Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

So there's a "Windows Gaming" subforum where we can talk about windows games, and a "Windows on Mac" subforum where we can talk about windows - games included. And indeed, there are a number of games threads in the latter.

I'd like to offer an unsolicited suggestion to combine both subforums into one so I don't have to remember which subforum the game discussion I'm following is in. :)
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

What we are trying to do is to offer specific help to new and experienced Bootcamp users in the Windows on Mac forum.  It is meant to be a handy goto place to solve your Windows problems which many of us are new to.  Game specific posts should go in the other forum which discuss Windows games in general.  Sometimes the lines cross a little that's why we said in the description that it can be game related, but they actually are two very different topics.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:32 AM

I agree with Brad. The line between the two boards is becoming blurred.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#4 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:32 AM

in which case, all we need is for tBC to restyle his dictatorship, Mao stylee, cull all the old types and get a bunch of feverish new students to do all his bidding...

oh, and make the division clearer. Games themselves go in Windows Gaming, whilst problems and general discussion of windows on macs go in boot camp.

to take an example, Far Cry 2 talk goes in Windows Gaming, whilst FEAR vs. Logitech mouse issues goes in Windows on Macs.

as for tracking your favourite thread, I just use the 'View New Posts' function, so I have this problem not.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:05 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on November 6th 2008, 04:32 AM, said:

I agree with Brad. The line between the two boards is becoming blurred.
I want to allow you guys some degree of drift.  But if any of you think a thread is in the wrong forum then send me a PM, if you hit the report button all admins will see it and they will not be amused.

View Postteflon, on November 6th 2008, 05:32 AM, said:

oh, and make the division clearer. Games themselves go in Windows Gaming, whilst problems and general discussion of windows on macs go in boot camp.

to take an example, Far Cry 2 talk goes in Windows Gaming, whilst FEAR vs. Logitech mouse issues goes in Windows on Macs.
This is how it was originally envisioned.  Discussion of Windows games in one forum, discussion of operating Windows on your Mac (which can include solving a Windows gaming issue) in the other forum.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

As long as you guys continue to enforce that, then that's fine.

The one abut FEAR can go into windows on mac now.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:24 PM

I always took it as "windows games" goes into the gaming forum, and "windows on mac" was for the nitty gritty aspect of making that hellish beast run in bootcamp.

Hmm.

Combining them I don't think would be as good... since then it gets confusing where to ask about bootcamp troubles... like would that go into "Mac OS Related" ? even though its not much mac os, but more of windows being a snit with bootcamp? Hmm.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:43 PM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on November 6th 2008, 04:07 PM, said:

As long as you guys continue to enforce that, then that's fine.

The one abut FEAR can go into windows on mac now.
This is a reasonable candidate to go into the Windows on Mac forum.  I'll move it and blame it on you.  Now would be a good time to change your underwear.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:18 AM

Don't you mean his address? Or his classroom?

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#10 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:02 PM

View PostFrigidman, on November 6th 2008, 05:24 PM, said:

Combining them I don't think would be as good... since then it gets confusing where to ask about bootcamp troubles... like would that go into "Mac OS Related" ? even though its not much mac os, but more of windows being a snit with bootcamp? Hmm.

If the forum was named "Windows gaming on the Mac" then it'd be crystal clear. Boot Camp, Crossover, VMWare, DOSBox or anything involving Windows goes in here. I'll make it easier: you can use that exact phrasing for the subforum description. ;)

As it stands now, the non-Windows-gaming subforum has only a smattering of posts - it's relatively traffic free. I see Crossover threads everywhere, and Windows-specific game threads are in both Windows subforums. I have the hardest time finding the various Crossover threads, FWIW.

Edit: I made a hash of my explanation. What I meant was that the Windows forum that's non-gaming (but allows game discussion!) doesn't see a lot of traffic. Also I meant that I see Crossover threads *everywhere* - the general forum, the Windows gaming forum, etc.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:39 PM

I'm pretty sure what the "F" stands for, but what does the "WIW" stand for?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:42 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on November 7th 2008, 02:39 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure what the "F" stands for

Well, you're wrong, for what it's worth.  ;)  It stands for Frogs Wear Impressive Wigs.

--Eric

#13 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:22 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on November 7th 2008, 12:39 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure what the "F" stands for, but what does the "WIW" stand for?

FWIW == the noise my cat makes when I step on his tail. I should have probably added a few exclamation points to more accurately depict the volume level - the all-caps doesn't cut it.

See, I figured being a battle cat, you'd already know...
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#14 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:33 PM

How bout we make a new category of windows gaming on mac, and then break it out into 15 sub forums each dealing with a genre, and area, and then copy all that for each kind of windows emulation (wine, bootcamp, vm, etc) ... :D :D ...

OH, you wanted to combine the two into just one. Ah.

Much pondering will be done on this.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#15 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

View PostFrigidman, on November 7th 2008, 04:33 PM, said:

How bout we make a new category of windows gaming on mac, and then break it out into 15 sub forums each dealing with a genre, and area, and then copy all that for each kind of windows emulation (wine, bootcamp, vm, etc) ... :D :D ...

OH, you wanted to combine the two into just one. Ah.

Much pondering will be done on this.

Thanks. I went ahead and clarified my earlier post with an edit. I know you were joking and understood what I meant, but I re-read it and realized it was a mess.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#16 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:13 AM

ohhhhhh true.!

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD