in a while, so I don't clearly remember, but I can at least verify that an internet connection is not required to play the games subsequently, as I regularly play them on my iMac when my ISP collapses. You might simply try picking the games up on GamersGate, as they do not seem to have DRM for any of their Mac games.

Those games at GamersGate are only digital downloads. I only buy retail games. I want a nice box and a disc and manual, something I can place on my shelf. This gives the feeling of actually owning a product. When buying a downloadable version, I don't feel like I own the game. When I buy retail games, I can point my friends to the shelf which is full of games and I can say: "Look, those are my games." Maybe I'm getting old, but I really don't like digital distribution and I don't like games that reuire an internet connection. I just want to buy a game, install and play the game even when my router has exploded, which means I don't have an internet connection at that moment.

#505 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

my ati blew off after playing bioshock for 4 hours, but it is not ferals fault.
i sent it to a asp and the changed the ati 4850 and now everything is fine...for now ;-)

Doc
 iMac 2.93C2D ATI-4850 4GB 640GB BT AP SD
 MacbookPro 2.4C2D 9600GT 4GB 250GB BT AP SD
 iPod Video 30GB - Airport Extreme - Synology 406 1.6TB@Raid5

#506 Jeyl

Jeyl

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Steam Name:Jeyl
  • Steam ID:jeyl1984

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:02 PM

Ok. I want cheats. I want a chemical thrower, my swarm hand, my incinerator hand all on stage one. I want it all. Go ahead. Do it.
Processor: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Mac OS X Version 10.7.3

#507 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:41 AM

View PostJeyl, on November 16th 2009, 07:02 PM, said:

Ok. I want cheats. I want a chemical thrower, my swarm hand, my incinerator hand all on stage one. I want it all. Go ahead. Do it.

Hey! Earn your weapons. And swarm hand is lame.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#508 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:34 PM

So, I got BioShock, but I can't play for more than a few minutes at a time without it freezing. In fact it freezes so hard that I can't even force quit, and I have to ssh in from another machine to be able to reboot cleanly.

I have emailed Feral support, and they told me that I probably had some conflicting software installed, or my graphics card was clogged with dust and overheating. So I removed all third-party software that could possibly run without being explicitly launched, gave the only slightly dusty air intake a thorough clean, and tried playing at the coolest time of the day. Still freezing.

So now their only advice is "reinstall the OS". What is this, Windows?

I'd like to gather some more data to try and help Feral and/or Apple fix this. The machine this is happening on is a MacPro 1,1 (early 2007), Radeon X1900 XT, running 10.6.2. Does anyone else have an identical (or even just similar) config? If so, I'd like to hear from you. I'm interested in both reports where this problem does happen and where it does not. Of course I'd also like to hear if you are having the same problem with BioShock on a completely different system.

#509 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:59 PM

Have you tried applying a combo update to rewrite all the stuff that the two deltas might have messed up?

Also, rebooting the mac messily might give you some crash reports that could be of use.

Finally, I assume you're not getting this in any other games?
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#510 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

Yeah, all other games are fine. No crash or panic reports because the game is not actually crashing and the OS is still ticking along fine, the GUI is just unusable due to the BioShock window covering everything.

This reminds me of what happened to NWN on my G5 years ago, come to think of it… only that actually was a kernel panic, and was caused by ATI Displays (which is obviously not a factor any more).

#511 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:27 PM

same here! i also got freezes, don't know what causes this. Is it my ATI ? 1.01 Update installed.
there is no crah-log available. what can i do to check out, what causes this.

Thx
Doc

#512 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:14 AM

View PostTesseract, on November 20th 2009, 01:34 PM, said:

So, I got BioShock, but I can't play for more than a few minutes at a time without it freezing. In fact it freezes so hard that I can't even force quit, and I have to ssh in from another machine to be able to reboot cleanly.

I have emailed Feral support, and they told me that I probably had some conflicting software installed, or my graphics card was clogged with dust and overheating. So I removed all third-party software that could possibly run without being explicitly launched, gave the only slightly dusty air intake a thorough clean, and tried playing at the coolest time of the day. Still freezing.

So now their only advice is "reinstall the OS". What is this, Windows?

I'd like to gather some more data to try and help Feral and/or Apple fix this. The machine this is happening on is a MacPro 1,1 (early 2007), Radeon X1900 XT, running 10.6.2. Does anyone else have an identical (or even just similar) config? If so, I'd like to hear from you. I'm interested in both reports where this problem does happen and where it does not. Of course I'd also like to hear if you are having the same problem with BioShock on a completely different system.
Feral's trouble shooting is initially spot-on (IMHO) with what I'd recommend but have you tried trashing the ini file (~/Library/Preferences/Feral Interactive/Bioshock/MacInit/Bioshock.ini) and restarted with base/recommended graphic settings? Have you updated to Bioshock 1.01?
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#513 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:46 AM

View PostTesseract, on November 20th 2009, 07:34 PM, said:

Before dismissing the idea of overheating, I would try and actually check the temperature of your GPU. If I recall correctly, iStat Pro can display this value (at least for a couple of more recent graphic boards that are equipped with a temperature sensor). As mentioned above, I also had hard freezes on my old MBP with an ATI x1600 GPU* and those were definitely related to heat. Keep in mind that past heat stress can also cause minor damage to your hardware that might reduce the temperature tolerance.

* On a sidenote, my new 13" MBP arrived on Monday and Bioshock runs great on it. Yay!

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#514 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:22 AM

i actual downgraded to 1.0 but that does not help. i played around 20 Minutes and i got a freeze.
the sound keeps playing. i don't know what to do. any ideas what causes those freezes.

i can't check any temperatures, because i need to do a cold-reboot.
i can't manage to go back to the desktop if bioshock freezes.

after reboot the temperatures are all in range, but i don't know how they were at the freezing.

any ideas ?

ps: bioshock (pc-version!) is known for having freeze-problems with some graphics drivers.

#515 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:57 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on November 25th 2009, 07:14 PM, said:

Feral's trouble shooting is initially spot-on (IMHO) with what I'd recommend but have you tried trashing the ini file (~/Library/Preferences/Feral Interactive/Bioshock/MacInit/Bioshock.ini) and restarted with base/recommended graphic settings? Have you updated to Bioshock 1.01?
I tried with a whole fresh account, and yes I'm running 1.01. Only thing I haven't tried (yet) is booting from a clean OS partition.

View PostJanichsan, on November 25th 2009, 07:46 PM, said:

Before dismissing the idea of overheating, I would try and actually check the temperature of your GPU. If I recall correctly, iStat Pro can display this value (at least for a couple of more recent graphic boards that are equipped with a temperature sensor). As mentioned above, I also had hard freezes on my old MBP with an ATI x1600 GPU* and those were definitely related to heat. Keep in mind that past heat stress can also cause minor damage to your hardware that might reduce the temperature tolerance.
I had that idea too, but none of the temperature monitoring utilities out there (AFAICT) will tell me my GPU temperature. However, I do know what my video card fan sounds like, and it is not kicking in to any audible degree.

dr.zeissler, you're playing on the iMac in your sig I take it? Is it running 10.6.2? Make sure you report this to Feral support if you haven't already.

#516 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:54 AM

View PostTesseract, on December 3rd 2009, 01:57 AM, said:

I tried with a whole fresh account, and yes I'm running 1.01. Only thing I haven't tried (yet) is booting from a clean OS partition.
How about launching, killing a lot of graphics options and seeing if you can play longer or continually without crashing. If you find you can play continually without crashing start enabling one or two options at a time and you might encounter a culprit.

Another culprit, which I hope is not the case, is the rare occasion where memory- bad RAM- is corrupting data. Quoting from this article;

To use the Apple Hardware Test disc on Intel-based Macs, insert the disc labeled "Mac OS X Install Disc 1". Restart* your Mac then immediately hold down the D key before the gray startup screen appears. You should see a picture of a screen with a chip in front of it.

Once the program hardware test program has loaded, select the Perform extended testing checkbox then press the Test button. If the test discovers faulty modules, it will display an explicit message indicating which slot harbors it.

*Note: Spell-corrected by me.

As noted in the article, if your memory usage is light you might rarely encounter problems but I'm sure Bioshock loves the RAM and something that was, if the case, latent is now forefront.

#517 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:53 AM

Memtest and AHT tell me my RAM is fine, which is not surprising given that I tend to use all of it and have yet to get any ECC warnings. (Multi-bit errors actually cause an immediate kernel panic anyway.)

#518 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:10 PM

i have deleted the preferences and saved the savegames.
but a view days ago i got another freeze.

what is interesting about this is the fact that i had to stop playing because of a phone call.
the game runs another two or free minutes and than i got a freeze.

but i was able to make a screenshot after the freezing:

Posted Image

Doc

#519 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:04 AM

View PostTesseract, on December 3rd 2009, 12:57 AM, said:

...However, I do know what my video card fan sounds like, and it is not kicking in to any audible degree.

That might the problem. The fan "should" start and doesn't. So the chip overheats.

Get iStat Menus : http://www.islayer.c...pps/istatmenus/

Play until you get the freeze. Log in through ssh, kill the BioShock process and quickly check your GPU temperature.

(I had to use that ssh trick a few times too. It's too bad there isn't a way to bring up a full screen UNIX console in these case and bypass the OSX Windowing layer.)

#520 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:39 PM

View PostiRolley, on December 4th 2009, 08:04 AM, said:

That might the problem. The fan "should" start and doesn't. So the chip overheats.

Get iStat Menus : http://www.islayer.c...pps/istatmenus/

Play until you get the freeze. Log in through ssh, kill the BioShock process and quickly check your GPU temperature.

(I had to use that ssh trick a few times too. It's too bad there isn't a way to bring up a full screen UNIX console in these case and bypass the OSX Windowing layer.)

I agree with iRolley, your fan should be ramping out to at least an audible level. The fan on the 4890 in my homebuild ramps up to very audible when playing any game. I think that might be your problem - temps are to high due to the fan not cooling your card properly.

On my GTX 260 that I used to have in my homebuild a 20-30% increase in fan speed reduced the temps by about 15-25 degrees, 100% fan cooled the card about 30-40 degrees cooler then the standard 40% that it runs at while idling (which is not audible)
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB