Colin McRae Demo graphics issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyO

JohnnyO

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:34 PM

I've downloaded the CMR demo, and it plays well on my March 2008 MacBook Pro.  Today I tried it on an external display.  I was connected to a large screen plasma TV using the DVI out connected via VGA converter plug to the VGA input on the TV.

The Macintosh desktop was set for dual (non-mirrored) displays.  The TV was set to 1024 by 768, and other (non-game) apps looked fine.

Two issues:

1) CMR would only display in 800x600 or smaller.  Selecting 1024 by 768 would just display colored spots as if the syncing was incorrect.  I also had this same issue in the demo for ToCA Race Driver 3.

2) When using 800x600 or 640x480, many parts of the game background were not displayed correctly.  Lots of white patches, and/or what looked like the nVidia banners on the roadway!  Is this fixed in the actual game?  The Feral web site does not list any patches.  I do not have this issue with the new ToCA Race Driver 3 demo.

Game play is a lot of fun.  If item #2 is resolved in the actual game, I will probably buy it.

Thanks,

John

#2 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:09 AM

View PostJohnnyO, on November 11th 2008, 02:34 PM, said:

I've downloaded the CMR demo, and it plays well on my March 2008 MacBook Pro.  Today I tried it on an external display.  I was connected to a large screen plasma TV using the DVI out connected via VGA converter plug to the VGA input on the TV.

The Macintosh desktop was set for dual (non-mirrored) displays.  The TV was set to 1024 by 768, and other (non-game) apps looked fine.

Two issues:

1) CMR would only display in 800x600 or smaller.  Selecting 1024 by 768 would just display colored spots as if the syncing was incorrect.  I also had this same issue in the demo for ToCA Race Driver 3.

2) When using 800x600 or 640x480, many parts of the game background were not displayed correctly.  Lots of white patches, and/or what looked like the nVidia banners on the roadway!  Is this fixed in the actual game?  The Feral web site does not list any patches.  I do not have this issue with the new ToCA Race Driver 3 demo.

Game play is a lot of fun.  If item #2 is resolved in the actual game, I will probably buy it.

Thanks,

John

I don't think it should be in the main game but as soon as you attach games to a plasma display things become very hard to debug as it could be a facet of your display that is causing the problems not the game, the fact it runs perfectly on your built in display make me think it might be a refresh rate or similar issue between your plasma and your mac that effects how the game send signals or draws.

Have you tried things like running both monitors in mirror mode, what happens then? What resolutions and refresh rates does your monitor support exactly? Have you checked what settings and refresh rates you have set in the pre-game panel?

The best thing to do is email the support email address built into the game with a support report (see support tab in the game for more details). When you run the support report it would be useful if you have the plasma attached so the report can record the profile of the plasma.

Once the email hits support it will get filtered through to Jon and he should be able to have a look and see if we can suggest something, if the second bigger demo works I would expect the full game to be fine.

Cheers,

Edwin

#3 JohnnyO

JohnnyO

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the pointer to the support report.  I'll run a couple of reports and send them in.

Here is a bit of additional info:

On the second issue - to clarify - it was with the Colin McRae demo, not the TOCA RD3 demo.  I also tried the CMR demo on a PowerMac G5 with two 20" LCD displays.  I saw the same behavior there, where the game ran fine on the first display, but saw the large unusual graphic "blotches" on the second display.

Thanks again,

John

View Postedddeduck, on November 14th 2008, 04:09 AM, said:

Have you tried things like running both monitors in mirror mode, what happens then? What resolutions and refresh rates does your monitor support exactly? Have you checked what settings and refresh rates you have set in the pre-game panel?

The best thing to do is email the support email address built into the game with a support report (see support tab in the game for more details). When you run the support report it would be useful if you have the plasma attached so the report can record the profile of the plasma.

Once the email hits support it will get filtered through to Jon and he should be able to have a look and see if we can suggest something, if the second bigger demo works I would expect the full game to be fine.

Cheers,

Edwin