To some PPC Mac owners: stop giving games low scores for being Intel only.

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#41 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:03 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on October 8th 2008, 04:41 AM, said:

*Still waiting for his PowerBook G5*

I heard it's coming out next Tuesday.

--Eric

#42 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:44 AM

All your PPCs are belong to us.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#43 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

Intel CPUs just turned Apples into over priced PCs. Sorry but I don't blame hard core "Macattics" pissed about the change and the lack of support for the PPC. A LOT of people stayed faithful to the Mac platform well before it became trendy. Most developers and Apple themselves have not only turned their backs on us but broke our current hardware in a lot of aspects. 10.5.5 runs like crap on my system compared to 10.4 or even 10.3 and its the same damn architecture! Sorry guys but you lost an Apple soldier when you went Intel. Its why I went AMD out of spite.

And FYI Iv been using Apples since the II. It cut me deeply when this all went down. Now they are all just overpriced "brandname" trend garbage.

<<< Sits back and waits for the aqua colored grenades to start to fall in his cubical.
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#44 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:28 AM

We would have had Power Mac G6s by now.

They would have been fast. Very fast.

I can't wait to see what the next bomb Apple will drop on it's dumb sheep.

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#45 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:59 PM

View PostThe Mail Man, on October 8th 2008, 04:21 PM, said:

Intel CPUs just turned Apples into over priced PCs.

But adopting Intel also turned Macs into a viable option for many Windows users who otherwise would've baulked at the very idea of buying a Mac.  So from a business point of view alone, it made sense & sales figures confirm it.  Pity PPC couldn't deliver faster laptops, hey?  But I can see how some PPC owners feel the way they do (btw, I have one of each).  As for "over-priced"... I'd agree to an extent.  MacBooks & Minis should have been updated months ago!

#46 Naman

Naman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

View PostThe Mail Man, on October 8th 2008, 08:21 AM, said:

Intel CPUs just turned Apples into over priced PCs. Sorry but I don't blame hard core "Macattics" pissed about the change and the lack of support for the PPC. A LOT of people stayed faithful to the Mac platform well before it became trendy. Most developers and Apple themselves have not only turned their backs on us but broke our current hardware in a lot of aspects. 10.5.5 runs like crap on my system compared to 10.4 or even 10.3 and its the same damn architecture! Sorry guys but you lost an Apple soldier when you went Intel. Its why I went AMD out of spite.

And FYI Iv been using Apples since the II. It cut me deeply when this all went down. Now they are all just overpriced "brandname" trend garbage.
<<< Sits back and waits for the aqua colored grenades to start to fall in his cubical.

Computers are tools, not religions or rock bands.

#47 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:08 PM

View PostNaman, on October 8th 2008, 03:00 PM, said:

Computers are tools, not religions or rock bands.
You my friend are new to Apples to say that.
The Mail Man Cometh!

#48 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:55 PM

View Postyo-mike, on October 8th 2008, 04:28 PM, said:

We would have had Power Mac G6s by now.

They would have been fast. Very fast.

I can't wait to see what the next bomb Apple will drop on it's dumb sheep.

As a Power Mac G5 owner (still  :) ) I can see why there is some frustration but I do think the switch to Intel was absolutely necessary. The trend that started back in 2005 and that is carrying on today was for most machines to be portables rather desktops. Unfortunately the G4 was being left behind as Motorola concentrated on the integrated market and the G5 was too hot and designed for performance over power efficiency (being derived from IBM's server chip). The Pentium 4 based developer machines had me worried as they would have been a step backwards but the Core range of chips are impressive and offered a huge improvement over the G4 in particular. With the next range of chips (Nehalem) looking to drop the front side bus the last advantage of the PowerPC architecture will have gone.

My G5 is 4 years old and yet still feels responsive for most tasks. It runs Leopard well and with the exception of H264 video encoding performance and the lack of PPC compatible games plus the noise (relative to the Intel machines) I would probably say it has a couple of years before performance becomes a problem. It is unlikely that we will have a major change again for many years so I can accept a slightly shorter life span but I think the sad thing really has been the software casualties caused by the changes from OS9 to OS X then large changes in OS X itself and finally the architecture change. Many applications and especially games never made it through these. The irony is that most of the same titles still run in Windows so someone who moved to a Mac in 2006 is more likely to be able to use their favourite existing software. If you have been a Mac user for a long time you are pretty much out of luck unless you want to install windows and track down and buy the PC versions of the same titles you already own.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#49 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:56 PM

View PostThe Mail Man, on October 8th 2008, 03:08 PM, said:

You my friend are new to Apples to say that.

Nothing to do with Apple..."my computer can beat up your computer" has been going on since the '80s.  And if not computers, then things like cars, which are also just tools, but people make into even more of a religion than computers....

--Eric

#50 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:20 PM

View PostEric5h5, on October 8th 2008, 03:56 PM, said:

Nothing to do with Apple..."my computer can beat up your computer" has been going on since the '80s.  And if not computers, then things like cars, which are also just tools, but people make into even more of a religion than computers....

--Eric
I guess you haven't had to many conversations with old school mac users. When Mac went to Intel and started running Windows it was the equivalent of someone who loves Mustangs and Ford being bought out by Toyota and putting Chevy engines in the Mustang and then doubling the price. For that the Ford buyer will just buy a Corvette. See my point? Its not the same as with cars as it was with the CPU switch.

Apple has been p--ing all over its customers for the past 7 years and people saying "thank you". I feel like I'm watching "Rawhead Rex" half the time.
The Mail Man Cometh!

#51 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:08 AM

I just do not see why it is that serious. I would rather treat it with as much loyalty as it is going to give you in return as service and goods.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#52 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:55 AM

View PostThe Mail Man, on October 8th 2008, 02:20 PM, said:

I guess you haven't had to many conversations with old school mac users. When Mac went to Intel and started running Windows it was the equivalent of someone who loves Mustangs and Ford being bought out by Toyota and putting Chevy engines in the Mustang and then doubling the price. For that the Ford buyer will just buy a Corvette. See my point? Its not the same as with cars as it was with the CPU switch.

Apple has been pissing all over its customers for the past 7 years and people saying "thank you". I feel like I'm watching "Rawhead Rex" half the time.

The Intel CPU's are far better, more efficient and faster in every respect. Yes it was a pain to move chips (it was a massive effort for us in terms of gaming) but this is what I both like (and sometimes curse ;)) about Apple. They are constantly moving forward selecting the best technology and dropping the older technology.

I started using Apple's when my mother taught me to read and do maths using programs she wrote on our Apple][e and I have used Apple machines ever since, I remember everyone said what about the ][e users when Apple released the Mac, then it was what about the 040 users when PPC came out, then it was what about the G3 users when G4 Altivec chips came out whenever Apple move to a newer chip set the people on the older one's are left behind to a certain degree.

In terms of your description on cars it would be like they removed a standard 2 litre engine and replaced it with a 4 litre turbo engine with better gas milage! The PPC chipset was not focus on consumer machines and the main direction was with server and integrated solutions so it was falling more and more behind the x86 powered PC machines.

Apple took a bold step to move chip set (like they did before with 0x0 chips to PPC) to go where the future roadmap made more sense to the company. Mac's are now if anything slightly cheaper than before, more powerful and still have the most important thing that you need to be a Mac, brilliant design in terms of function and looks, coupled with very well engineered integration between Hardware and Software. This is what has always made a Mac a Mac not a CPU, in fact the first Intel machine (iMac) is exactly like the final G5 iMac we have two side by side and the only way we know which one is which is checking the "About this Mac" or running a game (The Intel is way faster!).

If you look at it Apple have always been famous for the software and integration between this and the nicely designed custom hardware they provide they have not been famous for the chip set they use. I understand some people saying it's nothing more than a fancy looking PC, but that is what Apple's always have been a better looking alternative with better software, it's just you can now also run windows if you like, sounds like a win win situation to me!

Edwin

#53 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:17 AM

Architecture holy wars? In 2008? Really?

Intel happened. Suck it up or buy one.
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#54 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

View Postcharmin, on October 9th 2008, 11:17 AM, said:

Nooooo!!! *Stabs after charmin with his holy PPC-symbol*
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#55 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:20 PM

::Liberator arrives to commentate the whole thing. "Archon's PPC symbol is not fast enough, because it can only move a a mere 2 ms -1, while Charmin's evaisivness can move at a far superior 2.16 ms -1. You also need to take into account that he has the futuristic C2D enhancer. That means that Charmin wins and Archon looses, another battle is over in the Architecture Holy Wars of 2008.

This is Liberator, signing off."::

Liberator.

Edit: Oops sorry, well that is very embarassing I meant thain Esh Kelch. And no, I do not have a secret crush, my heart is for someone else. Guess who? Just kidding. :blush:

Edited by The Liberator, 09 October 2008 - 03:41 PM.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#56 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

When did Archon get involved? o.O
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)

#57 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

View Postcharmin, on October 9th 2008, 11:27 PM, said:

When did Archon get involved? o.O
Maybe he has a secret crush?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#58 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:57 AM

View Postedddeduck, on October 9th 2008, 04:55 AM, said:

The Intel CPU's are far better, more efficient and faster in every respect. Yes it was a pain to move chips (it was a massive effort for us in terms of gaming) but this is what I both like (and sometimes curse ;)) about Apple. They are constantly moving forward selecting the best technology and dropping the older technology.

I started using Apple's when my mother taught me to read and do maths using programs she wrote on our Apple][e and I have used Apple machines ever since, I remember everyone said what about the ][e users when Apple released the Mac, then it was what about the 040 users when PPC came out, then it was what about the G3 users when G4 Altivec chips came out whenever Apple move to a newer chip set the people on the older one's are left behind to a certain degree.

In terms of your description on cars it would be like they removed a standard 2 litre engine and replaced it with a 4 litre turbo engine with better gas milage! The PPC chipset was not focus on consumer machines and the main direction was with server and integrated solutions so it was falling more and more behind the x86 powered PC machines.

Apple took a bold step to move chip set (like they did before with 0x0 chips to PPC) to go where the future roadmap made more sense to the company. Mac's are now if anything slightly cheaper than before, more powerful and still have the most important thing that you need to be a Mac, brilliant design in terms of function and looks, coupled with very well engineered integration between Hardware and Software. This is what has always made a Mac a Mac not a CPU, in fact the first Intel machine (iMac) is exactly like the final G5 iMac we have two side by side and the only way we know which one is which is checking the "About this Mac" or running a game (The Intel is way faster!).

If you look at it Apple have always been famous for the software and integration between this and the nicely designed custom hardware they provide they have not been famous for the chip set they use. I understand some people saying it's nothing more than a fancy looking PC, but that is what Apple's always have been a better looking alternative with better software, it's just you can now also run windows if you like, sounds like a win win situation to me!

For the most part I agree. I'm not saying Windows doesn't crap on their customers. What I am saying is Apple has been doing it more often LATLEY. The Intel switch I understand was an evolutionary move for the architecture. It was sad for me being a Mac fan seeing my beloved platform convert and run windows but it needed to happen for Apple to "evolve". What I don't appreciate is Apple and its developers dropping support for the PPC as fast as they are. The last G5 cpu was used in late 2005 early 2006 and it was a QUAD-CORE. Now around three years later more than half of the new games coming out are not supported and Adobe has dropped 64-bit support for CS4 this time because of some Apples OS "changes" and no one seems to care. They just go buy all new equipment.

Ya know my PC I bought in 2005 and I can run all games maxed out (except Crysis). PLUS I have 64-bit support for CS4 with is very important to me because its how I pay my mortgage. If I were to be relying on Apple like I used to back in the day I would be screwed. I would be screwed for games and work. So its not just because they have become expensive PCs but also PCs with no upgradeability or third party support. Why would I pay more for that? Status? Baaaa I'm not a sheep.

View Postcharmin, on October 9th 2008, 05:17 AM, said:

Well some of us believe it or not rely on our equipment to make us money. And sometimes just SOMETIMES we don't make enough to just "suck it up" and buy one. Good marketing doesn't work on all of us. As far as I'm concerned Apple hasn't built a TRUE Mac since the Quicksilver days.
--

Anyway if in a few years Macs become reasonable and I finally need to upgrade my PC (from 2005) Ill take another good look at Apple. Sorry guys but I'b been assimilated.  :bleedingeyes:
The Mail Man Cometh!

#59 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:03 AM

View PostThe Mail Man, on October 10th 2008, 01:57 PM, said:

And sometimes just SOMETIMES we don't make enough to just "suck it up" and buy one. Good marketing doesn't work on all of us.

Suck it up OR buy one. If you can't buy one, then suck it up - your complaints aren't going to make Apple roll out POWER6 machines... :-/

#60 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:33 AM

View PostThe Mail Man, on October 10th 2008, 02:57 PM, said:

... and Adobe has dropped 64-bit support for CS4 this time because of some Apples OS "changes" and no one seems to care.
I've seen different. On several forums there were an outrage against Adobe (mainly - they haven't done very much to remain popular in the last time, although the lack of 64 bit support is really not their fault) and Apple (when some more knowledgeable persons pointed out why Adobe cannot provide 64 bit support on Macs - even if they wanted).

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"