2 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:39 PM

Macworld has posted a new review of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean Online. The game allows players to experience the adventures made famous in the films and explore beyond those boundaries in a quest to become the most legendary pirate on the high seas. Macworld gave the game a score of 3 out of 5 mice.

From the review:

The sailing is perhaps the best realized of the game’s many aspects. You can pirate and crew your own ship, gradually upgrading it through experience and money, or you can take part in someone else’s crew and man the cannons. Crews that go into combat together get combat bonuses and so there’s an incentive to play cooperatively with other players online. One of the best thrills of the game is captaining a ship and ordering your fellow players to give a full broadside, watching with glee as the enemy ships goes down in a hail of cannon fire. You can also get a group together to board an enemy capital ship and take on its crew.

Later, you’ll learn teleportation techniques to cut down on the time-consuming sailing between islands. While sailing, you’ll regularly encounter British Navy, ghost pirate, and East Indian Trading company ships, along with your fellow online players. Player-versus-player experiences are limited; with sea engagements, you can have crew battles or do the Spanish/French side quests, while land engagements involve joining sparsely populated battle servers that require you to take on an undead form (wouldn’t want the kids to be scared by human-on-human violence!).
To read the full review follow the link provided below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 shaitan

shaitan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

I beg to differ with Macworld's review somewhat, because there's some real value to Pirate of the Carribean Online as a fun little multi-player game. Unfortunately, like every MMO I've played on any platform, it's focus on group play devolves the gameplay into simple, tedious quests and very little room for growth for the actual character. Sailing is a fun, and group battles when on board can be a blast, but the first person questing is tedious -- though flavor of the game makes it fun. Overall, I really enjoyed it when I was low level and when playing solo or with 2-3 friends, but at high level, I got bored. Disney's tried to give out "freebies" to keep player playing, but the charm has warn off. I cancelled my subscription last month, though I miss sailing.

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:55 AM

View Postshaitan, on January 1st 2009, 11:11 PM, said:

I beg to differ with Macworld's review somewhat, because there's some real value to Pirate of the Carribean Online as a fun little multi-player game. Unfortunately, like every MMO I've played on any platform, it's focus on group play devolves the gameplay into simple, tedious quests and very little room for growth for the actual character. Sailing is a fun, and group battles when on board can be a blast, but the first person questing is tedious -- though flavor of the game makes it fun. Overall, I really enjoyed it when I was low level and when playing solo or with 2-3 friends, but at high level, I got bored. Disney's tried to give out "freebies" to keep player playing, but the charm has warn off. I cancelled my subscription last month, though I miss sailing.
Try out Pirates of the Burning Seas for some good sailing action. However that mmo also suffers from problems too... mainly, everything else ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester