• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Steam ID:theanimaster

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

View PostJanichsan, on October 13th 2008, 02:55 PM, said:

Yes, it is.

AUUUGH! dfjlhdshjsdhsrelhnhaerj !!

Well...here's to hoping that the next gen macbook pros ARE good at gaming... otherwise what am I getting PRO for when the AIR would be better for what I'm -mainly- going to use it for (mobility, classroom presentations, grading, and running Parallels and Bootcamp...)??
Early 2011 Macbook Pro 15"@1680x1050 matte option 1GB Radeon 6750M 16GB RAM

#42 maccer

maccer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:07 AM

View PostThe Animaster, on October 13th 2008, 06:24 PM, said:

running Parallels and Bootcamp
For those you would be better off with the Macbook Pro. The Air can only have 2 GB of RAM which might not be enogh for running MacOS + Mac apps + Parallels . Also, you'll quickly run out of HD space if you try to cram a Windows XP (or Vista) image and/or create a Bootcamp partition on a 80 (or 64) GB HD...

#43 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:02 PM

View Postmaccer, on October 13th 2008, 10:19 AM, said:

I'm mainly thinking of Force Feedback support for Intel Macs - if you have a FFB-capable steering wheel, much of the enjoyment playing the game disappears without proper FFB :(

I don't have an Intel Mac with a wheel to hand to confirm but I'm sure Force Feedback support is present for Intel Macs in Leopard. Are you on Tiger?
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#44 maccer

maccer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

View Postmattw, on October 13th 2008, 08:02 PM, said:

I don't have an Intel Mac with a wheel to hand to confirm but I'm sure Force Feedback support is present for Intel Macs in Leopard. Are you on Tiger?
At least when using the Logitech Formula Force GP it isn't the "real" force feedback but just some random vibrations, see this post:
http://www.insidemac.......&pid=343849
Actually, after re-reading the post I now remember that it doesn't work correctly on any Mac - neither a MBP with Leopard nor a Powermac G5 with Tiger. If someone who knows how the FFB should feel in the CMR series can confirm that it works correctly with another wheel such as the Momo I will buy one.

#45 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:24 PM

Downloading the demo right now, so can't talk about it's performance. I'm just glad that Feral is regularly porting racing games to the Mac. I loved (well still love )Colin Mcrae Rally. I look forward to trying out DTM as well as some the other newer Feral releases.

I don't use bootcamp either so would prefer games that open in OS X.

#46 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:33 AM

To my embarassment, I've only just started downloading the demo.

... might be downloaded by the time the game comes out. We need BitTorrent demos!
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#47 maccer

maccer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:25 AM

FYI: unless anything has changed since I was beta-testing:
Race Driver 3 + Logitech Formula Force GP + Leopard (+ Intel Mac, obviously) = correct force feedback functionality. So it certainly can be done, but it doesn't work for CMR.

#48 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:24 AM

Performance is pretty hot - 1920 x 1200, full graphics (No FSAA) on the machine in my sig and it runs pretty damn well.

Shame I suck at racers.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#49 gernith

gernith

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

is there any way to steer using the mouse?

#50 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

View Postmaccer, on October 14th 2008, 02:25 AM, said:

FYI: unless anything has changed since I was beta-testing:
Race Driver 3 + Logitech Formula Force GP + Leopard (+ Intel Mac, obviously) = correct force feedback functionality. So it certainly can be done, but it doesn't work for CMR.

Another thing for the long awaited patch then :)

View Postgernith, on October 15th 2008, 11:11 AM, said:

is there any way to steer using the mouse?

No, although I have to say when you try mouse steering I always used to crash as it is very hard to get the mouse back to the center point as unlike a wheel or joystick you have no set center point.

I know some of our older games have mouse steering added in so it might be possible in a patch if we have enough interest.

Edwin

#51 Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:46 AM

View Postedddeduck, on October 16th 2008, 01:35 PM, said:

Another thing for the long awaited patch then :)
No, although I have to say when you try mouse steering I always used to crash as it is very hard to get the mouse back to the center point as unlike a wheel or joystick you have no set center point.

I know some of our older games have mouse steering added in so it might be possible in a patch if we have enough interest.

Edwin

Hi eddeduck,

I'd like mouse support too, and maybe in a CMR patch as well.

#52 plokoonpma

plokoonpma

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:30 AM

View Postedddeduck, on October 9th 2008, 10:55 AM, said:

You never asked me a question before! I saw your complaint about how you don't want to play the game or even the demo; that's fine if you don't want to play the game, I don't mind I am sure lots of other people will at least play the demo. :) Secondly if you ask me a question politely then I am happy to answer if I can.
Luckily lots of people who don't have the latest Intel Mac and have older Intel Macs like the original models still want to be able to play games so we try and make sure we have a balance of games that everyone can play not just for the people with new machines with lot and lots of RAM etc.
Race Driver 3 was released in 2006 so the game is 2 years old not 28! Apart from that I am sorry you think everything sucks and you have already finished all the games on PC (so even if we ported Grid you would not play it). As I mentioned we have a mix of games to try and cover all Mac users from the modern machines through to the older Intel and PPC machines.

Again I am sorry you are so upset and feel the need to complain about us making the game for the Mac. I hope our releases in the future are more to your taste and in the meantime I am hopeful a lot of other Mac users will have fun playing Race Driver 3.

Best Regards,

Edwin

Eddeduck

Please port Grid, don't listen to him please.
I had the demo over bootcamp and dam I loved, now that I rempoved windows for good I miss a lot that Evo sound.
The more games the better.
iMac 20" 2.4 / 4gbs ram
eMac 1.42 / 2gbs ram
MBP 15" 2.4 / 4gbs ram
MacPro 8core 3ghz/ati x1900xt/9gbs ram

[a] FrOg
Game Ranger account: 135977

#53 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:36 AM

The second demo is here. This time with touring cars and V8s.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#54 gernith

gernith

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:44 PM

View PostJanichsan, on October 23rd 2008, 01:36 PM, said:

The second demo is here. This time with touring cars and V8s.

Provided link requires login?

#55 gernith

gernith

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

Nevermind, I found it here:
http://download.games4mac.de/

Great game!  Can't wait to try the full game.

#56 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:59 AM

View Postgernith, on October 24th 2008, 03:47 AM, said:

Nevermind, I found it here:
http://download.games4mac.de/
Actually, that was supposed to be the same link, but it seems you cannot link to the download directly.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#57 alkar

alkar

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:06 PM

ACtually i DO want feral to port GRID, because I enjoy it in multiplayer, even though eddeduck claims that i wouldn't play it anymore because I finished it on Windows.

BTW Eddeduck, FYI, i'm playing CoD 4 on OSX even though i finished the single player compaign a while back on Windows.

And he wont port GRID, because Feral is affraid this game will only run on "Mac Pro" (btw it runs perfectly on a 8600GT with most details at max...) and they want lots of people to buy this game... So they'd rather port a 2006 game that would not need lots of optimizations (too complicated i guess to optimize games nowadays) to run on 2008 machines...

Eddeduck, think what you want, I think your strategy isn't the best. It's alright to port LEGENDS game, as you are saying, but is TOCA 3 a legends game ? Or is it another one you are gonna sell full price (i.e. the same as GRID PC ?). This IS NOT ok, even though it costs Feral a lot to port this game, I don't care. What is GRID PC worth these days on PC ? 50 euros ? For 40 euros I have its predecessor on OSX, yay ! Just port the latest one, sell it for 50 euros and although people claim they are happy with TOCA3, i'm sure they'd like GRID better (come on, Codemasters really did make a better game this times.. GRID had better reviews than TOCA 3 for its time)

I guess we will have GRID when GRID 2 (or whatever its name) will be out for PC/360/PS3... Too bad then. And for people who are telling Mac gaming isn't for me ? Well I dunno how you guys got used to pay 40 euros for old PC games on OSX, but i'm not. Guess you guys like to be ripped off. TOCA 3 must be 15 euros these days for Windows. Mac gaming can be a lot better than that, whether or not you guys ARE USED to play old games, I'm not and this can change.

All my posts are trying to send this message so game publishers make things move. And Apple is moving their asses, yes, stop telling Apple is blah blah blah not doing anything. I'll take, AGAIN, the example of WoW which runs in most cases better than Vista, stop stop talking bullpopsnizzle telling mac gaming is not for me. This game was out at the same time for PC and OSX, with a proper optimization for BOTH platform so IT'S possible. I don't care Feral ISNT Blizzard, then if you are not BLIZZARD, sell your game at a lower price instead of selling them full price.

I know i'm gonna pay 50-60 euros for StarCraft II / Diablo 3, knowing i'll play with PC users AT THE VERY SAME TIME they are playing it, full speed etc rather than paying 40 euros for TOCA 3. Where is the bargain here ? I don't get it...

Eddeduck, I know you don't care about what I'm saying because as long as Macbook people buy your games you are happy, but just wanted to tell you, not everyone is astonished by Feral lately, even though lots of fanboys there are impressed by TOCA 3. I guess that people that never played Pacman before should try it now, they'd be impressed.... Oh better, i guess you should at Feral port MS Pacman, for 40 euros, people will love it ! I know I love it !

View Postplokoonpma, on October 21st 2008, 07:30 AM, said:

Eddeduck

Please port Grid, don't listen to him please.
I had the demo over bootcamp and dam I loved, now that I rempoved windows for good I miss a lot that Evo sound.
The more games the better.

#58 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:15 PM

View Postalkar, on October 25th 2008, 03:06 PM, said:

even though it costs Feral a lot to port this game, I don't care.

Great, so what are they supposed to do, go out of business?  I guess you wouldn't care about that, either.  If the original publishers aren't interested in doing a Mac version in-house (which 99% of them don't do unfortunately), then the only alternative is a port, which costs more and takes longer, period.  Unless the original publisher gives them a fantastic deal, they simply cannot afford to price it much less, or else they will make no money.  If you can't deal with this, then just stick to Windows.

--Eric

#59 alkar

alkar

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:18 PM

Do you think it'd cost them a lot more to port GRID rather than TOCA 3 ? I'm not sure. So yeah, I don't care. Guess you didn't get my point from the very beginning of my posts that Feral should approach original publishers to do ports for them even before the PC version is out (so they can start working on it). So then we don't get a port ages after the PC version.

View PostEric5h5, on October 25th 2008, 01:15 PM, said:

Great, so what are they supposed to do, go out of business?  I guess you wouldn't care about that, either.  If the original publishers aren't interested in doing a Mac version in-house (which 99% of them don't do unfortunately), then the only alternative is a port, which costs more and takes longer, period.  If you can't deal with it, then just stick to Windows.

--Eric

#60 gernith

gernith

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:30 PM

Does anyone know how the internet multiplay works as far as game set-up?  Can you browse for games to join like you can with first person shooters?  You cant really jump into the middle of a race thats halfway over?

I'm hoping maybe someone has played this on the PC and knows the drill.

Thanks
Gern