Aspyr problems (aka disturbance in the workforce)

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:31 PM

yup, even Ryan Gordon hasnt managed it yet (well he has, but something is holding up proceedings somewhere...).
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#62 goMac

goMac

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:52 AM

There are several reasons I haven't bought Mac games in a bit...

1) The Intel transition ruined Mac gaming for me for a bit. So many games that I had (excluding games from one amazing company that shall remain nameless) never got UB ports, causing much pain, suffering, grinding of teeth, and purchasing of the Windows version to play at acceptable speeds. (Homeworld 2, and later Myst 5 were both good examples) The Windows versions were dirt cheap to purchase anyway. I might have gone for the Mac version of Homeworld 2, but again, Rosetta does not run it so hot from what I've seen on a friends Macbook Pro. Maybe it's better now, but as of around a year ago it still wasn't great.
2) Mac games are just so expensive. I play two games a lot that Aspyr publishes for the Mac, Civ4 and Sim City 4. I play both under Windows and it's a pita but I got Civ4 through Gametap and I picked up Sim City 4 and expansion for about $15. They perform well and they were cheap. I'd probably pay $30 for Sim City 4 w Rush Hour and $30 for Civ 4 vanilla for Mac, but when I go to the store I usually see Sim City 4 for Mac at some outrageous price. I'd pay extra for the convenience, but I'm not made of money... And I'm also unsure of what sort of performance hit Sim City 4 took in the Mac porting process. (I'm sure Civ 4 works great.)

Same is true of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 btw. I could pick that up for $20 on Steam, but the Mac version is still absurdly expensive. I know you guys have to make a profit, but it would seem to me that you could sell more if you dropped the price of the games after release... But then again, I'm sure you guys have bean counters that keep track of this sort of thing for you.

#63 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:43 AM

For sure, Mac games are relatively expensive, but the sell-on fee is much higher than for Windows games. The popular Mac games don't lose much value at all.  You also have the satisfaction of knowing that you're supporting Mac developers.  :)  That said, I'll be more than happy to Boot Camp it shortly where no Mac versions exist.

#64 iEvan

iEvan

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 357 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:16 PM

I'd talk about how I'd pay an extra $20 over retail to play Half-Life 2/Team Fortress 2/Portal natively on my Mac, but I think that discussion has been beaten to a pulp. So uh... yeah... hooray for Boot Camp and shareware developers like Ambrosia and 2D Boy for coming out with some great native Mac games recently (Aquaria and World of Goo).

Remember guns don't kill people... Pfhor do.

#65 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

View Postbobbob, on December 18th 2008, 02:35 PM, said:

GameAgent sales will save them.

Well, it could, but it kind of sucks.