1 reply to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:21 AM

A recent post on Wolfire Software's blog explains why supporting Mac OS X and Linux provides a larger benefit for developers than the market share might suggest. Wolfire is the developer of the unique martial arts action title, Lugaru, as well as the game's upcoming sequel, Overgrowth.

Last I checked, Mac OS X had around a 5% market share, and Linux had much less than that (among consumers). I can feel that many PHBs look at this small number and think 5%? Why should I support a whole new platform when I could just blow some more money on brand advertising?

Obviously supporting Mac OS X and Linux means you tap into another platform and expand your potential market base. That much is clear. But surely adding an extra 5% is negligible, right? Wrong. Not all five percents are created equal. Im not an economist, just a humble engineer, but let me take a stab at an explanation.

From a short sighted, graph reading viewpoint, supporting Mac OS X and Linux directly increased sales by around 122%. However, this seemingly unbelievable number is actually understated.
Click over to the site linked below to read the entire blog post.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:28 AM

50% of all games sold were Mac versions? Interesting. *strokes stubble* I suppose word-of-mouth can have a bigger impact on our side of things. Unfortunately, I could never get into Lugaru myself. It just isn't my type of game. *shrug*
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.