Baldur's Gate 2 Problems

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 CPE413

CPE413

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10.5.5.  I installed Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn and it's expansion Throne of Bhaal.  I downloaded the patch and replaced the previous BG2 icon and chitin key as instructed.  However, I still get this message:

An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 634
Programmer says: Unable to Open BIF:data:MISSound.bif

I bought this game brand new a few weeks ago and would hate for it to be a waste.  I realize there are compatibility issues with Mac OS X, but have seen some successes with Leopard.  Has anyone else encountered this problem or know how to fix it?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#2 DrSal

DrSal

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:03 PM

View PostCPE413, on November 27th 2008, 12:10 AM, said:

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10.5.5.  I installed Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn and it's expansion Throne of Bhaal.  I downloaded the patch and replaced the previous BG2 icon and chitin key as instructed.  However, I still get this message:

I bought this game brand new a few weeks ago and would hate for it to be a waste.  I realize there are compatibility issues with Mac OS X, but have seen some successes with Leopard.  Has anyone else encountered this problem or know how to fix it?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

bgtutu might help you: search out this forum for more info.

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3779 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:55 PM

How is Tutu going to help him?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#4 CPE413

CPE413

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

View PostDrSal, on November 28th 2008, 09:03 PM, said:

bgtutu might help you: search out this forum for more info.

I looked at some of the threads and it looks like I need Baldur's Gate I in order to use it :(

will it work with just BG2 only?  or does it need BG1?

#5 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

All Tutu does is convert the resources used in BG/TotSC over to a BG2 installation (the engines are largely the same, so the BG/TotSC data is easily copied and converted, allowing you to play the original game under BG2).

IIRC (and that's a very big "if"), the cause of this issue is a path problem in Baldur.ini. Make sure that the [Alias] section of your INI file is correct. A full installation of BG2/ToB should have the following (since you have ToB, you should have a full install):
[Alias]
CD5:=:CD5:
HD0:=:
CD1:=:CD1:
CD2:=:CD2:
CD3:=:CD3:
CD4:=:CD4:
If you have to modify the INI, you'll need to use a text editor that supports Mac (CR) line breaks, such as BBEdit or TextWrangler.

As far as I'm aware, the game should run on Intel-based Macs, but the Mac OS X version isn't terribly solid and you should expect some issues.

#6 CPE413

CPE413

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

View PostdevSin, on December 6th 2008, 10:40 PM, said:

All Tutu does is convert the resources used in BG/TotSC over to a BG2 installation (the engines are largely the same, so the BG/TotSC data is easily copied and converted, allowing you to play the original game under BG2).

IIRC (and that's a very big "if"), the cause of this issue is a path problem in Baldur.ini. Make sure that the [Alias] section of your INI file is correct. A full installation of BG2/ToB should have the following (since you have ToB, you should have a full install):
[Alias]
CD5:=:CD5:
HD0:=:
CD1:=:CD1:
CD2:=:CD2:
CD3:=:CD3:
CD4:=:CD4:
If you have to modify the INI, you'll need to use a text editor that supports Mac (CR) line breaks, such as BBEdit or TextWrangler.

As far as I'm aware, the game should run on Intel-based Macs, but the Mac OS X version isn't terribly solid and you should expect some issues.

i checked my .ini and it was just as printed :(

is there anything I can check or change that will make this game work?

#7 Crunchy in milk

Crunchy in milk

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

View PostCPE413, on November 27th 2008, 12:10 AM, said:

Quickly searching the net suggests that the second error line (which may just be explaining the first) is a result of a bad ini file, specifically the type of carriage returns making it hard for the game to locate the data files. OR it could be that that particular bif file did not transfer properly.  I know when I last installed the game I had serious trouble with bent discs because the mac distribution stuffs all those discs into a tiny DVD case.

http://my.opera.com/...326725#comments

Here (just like in the above replies) they suggest getting a virgin ini file from disc 2 and editing it in a program other than textedit, (such as textwrangler).  I have the mac version of BGII and TOB but have never tried it with an intel mac so I have no immediate experience on that to offer help.

What I can say first hand isn't so much help though. PC versions of infinity engine games run really well, some REALLY really well, in crossover/crossover games.

In the future when you decide that the Baldur's gate series isn't 'all that' and the _greatest_ tragedy of mac gaming is that the _best _ever_ infinity engine game was never ported, know that you can play Planescape Tormet on your intel mac with crossover.  

I'm doing it right now.  In my case I set the game up in Boot Camp too so as to apply fan made patches and a couple of widescreen hacks (click for screenshots), then copied the data files over those I installed via crossover.  The fan patches may work right in crossover but I didn't check since I was sure this method would work.

The widescreen/high resolution hack also works on Baldurs Gate 2.... PC version (it hacks the exe as well as updates data files).

If I find my copy of BG2 I'll see if I can dig up the nerve to go though that (isn't it like 6 cd's?) install.

#8 Zortrium

Zortrium

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:06 AM

I've gone through the process of getting BG2 to work on several recent Macs and there are two steps I haven't seen mentioned in this thread (I don't recognize the particular error you've mentioned, but I couldn't get the game to run until I did these steps in any case):

1. Create a new folder called "temp" in your BG2 directory.  If there's already a file there named "temp", delete it and replace it with the new folder.
2. On some dual core machines, BG2 will crash when you try to save your game.  To prevent this, you need to disable one of the cores - luckily, disabling/enabling a core is trivial with the CPU preference pane (not installed by default, but comes with the Mac OS X developer tools).  I had this problem on a dual core G5 but didn't on a Core 2 Duo iMac.
16 Ghz Core 9 Octo, 256 GB RAM, Radeon 15900, industrial strength freezer, 50 foot LCD, hyperbolic tendencies.

#9 Gliniolu

Gliniolu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:35 AM

Can someone explain a bit what are those crossover things? You can play BG2 or Planetscape on OSX?

#10 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:04 AM

When you installed the game did you go for the maximum install ? Or just the default Easy/Minimum ?

Seeing this thread I've just installed BG2 on my iMac (2.33 Mhz C2Duo, 3GB RAM, 7600GT, 10.5.6) as a maximum Mac OS X install and patched to 1.12 and all seems to be well. I've played through the tutorial, gone into the main game & saved & loaded successfully.

#11 Crunchy in milk

Crunchy in milk

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:55 AM

View PostGliniolu, on January 2nd 2009, 02:35 PM, said:

Can someone explain a bit what are those crossover things? You can play BG2 or Planetscape on OSX?

http://www.codeweave...oducts/cxgames/

It supports some games but is mostly hit & miss.

I have only tried Lionheart and Planescape but I have read that all infinity engine games run with some tweaking.  It is for installing and playing PC titles, not mac versions.  Intel only.

#12 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:45 AM

This is an odd thread. I've never had a problem getting BG2 to run in OSX, and I'm packing a C2D and Leopard. I only uninstalled it a couple of days ago.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#13 CPE413

CPE413

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:36 AM

View Postcharmin, on January 10th 2009, 05:45 AM, said:

This is an odd thread. I've never had a problem getting BG2 to run in OSX, and I'm packing a C2D and Leopard. I only uninstalled it a couple of days ago.

Ok, but did you also run TOB?  And is it Mac OSX Leopard?  Please post things that might help me!

#14 Togglemeister

Togglemeister

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:18 PM

I assume most of you installed the Baldurs Gate 2 1.1.2 patch?
If not its still located here. I also have it still as a sit/installer so I can email it to you if need be.
http://downloads.zdn...mp;docid=422395
(Now) Late 2013 27" 3.4 ghz iMac, stock configurations.
(Then) 2005 Powermac G5 Dual Core 2.3 ghz, Leopard, 256mb nvidia 6600GT.
(Archived) DA w/Single Sonnet G4 1.4 ghz  2mb L3, Tiger, 1 gb ram, 128 mb ati 9800 pro (AGP)

#15 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

dumb me.. i never knew they made a mac version of baldurs gate... but I have the Windows versions and 1 and 2 with expansions I can get them all to work fine in Wine with little trouble... runs better than anything Ive used Rosetta for... but I dunno if thats an option for you.. cuz I'm guessing the BG2 discs you have are probably a Mac only version...?

#16 CPE413

CPE413

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:34 PM

View Postdoh123, on March 22nd 2009, 01:32 PM, said:

dumb me.. i never knew they made a mac version of baldurs gate... but I have the Windows versions and 1 and 2 with expansions I can get them all to work fine in Wine with little trouble... runs better than anything Ive used Rosetta for... but I dunno if thats an option for you.. cuz I'm guessing the BG2 discs you have are probably a Mac only version...?

yes, i bought the mac only version and am almost wishing i bought the cheaper windows version and played it on my old, run down windows machine :(