2 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:13 AM

The Mac Observer has posted a new feature article covering the Mac version of ToCA Race Driver 3, the racing game developed by Codemasters. ToCa features 70 licensed cars, 80 licensed tracks, and more than 35 racing types. The Mac Observer recommended the game to fans of the genre.

From the review:

All of the cut scenes are fun, and Rick is an engaging character who sometimes lays on his Scottish brogue a bit too thick but is otherwise enjoyable to watch. I'm not 100% sure of this, but it looks like the cut scenes were filmed live and then rotoscoped with CGI. At any rate, they're a cut above the cut scenes you typically see in games like this one, where they tend to be more of an after-thought.

When you're racing, you'll also appreciate ToCA 3's excellent graphics and sound. Even on a mid-level computer like an iMac, the visuals are realistic, from the sunlight glinting off the cars to the dirt that gets kicked up if you stray off the track. The sound also makes you feel like you're in the middle of the action, especially the dirt that pings off the underside of the vehicle in the off-road races.

While the Rick-accompanied World Tour features a smorgasbord of racing types, Pro Career lets you stick with one of eight disciplines and work your way up the ladder, without his involvement. Unfortunately, if you want to race online against others, you're limited to the Mac-only service GameRanger. While GameRanger offers a good experience, it's always better to play against Windows gamers too, if possible; that way you have a much wider variety of competition.
Visit the link below to read the rest of the review.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 panjandrum

panjandrum

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

For those interested, the demo of ToCA Race Driver 3 Supports force-feedback devices.

I'm a racing-sim fan, so I immediately tried the Mac demo out with the Logitech DFP (driving force pro). For Mac users who don't know, this is a 900-degree force feedback wheel originally designed alongside GT4 on the PS2.

I needed no software drivers of any kind, and after calibration it worked just fine (except one thing, see below). I did have to force it to 900 degree mode since it defaulted to 200, but once in 900 degree mode it appeared to support it properly. I also manually set it to 100% feedback mode because the game's maximum feedback level was still a bit low. The feedback felt very realistic, with the wheel lightening dramatically when off-tarmac and with excellent tactile feedback from vehicle weight-shifting and from the rumble-strips.

The only downside (and it is a very bad one) is that there is a very slight delay between doing something with the pedals and a response in the game. This delay is about 1/4 second, which is enough to drive you nuts. I'm going so assume this is something they will fix with the final release, but if they don't fix it, it will be a game-killer for any true racing simulator fan. I haven't tried out my G25 with it yet, but in theory it will behave the same way.

#3 The Animaster

The Animaster

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Steam ID:theanimaster

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:12 AM

View Postpanjandrum, on November 15th 2008, 03:16 AM, said:

For those interested, the demo of ToCA Race Driver 3 Supports force-feedback devices.

I'm a racing-sim fan, so I immediately tried the Mac demo out with the Logitech DFP (driving force pro). For Mac users who don't know, this is a 900-degree force feedback wheel originally designed alongside GT4 on the PS2.

I needed no software drivers of any kind, and after calibration it worked just fine (except one thing, see below). I did have to force it to 900 degree mode since it defaulted to 200, but once in 900 degree mode it appeared to support it properly. I also manually set it to 100% feedback mode because the game's maximum feedback level was still a bit low. The feedback felt very realistic, with the wheel lightening dramatically when off-tarmac and with excellent tactile feedback from vehicle weight-shifting and from the rumble-strips.

The only downside (and it is a very bad one) is that there is a very slight delay between doing something with the pedals and a response in the game. This delay is about 1/4 second, which is enough to drive you nuts. I'm going so assume this is something they will fix with the final release, but if they don't fix it, it will be a game-killer for any true racing simulator fan. I haven't tried out my G25 with it yet, but in theory it will behave the same way.

You must be the same person who poster over at the MacObserver. Tell me though -- just exactly WHAT do you mean by "force it to 900" ?? I've tried the G25 on the 2 ToCA RD3 demos and 900 is not recognised. it's still 180, and this is confirmed with an external view where the wheel goes full turn at just 180. You can also feel that the wheel stops at 180 (though through excessive force you can still turn the wheel past this). Multiturn option is set as the controller.
Early 2011 Macbook Pro 15"@1680x1050 matte option 1GB Radeon 6750M 16GB RAM